Recommendation for Ryzen motherboard and case please

pug306

Hi all,

I am planning to build a new PC for my son because his Haswell core i3 box will be given to my father to replace his aging core 2 duo system.

I have decided to get him a Ryzen 2200G for now and may replace it with the upcoming Ryzen 3000 series. So I need a AM4 motherboard that is future-proof.

I have 3 choices:
Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite
MSI B450 Tomahawk
MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC

I am not planning to overclock but the system must have bluetooth connectivity for his xbox one controller.

I like the Carbon AC because of the integrated wifi and bluetooth but it's a bit expensive and out of stock at some places.
The other 2 are cheaper but I must buy a separate wifi adapter and a bluetooth dongle.

I am also looking for a new case for this PC. Anything less than R900 if possible but should have a 5.25 inch external bay for a DVD writer.

pug306

I've got the B450 Aorus, nice board for bluetooth and wireless just by external adapters they are a hundred bugs maybe a bit more. Though why not just look at
https://www.wootware.co.za/asrock-b450m-hdv-amd-b450-ryzen-socket-am4-micro-atx-desktop-motherboard.html
The Asrock one looks decent, but I'm used to having more than 1 PCIe slot on ATX board for further use/expansion. But then this system will be built for my son for gaming.

I want to ask for an advice with regards to PSU as well. What PSU should I get? Modular one?

He already have a 4GB GTX1050ti and may upgrade to a RX570/580 or GTX1660. The new system will have a new 240GB M2 SSD for OS, his old 120GB 2.5 inch SSD for some games and a new 1TB HDD for more games and other stuff. DVDRW for nostalgia and backup drive, in case mine's fail. No LED lighting necessary.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Wait if he's already got a graphics card why not use the money saved on the motherboard and get him a 2600 instead of a 2200? Also one PCI e in this error isn't a bad thing, the ethernet is onboard, the sound is onboard :).
Modular isn't needed either and any decent 500w would do running that, I've got a coolermaster 500w and the unused cables are cabled tied and under the 3.5" drive bays :).

stefan9

Executive Member
Why not wait a month for the new ryzen mobo's?

If you have to buy now I would go for msi carbon.

pug306

Wait if he's already got a graphics card why not use the money saved on the motherboard and get him a 2600 instead of a 2200? Also one PCI e in this error isn't a bad thing, the ethernet is onboard, the sound is onboard :).
Modular isn't needed either and any decent 500w would do running that, I've got a coolermaster 500w and the unused cables are cabled tied and under the 3.5" drive bays :).
Good point. I just feel more comfortable to have a backup iGPU, in case the discrete GPU fails or i can remove the GPU when I give away the system.

Because the price would probably be quite a bit higher?
Well, my dad's core2duo system is failing. It gives him problems daily. I reinstalled windows quite a few times and it still shoots out random errors and corruption, so it's either a faulty motherboard or ram or CPU. Especially he had a power surge previously that killed his onboard ethernet and router. So my son's old system is semi-urgently needed to be given to my dad.

Is there going to be a new mobo chipset for the new ryzen?

terencej

Expert Member
I have the MSI Bazooka B450M Plus. Really nice board and I believe it might be cheaper than the others.

PhireSide

Executive Member
X570 chipset will be released to coincide with Ryzen 3000 CPUs.

I have a 2200G system that I have up for sale myself, they are fantastic little chips and very good value for money if paired with some fast RAM

Last edited:

stefan9

Executive Member
Because the price would probably be quite a bit higher?
Maybe, maybe not. Till its released we don't know.

Could also push the prices on the prevision gen down.

Generally I am not in favor of waiting but here ryzen 3000 and the new mobo's are so close that it does make sense if you can to wait imho.

netstrider

If you can, try get a 80 rated bronze PSU. They are a little more pricey, but a good PSU is an underrated component in a PC build.

ponder

Honorary Master
New chipsets are coming out but I don't really see a need for one, AM4 platform will last until next year then they'll probably bring out a new socket I suspect.

I would go with a cheapish B450MB and just add BT&WiFi. Ensure you get decent 3000/3200MHz RAM.

If you can't wait look at,
https://www.wootware.co.za/asrock-b450-pro4-amd-promontory-b450-ryzen-socket-am4-atx-desktop-motherboard.html
https://www.wootware.co.za/g-skill-f4-3200c16d-16gvkb-ripjaws-v-series-16gb-2x8gb-ddr4-3200mhz-cl16-1-35v-black-desktop-memory.html
https://www.wootware.co.za/super-flower-sf-500p14ms-silver-eco-500w-80-plus-silver-certified-fully-modular-black-desktop-power-supply.html

If you are going to upgrade the CPU to ryzen 3xxx rather look at saving some money an buying a used 2200G on carbonite IF you can find one and then flog it when going 3xxx.

Whatever you save push that towards a decent GPU.

mr_norris

Expert Member
Ensure you get decent 3000/3200MHz RAM.
A word of warning to OP. If you plan on running 3000 / 3200 RAM, make sure you stick to the motherboards QVL. RAM on Ryzen is temperamental AF, even after all of the bios updates.

The 3200MHz Gskill RAM I got for my parents 2400G PC is stuck at 2666. Anything else makes Windows and the machine go pear.

You could also experiment with things like DRAM Calculator for Ryzen, but I've never had much luck with that either.

PhireSide

Executive Member
The 3200MHz Gskill RAM I got for my parents 2400G PC is stuck at 2666. Anything else makes Windows and the machine go pear.
I have the same issue with my G.Skill RAM, turns out that 3066MHz with tight timings was the highest setting that I could achieve

mr_norris

Expert Member
I spent hours upon hours trying to get better than 2666 :/ Seems like a bit of a gamble.

Lupus

Honorary Master
I spent hours upon hours trying to get better than 2666 :/ Seems like a bit of a gamble.
Took me all of 30 seconds. Though I did go for Wootwares recommendation on the ram and mobo.

ponder

Honorary Master
A word of warning to OP. If you plan on running 3000 / 3200 RAM, make sure you stick to the motherboards QVL. RAM on Ryzen is temperamental AF, even after all of the bios updates.

You could also experiment with things like DRAM Calculator for Ryzen, but I've never had much luck with that either.
What he said, check the ram & mb

pug306

Thank you for all your inputs, guys.

There's quite a lot of things to check out.

Now when I checked my old machine, I don't have any extra adapter card in the PCIe slots anyway.

I think I should get a cheapish micro ATX board with decent fast 3000 ram.

I see some boards have complicated usage with regards to m.2 slots. Some disable PCIe slots, others disable SATA ports. Is it simpler to use 2.5 inch SSD then?