Remote takeover flaw found in 200 million devices

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
Remote takeover flaw found in 200 million devices

Armis researchers found that around 200 million devices - some of which could be controlling important equipment such as elevators and medical equipment - are vulnerable to a remote takeover attack which gives the malicious party complete control over the device.

The researchers outlined 11 different vulnerabilities in various iterations of VxWorks, which is a lightweight operating system used in over two billion devices worldwide.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
All this highlights why it is total stupidity to connect so many of the devices in your home to the Internet.
Logic says the less connected devices there are in your home the better.

And that is great. The newer version is always "safe". The older versions are not. - scare tactics to frighten the H out of people to get them to upgrade. next week it is the older versions again that are vulnerable to get you to upgrade again.
Solution: Avoid the entire mess!

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
All this highlights why it is total stupidity to connect so many of the devices in your home to the Internet.
Logic says the less connected devices there are in your home the better.

And that is great. The newer version is always "safe". The older versions are not. - scare tactics to frighten the H out of people to get them to upgrade. next week it is the older versions again that are vulnerable to get you to upgrade again.
Solution: Avoid the entire mess!
This is why it's highly recommended to isolate IoT devices on a separate vlan to your main network, they can still get compromised but at least they cannot get over to your main network.

Swa

Honorary Master
The big issue is that these are devices that should never be connected to a network. It's simply not necessary and people should stop going after this hype that everything must be connected.

Daruk

Honorary Master
This is why it's highly recommended to isolate IoT devices on a separate vlan to your main network, they can still get compromised but at least they cannot get over to your main network.
Agree, if you're going iOT then get switches that support VLAN. On that subject, what's out there that's affordable, Mikrotik?

3WA

Executive Member
This is no joke. Last night my washing machine and clock radio both attacked me.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
On that subject, what's out there that's affordable, Mikrotik?
Ubiquiti EdgeRouters are pretty good value, the Unifi range is nice and easy to use but is pricier. I haven't really worked with Mikrotik stuff. I'm personally moving everything over to Unifi as it's just stupid easy to administer everything.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Ubiquiti EdgeRouters are pretty good value, the Unifi range is nice and easy to use but is pricier. I haven't really worked with Mikrotik stuff. I'm personally moving everything over to Unifi as it's just stupid easy to administer everything.
Actually, Mikrotik seem considerably cheaper than ubiquiti - both look pretty decent but yeah, I imagine anything is easier to configure than Mikrotik lol.

Thor

Honorary Master
Actually, Mikrotik seem considerably cheaper than ubiquiti - both look pretty decent but yeah, I imagine anything is easier to configure than Mikrotik lol.
MikroTik is second to none. However you need a asteo physics degree and experience with Unix since before Linus if you want to have any success in using it.

I love and hate MikroTik, hate it because I'm not always worthy.

Daruk

Honorary Master
MikroTik is second to none. However you need a asteo physics degree and experience with Unix since before Linus if you want to have any success in using it.

I love and hate MikroTik, hate it because I'm not always worthy.
I've had my fair share of hair pulling with Mikrotik. Some of it bug related. Stuff that should work but just breaks.