Recommendation for Ryzen motherboard and case please

Lupus

Honorary Master
Thank you for all your inputs, guys.

There's quite a lot of things to check out.

Now when I checked my old machine, I don't have any extra adapter card in the PCIe slots anyway.

I think I should get a cheapish micro ATX board with decent fast 3000 ram.

I see some boards have complicated usage with regards to m.2 slots. Some disable PCIe slots, others disable SATA ports. Is it simpler to use 2.5 inch SSD then?
Well a SATA M2 will be the same as a SATA SSD it's just if you don't have any space I'd assume.

pug306

Hi all,

After a bit of research, I can't find any cheapish compatible 3200MHz ram module. At least none of G.Skill 3200 modules at wootware are on Gigabyte / MSI /Asrock QVLs

So I decide on this final configuration:

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
M/B: Asrock B450 PRO 4
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2 x 8GB 2666 MHz DDR4 CL16
PSU: Super Flower SF-500P14MS 500W 80+ Silver Certified Modular
Case: ?

My son will use the old GTX 1050ti, DVDRW, 500GB HDD, Wifi adpater and bluetooth dongle. I will buy a Western Digital Blue 240GB SSD from takealot.

Any comment and please recommend me a good ATX case

Lupus

Honorary Master
Hi all,

After a bit of research, I can't find any cheapish compatible 3200MHz ram module. At least none of G.Skill 3200 modules at wootware are on Gigabyte / MSI /Asrock QVLs

So I decide on this final configuration:

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
M/B: Asrock B450 PRO 4
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2 x 8GB 2666 MHz DDR4 CL16
PSU: Super Flower SF-500P14MS 500W 80+ Silver Certified Modular
Case: ?

My son will use the old GTX 1050ti, DVDRW, 500GB HDD, Wifi adpater and bluetooth dongle. I will buy a Western Digital Blue 240GB SSD from takealot.

Any comment and please recommend me a good ATX case
The Aegis g skill at Wootware works on that mobo and it's 3000mhz

ponder

Honorary Master

Problem with the qvl is it does not contain all possible ram as testing them all would probably be impossible. Thing is all ddr4 ram will work but at what speed. Another important thing is to have the latest bios for the mb.

pug306

Yes, I guess I can drop the DVDRW. Budget for the case - < R1000

pug306

Problem with the qvl is it does not contain all possible ram as testing them all would probably be impossible. Thing is all ddr4 ram will work but at what speed. Another important thing is to have the latest bios for the mb.

After another night of research, I feel so out of date with the latest hardware stuff. Last time I built a PC was 2010 for a 2nd Gen core i5.

Anyway, I found a post on reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/9qmwz3
So an Australian guy managed to use the G.Skill ripjaws V 3200 kit on his ryzen and ran them at 3200 MHz. So they should be alright for me. I guess I can always underclock them to 2666 Mhz.

Lupus

Honorary Master
I've got the Trident Z RGB and mine is running at 3200mhz with my Ryzen wasn't hard I literally just set the multiplier to 32.

ponder

Honorary Master
After another night of research, I feel so out of date with the latest hardware stuff. Last time I built a PC was 2010 for a 2nd Gen core i5.

Anyway, I found a post on reddit ...

So an Australian guy managed to use the G.Skill ripjaws V 3200 kit on his ryzen and ran them at 3200 MHz. So they should be alright for me. I guess I can always underclock them to 2666 Mhz.

I've got the Trident Z RGB and mine is running at 3200mhz with my Ryzen wasn't hard I literally just set the multiplier to 32.

https://benzhaomin.github.io/bdiefinder/
https://www.hardwareluxx.de/communi...liste-alle-hersteller-07-05-18-a-1161530.html

Last edited:

pug306

Sigh. This new gaming PC for my son seems to be more complicated than I initially thought. I was thinking of throwing an entry level AMD CPU, board and 8GB ram together. Now it has evolved into memory speed / timing etc.

I have to adjust my budget slightly because my son wants the Phanteks Eclipse P350X RGB case. This RGB case needs addressable RGB header but it's not compatible with Asrock's RGB software. So I may have to end up getting the MSI carbon ac after all.

I have also ignored the fact that AMD may announce the new Ryzen 3000 series tomorrow. Some rumor suggest that the new Ryzen will be a vast improvement over the 2000 series. So I am going to get a 2200G as a placeholder in the meantime.

I hope it will be easier to sort out later this year when I have money to do my intel build.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Wait so he's willing to throw away a better CPU for lights???
Also why would you want to do an Intel build with zombie load?

ponder

Honorary Master
I have also ignored the fact that AMD may announce the new Ryzen 3000 series tomorrow. Some rumor suggest that the new Ryzen will be a vast improvement over the 2000 series. So I am going to get a 2200G as a placeholder in the meantime.

Preorders open 1Jul, press performance reviews nda lifts on 7Jul, sales ship same day. Rumoured 15% ipc boost.

Latest leak https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-3000-six-core-processor,39436.html so entry level beats a 2700x, it's a leak though not concrete fact.

pug306

Wait so he's willing to throw away a better CPU for lights???
Also why would you want to do an Intel build with zombie load?

Preorders open 1Jul, press performance reviews nda lifts on 7Jul, sales ship same day. Rumoured 15% ipc boost.

Latest leak https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-3000-six-core-processor,39436.html so entry level beats a 2700x, it's a leak though not concrete fact.

If the leak about the entry level Ryzen 3000 beats 2700x is true, then buying a Ryzen 2600 will not make any sense.

He's a kid. He like lights and buying skins for his virtual characters in games. I definitely doesn't want lights in my PC. I want a silent black non windowed case with 5.25 drive bays for memory card reader and bluray reader.

I wanted an intel build because console emulators (cemu/rpcs3) seems to perform better than Ryzen. Now with the fixes/mitigations for this zombie load exploit, I don't know whether Intel is still better or not.

However, looking at the total cost, my estimate for an intel 9th gen i5 build is double of this AMD build.