Religious Beliefs Killed Boy, Kept Parents From Seeking Care

Geriatrix

Executive Member
http://www.atheistunderworld.com/2012/05/03/religious-beliefs-killed-boy-kept-parents-from-seeking-care/
On Thursday April 26, 2012, the Lincoln County, Oklahoma 911 dispatch received a phone call to report the death of a 4-year-old boy named Troy Damelio. Troy’s parents, Joe and Melinda Damelio, told the police their son had a fever for about a week, but they never took the boy to the doctor because of their religious beliefs.

Investigators are awaiting autopsy results to determine the cause of death, but I have a strong suspicion it’s related to religion. Whatever the actual physical illness the boy suffered from will be determined, but the likelihood it could have been treated successfully by doctors is nearly one-hundred percent. The irrational beliefs, the mindless faith, it causes people to do things a normal, sane person would not . . . like watching your child die in your arms without even calling for an ambulance. Many children have died needlessly because their parents had an unbending belief in god’s healing powers. Troy is the most recent child in this depressing list, and every one of their parents believed prayers would be more effective than the ER.

The death is under investigation by Lincoln County Sheriff Charlie Dougherty. In his comments to the media, Dougherty said they were informed the family attends a church called “Church of the Firstborn.” Its members are known to avoid seeking medical attention. Instead they follow the teaching of James 5:14 exclusively in medical matters, “Is anyone among you sick? Then he must call for the elders of the church and they are to pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord.”

The denomination’s website deals with the legalities of not getting medical care for children by stating this: “If you choose not to take your child to a doctor, then, we urge you, to immediately notify the county health department and the state department of human services.” The church provides forms for parents to submit to these agencies stating they are welcome to examine the child any time. This is much better than most faith healing churches, but obviously it didn’t translate to practical action on the part of Troy Damelio’s parents. It gets the church off the hook though, and my guess is that’s why they put it in their by-laws. While they instruct followers to “call for elders to pray and anoint with oil,” I’m guessing the “make sure you notify the authorities you are neglecting your child” aspect gets glossed over as an easily omitted asterisk.

Troy’s parents had the sincere faith God was going to heal him of his illness, but regardless of their beliefs, they could be charged with manslaughter if the district attorney believes Joe and Melinda acted negligent. The worst thing about this type of situation is the children do not have a voice; they are helpless. Troy Damelio had no consent to being treated solely by faith healing, but it is all he got because he had neglectful parents, parents who put their faith in Jesus’ magic healing wounds over modern medical treatment. I really hope the district attorney charges them to the full extent of the law. The Damelios also have another son, a 1-year-old child named Luke. Let’s hope Child Protective Services doesn’t allow Luke to be exposed to the same disregard.
I simply do not get this kind of reasoning.
I have family members who are doctors and you wouldn't believe how often this happens. :wtf:
I mean really.

copacetic

King of the Hippies
Definitely not True Christians™.

****ing ****tards, poor kid. :(

SoulTax

Executive Member
This is the sick part. That the kid was too young to have a say. To have decided whether they felt faith healing was what they wanted. I hope these people realise that they basically murdered their own child. I would gladly be one of the picketers outside the courts that shouts that at them when they come and go.
Then on the other hand I think.... That poor kid would have been conditioned into the same lifestyle, perhaps perpetuating the stupidity of mankind. Objectively speaking, I think letting these nuts kill themselves and their offspring off is for the greater good.
Subjectively, those people are stupid morons and that child didn't deserve to have his trust in his parents abused with such a terrible outcome.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Sad, sad, sad. And the parents were probably abused similarly as children, hence the ridiculous beliefs and the strength of conviction in their child being saved by their merciful and loving god.

What a sick joke this religion nonsense is.

daveza

Honorary Master
Hopefully the state will remove their other child from their 'care' and have both of them sterilised permanently.

Then lock them up.

SaiyanZ

Executive Member
The child is now with god in a better place. So why is everyone upset? The parents are ok with it.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
So if you believe God will cure your sick kid, can't you also argue that God put medical professionals on the earth for this reason. And yes, this is from a Family Guy episode, but a valid point.

daveza

Honorary Master
The child is now with god in a better place. So why is everyone upset? The parents are ok with it.
Perhaps the child would have liked to actually live his life.

copacetic

King of the Hippies
A logical extension to that argument, is that we should be killing kids, so they can get to god quicker, which is obviously completely retarded. Denying an innocent child the chance of life because of your moronic beliefs is murder, the way I see it.

SoulTax

Executive Member
So when I hatch a cunning plan to kill my rich grandparents through slow poison, I can tell the Police to chill out and stop being so upset. Because they are in a better place and I am a family member and I am okay with it.
The 2 crimes are equal in my view. One is because of greed, the other stupidity.

SaiyanZ

Executive Member
I am an atheist by the way. My comment was purely to show how ridiculous religious people's reasoning can be.

If you are religious then you should also be ok with the child's death since the parents were just following their own beliefs, in the same way that you follow your own religion's beliefs.

copacetic

King of the Hippies
I am an atheist by the way. My comment was purely to show how ridiculous religious people's reasoning can be.

If you are religious then you should also be ok with the child's death since the parents were just following their own beliefs, in the same way that you follow your own religion's beliefs.
What's that saying about it being hard to tell a parody of fundamentalism from the real thing...

Kornhole

Blackburn Fan
Very sad :( I might be christian but seriously,take the kid to the doc man.