Releasing DHCP/IP lease from Huawei E5186

Nigelm

I have been trying to connect a new router to the fiber ONT. I currently have the Huawei E5186 connected to the ONT.

After some Google time, it appears that the DHCP/IP should be released before the new router can be connected.

For the life of me, I can't find that option in the Huawei E5186 settings?

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

NorthPole

Has another "modem" been connected to the ONT previously? If so you may have to call the Provider or ISP to release the MAC address on the account

Nigelm

Has another "modem" been connected to the ONT previously? If so you may have to call the Provider or ISP to release the MAC address on the account
No, I have only used the E5186 modem to the ONT. I tried to clone the MAC address on the new router but still no progress.

After more research - it appears the the DHCP/IP indeed needs to be released.

fragtion

Expert Member
Surely the MAC clone, if done properly, should do the job ? Then you can release the lease from the cloned device. The ISP should theoretically have no way of knowing that you're using a cloned MAC so it should just work AFAIK

Nigelm

Surely the MAC clone, if done properly, should do the job ? Then you can release the lease from the cloned device. The ISP should theoretically have no way of knowing that you're using a cloned MAC so it should just work AFAIK
I tried to clone the new device and even checked the new router for the cloned address. No luck. PBCool says it must be done from the ISP side.

Nigelm

Reboot the ONT to expire the lease?
I tried rebooting the ONT and old router. I tried different sequences and nothing worked.
PBCool reckons that the DHCP/IP address must be released from the ISP support side.