Recommendations on international shipping

ryanblumenow

Hi all. Hope everyone is staying safe.

I was hoping to get recommendations for international shipping from the US. I have an ebay item I bid on, and won, but the seller tells me he cannot ship to SA as the SAPO is still closed.

What I am looking for is a freight forwarder who can give me a US address to ship to, and then hold it for a few weeks until (hopefully) the restrictions are lifted a little to allow shipping. I know this is risky but I am willing to take the risk.

However, all the options I've thus far considered (myUS, postbox courier, shipito, etc) are estimating a shipping cost higher than the price of the item. It is one small electronic item, in a box more or less 49x32x30 cm, weighing around 4kg.

Can anyone recommend something for me please?

skillet

ryanblumenow

Thanks so much for the recommendation. That seems to be the cheapest I've come across. Are there any hidden fees I need to be worried about?

ryanblumenow

Haha, thanks :)

I meant more from the freight forwarder's side though - I've read about issues people have had in the past.

ryanblumenow

are our borders open to receive packages or will this get stuck in customs?
I'm trying to work that out. The ebay seller I am dealing with tells me they couldn't print the shipping labels to SA as the system is locked down. But the SAPO has a notice out that they are opening up their services:

1590332955536.png

ricardo12

DHL... I received my parcel from the UK in about 4 days, all 100% no problems, DHL know what they are doing, they phone you and ask for your ID number and email address, then send you the relevant VAT / TAX amount to be paid, once you've paid the parcel is at your house the next day. Oh and my parcel was NOT an essential item.

milomak

Honorary Master
DHL... I received my parcel from the UK in about 4 days, all 100% no problems, DHL know what they are doing, they phone you and ask for your ID number and email address, then send you the relevant VAT / TAX amount to be paid, once you've paid the parcel is at your house the next day. Oh and my parcel was NOT an essential item.
is this during lockdown or your general experience?

ryanblumenow

Ebay seller says he tried DHL the other day and they refused.

So back to having to consider freight forwarding, which adds R1k to the price :(