Record signing for Cardiff City, vanishes together with plane

Skynews

Cardiff City have told Sky News they are seeking clarification over reports that footballer Emiliano Sala was on a light aircraft that disappeared from radar in the English Channel last night.

Air Traffic Control have confirmed the aircraft was travelling from Nantes in western France to Cardiff when it went missing

carstensdj

Expert Member
Oh wow, that's hectic! Waaaayyyy too many planes going "missing" in the past few years for my liking!

Oh wow, that's hectic! Waaaayyyy too many planes going "missing" in the past few years for my liking!
That got me thinking, do these clubs have insurance on thee fees they pay players. Like in this case, let's say dude is DOA. Do they get their money back?

carstensdj

Expert Member
That got me thinking, do these clubs have insurance on thee fees they pay players. Like in this case, let's say dude is DOA. Do they get their money back?
I've been sat here wondering the same thing... All emotions aside, what happens in terms of the transfer fee's etc?

thestaggy

Honorary Master
This may very well be the first time this has ever happened, so I doubt that clause would be written in.

Transfer fees themselves are not always a lump sum paid up front. The deal is said to be £15m but that may only be a percentage up front and then various clauses that realise the fill value of the transfer. £10m now, £2m if he scores 'X' amount of goals, another £2m if the club doesn't get relegated, £1m if he plays in 'X' amount of games next season.

That makes sense.

Reason I'm asking is you have situations where a player is "bought" as an example, and then gets injured and sits the rest of his contract at home. Yet they paid for him. So this could be similar, only difference is, they never got what they paid for at all.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
That makes sense.

Reason I'm asking is you have situations where a player is "bought" as an example, and then gets injured and sits the rest of his contract at home. Yet they paid for him. So this could be similar, only difference is, they never got what they paid for at all.
Nowadays you go through a medical exam before any deal is signed.

You agree to sell a player to me. I fly said player in to my medical facility or a medical facility of my choice and have him evaluated by my own doctors and physios or doctors/physios I trust. If there are no flags a deal is made. If stress fractures or strains show up I can then pull out of the deal or renegotiate the fee. You also have the option to pull out if I say I'm not paying what you want for a player that may not be 100%

That's where the performance and appearance clauses come in. If the doctors say he is 100% but then ruptures a ligament in his first match, he likely won't reach the performance/appearance clauses and I end up not paying you the full price. Both clubs are somewhat ''protected''. You get something for the player and I don't pay the full amount because he's crocked.

Nowadays you go through a medical exam before any deal is signed.

You agree to sell a player to me. I fly said player in to my medical facility or a medical facility of my choice and have him evaluated by my own doctors and physios or doctors/physios I trust. If there are no flags a deal is made. If stress fractures or strains show up I can then pull out of the deal or renegotiate the fee. You also have the option to pull out if I say I'm not paying what you want for a player that may not be 100%

That's where the performance and appearance clauses come in. If the doctors say he is 100% but then ruptures a ligament in his first match, he likely won't reach the performance/appearance clauses and I end up not paying you the full price. Both clubs are somewhat ''protected''. You get something for the player and I don't pay the full amount because he's crocked.
Not even the % paid upfront?

I guess that is the gamble part? You pay that % it's gone, player or not.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
This may very well be the first time this has ever happened, so I doubt that clause would be written in.

Transfer fees themselves are not always a lump sum paid up front. The deal is said to be £15m but that may only be a percentage up front and then various clauses that realise the fill value of the transfer. £10m now, £2m if he scores 'X' amount of goals, another £2m if the club doesn't get relegated, £1m if he plays in 'X' amount of games next season.
FM player^^^
:giggle::p

thestaggy

Honorary Master
'Dad, I'm so scared' Cardiff striker Sala's final audio message

Nantes - Cardiff City's record new signing Emiliano Sala expressed concern about his plane shortly before the light aircraft disappeared over the Channel, according to an audio message sent to friends and relatives.

The Argentine striker, signed on Saturday from French club Nantes for a reported fee of €17 million, was flying to Cardiff aboard the plane that disappeared from radar around 20 kilometres (12 miles) north of the island of Guernsey on Monday night.

"I'm on a plane that looks like it's going to fall apart, and I'm leaving for Cardiff," Sala said in a WhatsApp audio message carried by Argentine media.

"If in an hour and a half you have no news from me, I don't know if they will send people to look for me, because they will not find me, you know. Dad, I'm so scared," he added
RIP.

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master
"I'm on a plane that looks like it's going to fall apart, and I'm leaving for Cardiff,"
Why would one get on that? Especially if you have options.

EDIT: I assume it didn't look like that beforehand.