Recommend a laptop that plays nice with Photoshop

roLLz

Hi all

I've searched the forum and cant find anything recent on the topic.

Basically I'm planning on making some money off of my photography hobby.
So I will be in need of a decent laptop that can run the latest version of Photoshop. I don't need a professional level laptop, just something that won't make life hard by lagging and becoming unresponsive when dealing with image processing.

Budget of around R12k.

Would really appreciate your recommendations.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
Photoshop does not need much. Get an i5 with 4 to 8 gb ram.

Screen size does not matter. Attached and external monitor.

Windows

•Intel® Pentium® 4 or AMD Athlon® 64 processor (2 GHz or faster)
•Microsoft® Windows® 7 with Service Pack 1, Windows 8, or Windows 8.1 *
•1 GB of RAM.
•2.5 GB of available hard-disk space for installation; additional free space required during installation (cannot install on removable flash storage devices)

Faux_Grey

I run adobe photoshop CS6 on my R3000 netbook. (Celeron 1.6Ghz, 4Gb Ram, 120Gb SSD.)
It just takes a bit longer to render things.

In terms of performance when it comes to a laptop, you want to avoid any intel CPU that has the "u" designation at the end as those are low power chips.

In terms of budget the cheapest "Q" designated laptop I can find is an i5 here: http://www.evetech.co.za/n/2473/msi-cr72-6m-core-i5-laptop-deal-with-8gb-ram.aspx

Your options are to take a decently-priced laptop with a mobility processor : http://www.evetech.co.za/n/2329/asuspro-p2520la-intel-core-i3-laptop-deal.aspx

or go over budget and get the performance class i5 processor.

Please don't be fooled by getting a "u" variant laptop i5 and think it is quad core and better than an i3, they aren't.
The only difference between the laptop "u" processors is the turbo boost clock speed for single-thread workloads.

Don't forget you'd get better photoshop performance with a dedicated graphics card as well.

On that, you'd get much better price/performance on a desktop machine, you mention an external screen so it sounds like you're tied down somewhere, I'd just get a desktop pc.

Last edited: