Record electric car sales for South Africa

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Electric car sales record shattered in South Africa

931 new fully-electric vehicles (EVs) were sold in South Africa during 2023, a new record for the segment.

This number was revealed by Toyota South Africa during its State of the Motoring Industry (SOMI) 2024 address at the Kyalami racing circuit on Thursday, 25 January 2023.

Amazing numbers! Not! Toyota sells approximately 12k vehicles a month in SA. 931 electric cars in a year wooopeeedoda

For South Africa or Africa in general really, they should take a leaf out of Audi's playbook with the RS Q e-tron by popping an ICE in all electric cars to charge the batteries.

Amazing numbers! Not! Toyota sells approximately 12k vehicles a month in SA. 931 electric cars in a year wooopeeedoda

For South Africa or Africa in general really, they should take a leaf out of Audi's playbook with the RS Q e-tron by popping an ICE in all electric cars to charge the batteries.
Yeah some of us want style, comfort and character in our cars so Toyota isn’t on the list ;)

But back to topic, this is not bad. Of course they won’t outsell ICE at the moment the technology is new and unknown. But it’s a step in the right direction.

Yeah some of us want style, comfort and character in our cars so Toyota isn’t on the list ;)

But back to topic, this is not bad. Of course they won’t outsell ICE at the moment the technology is new and unknown. But it’s a step in the right direction.
Well less new and unknown and more overpriced import duties because of government rackets.

Well less new and unknown and more overpriced import duties because of government rackets.
Yeah the last one I’m going government fixes soon. It really is silly.
Yes I know theyll lose on Fuel taxes as it’s not using fuel but still …

The biggest issue is actually the number of units allocated to SA. It is very limited. At the end of the day you cannot sell what you don't have in inventory.

Volvo has only allocated 500 EX30's to SA, so that is all they can sell. Would be interesting to see how quickly they sell out as it appears that 150 have been sold before the first car has even hot our shores.

The biggest issue is actually the number of units allocated to SA. It is very limited. At the end of the day you cannot sell what you don't have in inventory.

Volvo has only allocated 500 EX30's to SA, so that is all they can sell. Would be interesting to see how quickly they sell out as it appears that 150 have been sold before the first car has even hot our shores.
The trouble with those numbers is in-country skills at the dealerships... and not everyone wants to stick to the dealership for service after warranty. Knowledge is already a problem with the slew of new ICE models.

The trouble with those numbers is in-country skills at the dealerships... and not everyone wants to stick to the dealership for service after warranty. Knowledge is already a problem with the slew of new ICE models.

Electric cars require very little new knowledge and much less work overall so this is simply a non-problem.

After warranty you can go anywhere just as normal.

Wow, bad choice... I suppose we need real test subjects to prove how bad the whole EV idea actually is... Once really does not have to do much research to understand how BAD it really is. In 3 years time you won't be able to give those cars away!

Wow, bad choice... I suppose we need real test subjects to prove how bad the whole EV idea actually is... Once really does not have to do much research to understand how BAD it really is. In 3 years time you won't be able to give those cars away!
As an owner for a few months of an EV and owner of ice models for decades with several in my fleet still I'm looking forward to hearing what's so bad about EVs for an owner?

As an owner for a few months of an EV and owner of ice models for decades with several in my fleet still I'm looking forward to hearing what's so bad about EVs for an owner?
Well for the owner right now it might be OK, maybe for the next year or so still... Easy ready will show though:
1. Not enough charging stations
2. Cost of ownership in real terms not cheaper than gas, petrol, diesel
3. Dirty unsustainable process to produce EV's
4. Questionable ethics in the production of batteries
5. Ford billions in the red
6. Toyota not pro EV

Well for the owner right now it might be OK, maybe for the next year or so still... Easy ready will show though:
1. Not enough charging stations
This is a problem for owners indeed
2. Cost of ownership in real terms not cheaper than gas, petrol, diesel
Do you have data showing this?
3. Dirty unsustainable process to produce EV's
How is this a problem for owners?
4. Questionable ethics in the production of batteries
5. Ford billions in the red
6. Toyota not pro EV

2. Many comparisons available online
3. Never said problem for owners unless you are conscienscious about that. Problem when it starts impacting sales and you want to sell your car
4. Never said it was, same as 3
5. Same
6. Same

I have always been an EV advocate.

IMHO, the only serious flaw with the current EV crop is their single biggest weakness.

Eg: You, as a new EV owner is driving down the road, minding their own business, trying to be a good citizen and keep their SOC between 20-80% but unfortunately you hit a rock in the road which damages your battery.

Your dealer tells your insurance company that the battery is "damaged" and needs to be replaced.

The replacement costs more than the car. Your insurance company wakes up and cuts you off and refuses to insure you moving forward due to the high risk profile.

Back