Regulations for adjusted level 4 lockdown published

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
New Level 4 lockdown rules — what you can and can't do

Minister of Cooperative Governance and Corporate Affairs Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma has published the updated alert level 4 lockdown regulations for South Africa.

This follows an address by President Cyril Ramapahosa last night where he announced that much stricter restrictions are needed due to a surge in Covid-19 cases in South Africa.

One of the major reasons for the surge, experts have said, is that the Delta variant of the coronavirus is spreading in South Africa.

The Delta variant, which was first discovered in India, is more transmissible than the Beta variant that has been the dominant mutation in South Africa since the second wave at the end of last year.

markings

Expert Member
This should have come into force at least 2 weeks ago. The Delta variant is considerably nastier than others.

Australia reported the first transmission of the virus just by 2 people passing in a corridor with 30cm distance. No stopping, no talking, just passing each other. Verified by CCTV, contact and genome tracing.
Note that this was an indoors encounter.

Lupus

Honorary Master
This should have come into force at least 2 weeks ago. The Delta variant is considerably nastier than others.

Australia reported the first transmission of the virus just by 2 people passing in a corridor with 30cm distance. No stopping, no talking, just passing each other. Verified by CCTV, contact and genome tracing.
Note that this was an indoors encounter.
It maybe more transmittable but so far doesn't seem as deadly

1624861858602.png
1624861880512.png

Roughly the same amount of cases in December was producing 3 times the deaths we're seeing now. So a virus might be transmittable but it may not be as deadly.

Louis72

Expert Member

View attachment 1096717
View attachment 1096719

Roughly the same amount of cases in December was producing 3 times the deaths we're seeing now. So a virus might be transmittable but it may not be as deadly.
That’s possible or more people are using ivermectin and that could bring fatalities down?

Or the higher amount of 60+ being vaccinated so they not getting as sick?
This time for myself it seems like the 3rd wave is rampant among friends my age group under 30.

B-1

Expert Member

View attachment 1096717
View attachment 1096719

Hopefully this is true but I think your a bit early to make that conclusion. There will be a lag between infection and death of at least a few weeks and we also got better at treatment which slows down the time it takes to die.

Lupus

Honorary Master
That’s possible or more people are using ivermectin and that could bring fatalities down?

Or the higher amount of 60+ being vaccinated so they not getting as sick?
This time for myself it seems like the 3rd wave is rampant among friends my age group under 30.
Nope according to the stats 84% of infected people are over 50

1624862447916.png

Lupus

Honorary Master
Hopefully this is true but I think your a bit early to make that conclusion. There will be a lag between infection and death of at least a few weeks and we also got better at treatment which slows down the time it takes to die.
If that was the case why were we hitting 300 deaths a day with the same positive numbers we're hitting now?

markings

Expert Member

View attachment 1096717
View attachment 1096719

Not as deadly is IMO a silly argument. Is it sensible to argue that hospital beds are occupied unnecessarily as long as the patients don't die?

Lupus

Honorary Master
Not as deadly is IMO a silly argument. Is it sensible to argue that hospital beds are occupied unnecessarily as long as the patients don't die?
The hospitals run at 90 to 95% capacity normally, you just need a few extra people to throw those over the edge sadly. But yes it is possible the beds are occupied with people who could possibly get better at home. Though perhaps not the government hospitals where most of the people it would be having a bed and a semi warm room to recuperate in.

Sapphiron

Expert Member

View attachment 1096717
View attachment 1096719

Have a look at the time offset between the cases and deaths in the first and second waves.

The deaths in the 3rd wave is still to come. The virus takes a week or so to kill.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Have a look at the time offset between the cases and deaths in the first and second waves.

The deaths in the 3rd wave is still to come. The virus takes a week or so to kill.
Nope there is no offset, at the point where there were this many cases the deaths were sitting at 300+, if the 3rd wave started as early as they said it would, we should be hitting 300+ deaths already. Not that I'm advocating for the deaths, as I'm not apart of the death cult.

Drifter

Honorary Master
Delta only hit us a two weeks ago, and the way majority of public is flaunting Covid rules is of a concern. I reckon after this 2 week lockdown, it will be extended again ad deaths will start multiplying.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Delta only hit us a two weeks ago, and the way majority of public is flaunting Covid rules is of a concern. I reckon after this 2 week lockdown, it will be extended again ad deaths will start multiplying.
People have been flaunting the covid rules since the start if I look at posters on MyBB. Since March 2020 there have been posters moaning about the majority flaunting the rules, so basically what you're saying, the rules have never been followed by the majority.