Recommend an under counter RO system

SykomantiS

Expert Member
Hi,

As per the title, I'm looking to install an under counter RO water system in our home.
Can anyone recommend a good brand / unit that won't break the bank?
Preferably a 5 stage, with installation in Pta.

Ghost64

Expert Member
I used a company in woodmead but they’ve since closed down however the guy still does private jobs and sells the best products, our system allows us to use BWT filter system which is cool. BWT sponsors Aston Martin in F1.
Where about in PTA are you exactly?

SykomantiS

Expert Member
Have a look at…

Thanks, I'm working my way through the info on the site, all the filters and pre-filers and whatnot.
I used a company in woodmead but they’ve since closed down however the guy still does private jobs and sells the best products, our system allows us to use BWT filter system which is cool. BWT sponsors Aston Martin in F1.
Where about in PTA are you exactly?
I'm in Elardus Park.

airborne

Honorary Master
Theoretically what is the healthiest water for human consumption?

What is with the claim that RO water creates some type of ions in the water that can scavage or leech minerals from your body?

Ghost64

Expert Member
Thanks, I'm working my way through the info on the site, all the filters and pre-filers and whatnot.

I'm in Elardus Park.
Is it a new house or old with new kitchen? Coz you will need lots of under counter space.

saor

Honorary Master
Theoretically what is the healthiest water for human consumption?

What is with the claim that RO water creates some type of ions in the water that can scavage or leech minerals from your body?
Not sure but I've been considering one of these filtration units...seems cheaper than R/O and less hassle than a jug.
https://h2o.co.za/product/pct-portable-countertop-purifier-chlora/

I went through a phase of using a distiller but it was getting a bit too expensive to run. Two weeks of distilling water and the amount of **** smelling gunk in the bottom of the tank :sick:.

airborne

Honorary Master
Not sure but I've been considering one of these filtration units...seems cheaper than R/O and less hassle than a jug.
https://h2o.co.za/product/pct-portable-countertop-purifier-chlora/

I went through a phase of using a distiller but it was getting a bit too expensive to run. Two weeks of distilling water and the amount of **** smelling gunk in the bottom of the tank :sick:.
I've had one of those, I don't know how effective they are as filters but the water you get from them tastes great.

SykomantiS

Expert Member
Is it a new house or old with new kitchen? Coz you will need lots of under counter space.
I'm aware of the space requirements. We recently moved house, and the old house had a system installed, but it's an old system (like, 15 years, or more?)- Aqua Lambda or something, and I think it was only a 3 stage system.

Hence my asking here for opinions or recommendations- I could get the same system as at the old house (if those are even still on the market), but surely there have been improvements and or newer products.

wetkit

Expert Member
I have had one of these installed for the past 5 years...
Lekkerwater
Just a shame the LekkerWater website seems to be down for maint...
You have to service it every year.
We installed it after everybody in town started getting the shitz.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I'm aware of the space requirements. We recently moved house, and the old house had a system installed, but it's an old system (like, 15 years, or more?)- Aqua Lambda or something, and I think it was only a 3 stage system.

Hence my asking here for opinions or recommendations- I could get the same system as at the old house (if those are even still on the market), but surely there have been improvements and or newer products.

I really don’t know if a 5-stage is required.

The 2-stage does the job just fine for me.

SykomantiS

Expert Member
I really don’t know if a 5-stage is required.

The 2-stage does the job just fine for me.
Well, my thinking is that I'm an avid homebrewer and I'd like to strip out as much as possible of everything from my brewing water in order to build accurate water profiles for brewing- so this water will not only be drinking and cooking / general consumption water, but brewing water as well.

I have done some searching and I see some systems claim 95% purification while other claim 99% and so forth. I'd like to the best possible, realistically.

joker08

Expert Member
U need a RO mostly when the water u get is not suitable for drinking, for example water from a borehole.
If its council water then the normal water filters, like the one @saor suggested is enough.
Most packaged drinking water companies or cold drink companies use an RO system.
I drink straight from the tap, but my wife is a little paranoid so she boils the water, she doesnt trust the filters we get here. Back in mumbai we had a water filter called "aqua guard", not a RO but has three stage filtering including a UV light thing to kill germs.

s0lar

Expert Member
your input was better ?
Perhaps not. But I am also interested in an under counter system. I prefer the thread not be side tracked liked the political and philosophical threads here.