Religious discussions

What do you think is the best solution regarding the increase in religious discussion

• Ban religious discussions

Votes: 12 14.0%
  • Create a sub-forum for religious and other philosophical discussions

Votes: 71 82.6%
  • Stay 'as is' but with heavy moderation

Votes: 3 3.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xarog

Honorary Master
I think it means keeping the discussions vaguely on-topic and watching for insult -fests and the like.

Datura

Captain Faptastic
Staff member
I voted for them(Religious Threads) having their own topic but I realised that I check "New Posts" and will still have them in my face all the time and they really annoy me. Is there perhaps a way to ignore threads that I do not wish to see?

Xarog

Honorary Master
i second this... let rip, man!
No.

What will happen when the feuds spill over into the rest of the forum? Do you really want to have to sit with two posters b!tching at each other because they got into a tiff over at the religious section and it was allowed to go on ad-infinitum?

There's already more than enough of it it, as is. I see no benefit in giving such nonsense an even more fertile breeding ground.

Xarog

Honorary Master
Yup that would be good - but heavy moderation sounds to be more than that ;)
I don't think it will be there to censure potentially offensive views. Or at least I hope it won't be. Or actually, I hope it won't have to be. But I guess the last one is just wishful thinking.

No.

What will happen when the feuds spill over into the rest of the forum? Do you really want to have to sit with two posters b!tching at each other because they got into a tiff over at the religious section and it was allowed to go on ad-infinitum?

There's already more than enough of it it, as is. I see no benefit in giving such nonsense an even more fertile breeding ground.
some of the most pioneering thoughts and concepts have happened where there are no boundaries or boxes or guidance.

of course there is the off chance of a forum implosion of grandeur proportion that could possibly lead to the end of the world.

maybe some moderation is not a bad idea.

AntiThesis

Executive Member
Boundaries also help to form thoughts and restrict things that would make a discussion deteriorate unnecessarily.

A sub-forum would be ideal. With moderation but of a very small sort I would think if in keeping with a social experiment idea. Moderator to only moderate in extreme cases.

Xarog

Honorary Master
some of the most pioneering thoughts and concepts have happened where there are no boundaries or boxes or guidance.

of course there is the off chance of a forum implosion of grandeur proportion that could possibly lead to the end of the world.

maybe some moderation is not a bad idea.
I'm talking about cutting down the insults and also having 5 threads discussing the same damn thing because one or two posters can't leave a topic alone. Niether of these are likely to spark new ideas, infact they're far more likely to hinder the formation of new ideas.

I'm talking about cutting down the insults and also having 5 threads discussing the same damn thing because one or two posters can't leave a topic alone. Niether of these are likely to spark new ideas, infact they're far more likely to hinder the formation of new ideas.
i was being sarcastic Xarog and if you read my entire post i said maybe moderation is not a bad idea.

so in short i agree with you.

Xarog

Honorary Master
i was being sarcastic Xarog and if you read my entire post i said maybe moderation is not a bad idea.

so in short i agree with you.
I thought your point about promoting new ideas was serious. I know from personal experience that freeform discussion can lead to new ideas.

Leitmotif

Expert Member
Datura: there's a way to ignore threads from specific sections in New Posts... ic knows how, ask him. So if we get a new section for religion, you'll be able to ignore it :)

LoneGunman

Expert Member
normal sense seems to be winning, as far as the poll goes.

It'll be interesting, once a subforum is created, to let the 'religious'
go play there, and agree/fight with each other for all eternity - I doubt
that many folks will bother to go troll them, (as most of the argument
has emerged from so many threads being created by folks, weirdly willing to threaten, or behave in a 'superior' way - much to the irritation of myself
and others.
I'm getting my hankie ready to wave goodbye to the religious folks as they
enjoy their subforum :p
Naturally, because many are simply in essence 'spamming' their beliefs, they'd love to stick around and will argue for integration in the main forum, but they are just spamming - much the same as if people were spamming for any other product, and were creating repeated threads to advertise its existence.

normal sense seems to be winning, as far as the poll goes. much the same as if people were spamming for any other product, and were creating repeated threads to advertise its existence.
So why do you not spam for a "Conspiracy" forum or a "cut and paste" section
You were the one spamming and trolling those religious threads. :) GP_Flyer already admitted complicity :D

LoneGunman

Expert Member
NewsFlash - I wouldn't argue for a subforum on 'conspiracy' topics, because I'm not on my knees weeping and worshipping the concept - and I'm certainly not threatening everyone else on forum with my mysterious 'holier than thou' certainty that everyone else will burn for all eternity if they dont accept my 'war for oil' theories :p Furthermore, when people argue re 911 science with me, I'll argue science back at them, I wont point to any imaginary Big Ghosts and ask them to take my argument on 'faith'.
:)

Sub forum.

I'm not one for these threads and I steer well clear of them. So Wheter this happens or not doesn't make no difference to me. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.