Registering Pastel Partner as a workstation over a VPN?

GipsyD

Recently, I've been asked to create a VPN server using Windows Server 2016. The VPN is created, and all users can log in using their allocated usernames and passwords. Now, I've been told that I need to register our workstations onto Pastel via the VPN.

I can see the shared drives via the VPN by typing in the servers address in File Explorer, like the following :-

\\111.222.3.444

I can also map said drives to the terminals just fine, like how you would on a local network, but I can't register Pastel Partner on these mapped drives. I am registering each terminal as a workstation that is dependent on the Pastel server to operate. Whenever I try and register, it throws a run-time error, specifically an error 6, amongst other errors. Though these other errors aren't as common as the error 6 error.

For some reason, Pastel gets the server name as the IP address of the server on the VPN, and not the server name. I can't tell if this is the error or not.

Each of the mapped drives are mapped as the following :-

\\111.222.3.444\MyMappedDrive

The VPN is set up using MS Routing and Remote Access, in conjunction with Active Directories.

Is there anyway of registering Pastel on a VPN like this? Any help would be great here.

AlphaJohn

Honorary Master
Pastel is a Pain via VPN trust me, been down this road before. Esp the bloody Database.

Best solution I found was to Install a local Virtual PC on the server and then use remote desktop or Anydesk to access that virtual PC.

swakop_toe

Pastel is a Pain via VPN trust me, been down this road before. Esp the bloody Database.

Best solution I found was to Install a local Virtual PC on the server and then use remote desktop or Anydesk to access that virtual PC.
Can concur.
The Pervasive database engine is very sensitive to poor connectivity.
It is barely acceptable over a LAN.
How it survived this long is a miracle.

Conack

Expert Member
Yeah VPN + Pastel is indeed recipe for disaster. Just tell them it's not happening and avoid spending a minute longer on that clusterf****.

Remote to their desktop PCs on the LAN, or VM.

waynehooper

You cannot connect Pastel to the server using the IP address - you have to use the server name (\\server\MyMappedDrive)

However the way the database works is that every workstation opens a full set of files over the network (50-60+) and reads and writes these files over the network. That's why I always replace old 10/100 switches with Gigabit ones for more reliable connections and make sure workstations and switches are powered by UPS's .

For a WAN connection you are wasting your time unless you have a seriously fast connection (up and down) to each workstation.

As other have mentioned above, rather use remote desktop or Anydesk/Teamviewer to connect remotely.

ubercal

Expert Member
Recently, I've been asked to create a VPN server using Windows Server 2016. The VPN is created, and all users can log in using their allocated usernames and passwords. Now, I've been told that I need to register our workstations onto Pastel via the VPN.

I can see the shared drives via the VPN by typing in the servers address in File Explorer, like the following :-

\\111.222.3.444

I can also map said drives to the terminals just fine, like how you would on a local network, but I can't register Pastel Partner on these mapped drives. I am registering each terminal as a workstation that is dependent on the Pastel server to operate. Whenever I try and register, it throws a run-time error, specifically an error 6, amongst other errors. Though these other errors aren't as common as the error 6 error.

For some reason, Pastel gets the server name as the IP address of the server on the VPN, and not the server name. I can't tell if this is the error or not.

Each of the mapped drives are mapped as the following :-

\\111.222.3.444\MyMappedDrive

The VPN is set up using MS Routing and Remote Access, in conjunction with Active Directories.

Is there anyway of registering Pastel on a VPN like this? Any help would be great here.

dont.Best is for the user to RDP into there work desktop pc and then connect to the local server over the LAN.