Reddit, Acting Against Hate Speech, Bans ‘The_Donald’ Subreddit

Grant

Honorary Master
The Late Show with Stephen Colbert
Last week tonight

Quite a few others...
Stephen Colbert - that started like a group therapy session that evolved to a circle jerk ultimately ending as a reach-around festival

Gnome

Executive Member
That's pretty stupid and shortsighted, to be honest.
The EU's protection literally is the US.
The EU and US complement each other's economies.
With the advent of nuclear weapons, wars don't happen between nuclear armed countries. And if any country is stupid enough to invade a country armed with nuclear weapons, they must realize that even if it is going well for them, at some point the very real possibility exists that a nuclear warhead will be used against them (increasing in probably as the war continues).

If it reaches that point, I don't want to be in the US, China nor the EU or anywhere near any country that has any kind of serious nuclear arsenal. Everyone becomes a target.

So not worried at all.

Modern warfare is economic and political.

vigras rojara

Expert Member
Reddit is one the most visited sites on the internet - hence a slogan used by internet users that it is 'the frontpage of the time internet'. They've been outsmarted because Reddit admins think by shutting down the page that they are somehow preventing Trump fans from congregating online. But in reality that's not what has happened.
True, they have Stormfront too.

Lucas Buck

Expert Member
I'm not sure how you think that move has "outsmarted the lefties" - plenty of people have been suggesting the obnoxious create their own online communities rather than pollute existing ones. Moving to TheDullard.win is simply following that suggestion - and retreating from a large mixed community into a tiny toxic bubble of like mindless idiots.

Quite frankly, it is a win for the rest of the internet.
Some of the Trump supporters are idiots but not mindless idiots, while some are trolls and some are simply contrarians. It doesn't do anyone good if they retreat into their own bubble, that will only lead to a more entrenched, "us against the world" religious like behaviour.

Reddit is one the most visited sites on the internet - hence a slogan used by internet users that it is 'the frontpage of the time internet'. They've been outsmarted because Reddit admins think by shutting down the page that they are somehow preventing Trump fans from congregating online. But in reality that's not what has happened.
I've never been a fan of the reddit layout and design, so mostly avoided that platform.
Reddit is not the whole of the internet so I'm not sure where you got the idea that Reddit thought Trump supporters couldn't gather elsewhere online. Good for his supporters if think that they've "outsmarted" anyone, it helps them feel(feelings seem to matter) like they're winning and gives them a sense of accomplishment.

Last edited:

Gnome

Executive Member
Stephen Colbert - that started like a group therapy session that evolved to a circle jerk ultimately ending as a reach-around festival
I don't really watch it but now and then I see some people watching it. Regardless, his audience is huge.

Trump supporters always need to be the underdog. (Just like Malema for example, always some conspiracy theory going against them)
The problem with the underdog is, they are made up of a smaller portion of the population.
And when it comes to Trump, an especially small part in the rest of the world and shrinking weekly in the US.

Most of us don't care what the US does, but when they involve themselves in other countries that is when it becomes a problem.
And Trump is good at that. China trade war, EU trade war, South America trade war, he just like pissing everyone off.
Continuing to earn annoyance from people around the planet and more and more in his own country.

The ultimate point is, you don't have to look far to find people that think he is an idiot.
Plenty of that online.

So I just took some YouTube channels that are especially popular, but there are plenty of others that are similarly popular that most normal people on this planet have heard of that are either anti-Trump or have at some point mentioned he is an idiot.

Grant

Honorary Master
With the advent of nuclear weapons, wars don't happen between nuclear armed countries. And if any country is stupid enough to invade a country armed with nuclear weapons, they must realize that even if it is going well for them, at some point the very real possibility exists that a nuclear warhead will be used against them (increasing in probably as the war continues).

If it reaches that point, I don't want to be in the US, China nor the EU or anywhere near any country that has any kind of serious nuclear arsenal. Everyone becomes a target.

So not worried at all.

Nothing quite beats getting caught in the crosss-fire.

Grant

Honorary Master
I don't really watch it but now and then I see some people watching it. Regardless, his audience is huge.

Trump supporters always need to be the underdog. (Just like Malema for example, always some conspiracy theory going against them)
The problem with the underdog is, they are made up of a smaller portion of the population.
And when it comes to Trump, an especially small part in the rest of the world and shrinking weekly in the US.

Most of us don't care what the US does, but when they involve themselves in other countries that is when it becomes a problem.
And Trump is good at that. China trade war, EU trade war, South America trade war, he just like pissing everyone off.
Continuing to earn annoyance from people around the planet and more and more in his own country.

The ultimate point is, you don't have to look far to find people that think he is an idiot.
Plenty of that online.

So I just took some YouTube channels that are especially popular, but there are plenty of others that are similarly popular that most normal people on this planet have heard of that are either anti-Trump or have at some point mentioned he is an idiot.
Anyway, back to Colbert.
Not too funny, infantile - almost slapstick.
Oliver at least has a bit more nuance in his approach

Vorastra

Expert Member

So not worried at all.

You know what's the issue with 2 countries having ICBMs? They cancel each other out and become a non-factor. You'd take your chances with a ground war instead of MAD.

Gnome

Executive Member
You know what's the issue with 2 countries having ICBMs? They cancel each other out and become a non-factor. You'd take your chances with a ground war instead of MAD.
No I like MAD, just don't like it when they actually go to war with each other. Then I choose a country without nukes until those other guys sort their sh#t out.

Ninja'd

A Djinn
I actually liked him back when he did the Colbert Report.

wbot

Expert Member
Yesterday, Stefan Molyneux was kicked off YouTube.

Today he joined Twitch.

A little later today, Stefan Molyneux was kicked off Twitch.
Isn't twitch mainly for gamers? Why would he join that?