Recommend me a decent WAN router with traffic bandwidth monitoring.

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
So I have 2 routers in my house, one is in extender mode, they work great and all but when I feel like a device is sucking up all the bandwidth I cannot really tell which device it is off the bat.

Is there a nice WAN router out there that can tell me in realtime what is doing what and it doesnt have to be the highest spec. AC750 is fine for now.

Thanks.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
What are those two devices?

Good chance you can possibly flash one of them or maybe even both with a third party firmware that will do what you want it to do.

Any router by definition is a WAN router. I’m guessing you mean one with a WAN port?

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
What are those two devices?

Good chance you can possibly flash one of them or maybe even both with a third party firmware that will do what you want it to do.

Any router by definition is a WAN router. I’m guessing you mean one with a WAN port?
I got a TP-Link Archer C2 as the main and a Dlink DIR 825 as the extender.

Looks like the TP link does support WRT

Yea, I call non DSL routers WAN routers.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
DD-WRT is one option and more simple out of the box.

OpenWRT is another.

Daruk

Honorary Master
So I have 2 routers in my house, one is in extender mode, they work great and all but when I feel like a device is sucking up all the bandwidth I cannot really tell which device it is off the bat.

Is there a nice WAN router out there that can tell me in realtime what is doing what and it doesnt have to be the highest spec. AC750 is fine for now.

Thanks.
Any device that supports Gargoyle or Tomato firmware.
Not sure about DD-WRT or OpenWRT and monitoring bandwidth. Tomato and Gargoyle do it out of the box.

Soul Assassin

Honorary Master
Nice for current bandwidth throughput per client, but does it do historic usage per client?
My AC9 is only in AP mode so I can't check but I'm sure when I used it as a router I remember there being traffic stats showing TX and RX bytes per client.

Arthur

Honorary Master
Irrelevant sidebar in relief of a peeve:

In English, when the verb "recommend" has both a direct and indirect object, the dative case of the indirect object is indicated with "to".

The thread subject should be either "Recommend a decent WAN router..." or "Recommend to me a decent...".

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
1590333542795.png

Unifi is nice if you want something user friendly. Hardware is bit pricier than your standard consumer stuff though, somebody has to pay the salaries of all those software developers :laugh:

You can get a Unifi switch and wifi AP which would allow you to see all connected devices activity - if you can find a UDM then it has a switch + router + wifi built in, it's a little pricey though.

MrDraytek

Draytek Rep
Company Rep
The DrayTek routers offer this feature as part of their Diagnostics suite - it's called the Data Flow Monitor.

You can check out a live web demo of the SoHo-focussed DrayTek Vigor2133 series router here: http://eu.draytek.com:12133/ (the menu option that you're looking for is Diagnostics>>Data Flow Monitor)

Being a demo, you won't be able to enable it, but you can see the layout and the kind of info that it'll give you.

That particular router has embedded 802.11ac WiFi and supports WAN fail-over, VPN's, QoS/Bandwidth Limits, object-oriented Firewall, DynDNS etc, though there are larger models with more features if you have other requirements like load-balancing multiple WAN connections or embedded LTE SIM card slots, etc.

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
The DrayTek routers offer this feature as part of their Diagnostics suite - it's called the Data Flow Monitor.

You can check out a live web demo of the SoHo-focussed DrayTek Vigor2133 series router here: http://eu.draytek.com:12133/ (the menu option that you're looking for is Diagnostics>>Data Flow Monitor)

Being a demo, you won't be able to enable it, but you can see the layout and the kind of info that it'll give you.

That particular router has embedded 802.11ac WiFi and supports WAN fail-over, VPN's, QoS/Bandwidth Limits, object-oriented Firewall, DynDNS etc, though there are larger models with more features if you have other requirements like load-balancing multiple WAN connections or embedded LTE SIM card slots, etc.
Yeah looks good, but will it display traffic stats of users connected to a different AP?

MrDraytek

Draytek Rep
Company Rep
Yeah looks good, but will it display traffic stats of users connected to a different AP?
The Tx and Rx bandwidth should display for each IP on the LAN - presumably the router would be the gateway and DHCP server for the whole network (including the WLAN clients behind the AP), and the presence of an "intermediary" AP shouldn't factor in.

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
The Tx and Rx bandwidth should display for each IP on the LAN - presumably the router would be the gateway and DHCP server for the whole network (including the WLAN clients behind the AP), and the presence of an "intermediary" AP shouldn't factor in.
Cool, any chance i can get my hands on a demo unit for testing?