Remotely turn the Geyser on and off

Sparkz0629

Expert Member
Thats not a Sonoff device?
Did see them over at Ali Express with similar devices...

Works on same app so might have same Wifi board.

Dont think it has SA certification?
Apologies, you are right. I saw "ewelink" and immediately jumped to Sonoff.

Edited :)

Tinuva

The Magician
But most in this thread might not follow it. I mostly read only threads I'm subscribed to.

So not sure of your point.
Interesting, that is the most active and interesting thread to follow in fact. So the point was a hint that you if not following it there is a chance you miss out on something. To each their own not going to argue about it.

That said. My switches arrived just now.

Thor

Honorary Master
Bought this at cash crusaders now, it looks like it might carry me for the interim until I can exchange the 3kW element with a 2kW one, a normal timer circuit breaker, at least that is what it looks like?

(20A, My Geyser is 3kW) 20201019_125914.jpg

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Bought this at cash crusaders now, it looks like it might carry me for the interim until I can exchange the 3kW element with a 2kW one, a normal timer circuit breaker, at least that is what it looks like?

(20A, My Geyser is 3kW) View attachment 935680
Those things will work for about 2 years before they pack up. If new. The stby battery goes shortly after the contacts stop making proper contact.

Thor

Honorary Master
Those things will work for about 2 years before they pack up. If new. The stby battery goes shortly after the contacts stop making proper contact.

I just need a solution until I get the courage to take out the element. I have no clue how to do that without creating a mess.

2020-10-20 09.26.16.jpg 2020-10-20 09.26.28.jpg

Tinuva

The Magician
Turn off geyser.
Cut the water to the property.
Open a hot water tap to let the geyser run out empty.
If you can, save the water and use on plants.

Then after it is empty, is when you want to take out the elementer. Probably with another big container below it, so that the last bit of water left ends up in that. Or just let it run into that pan at the bottom, which has an exit pipe.

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
Turn off geyser.
Cut the water to the property.
Open a hot water tap to let the geyser run out empty.
If you can, save the water and use on plants.

Then after it is empty, is when you want to take out the elementer. Probably with another big container below it, so that the last bit of water left ends up in that. Or just let it run into that pan at the bottom, which has an exit pipe.

firstly, if your geyser empties when the incoming water is off your plumbing is wrong. Second there is a drainage point on the geyser to drain it to change the element.

Tinuva

The Magician
firstly, if your geyser empties when the incoming water is off your plumbing is wrong. Second there is a drainage point on the geyser to drain it to change the element.
Thank you!
The good news is, I sold the house where that was possible and somehow the plumber signed off on it.

Mista_Mobsta

Expert Member
I can already imagine the amount of users that will go home later, switch of the water mains and open the hot water taps...
@Steamy Tom, I will report back tomorrow morning regarding my plumbing haha

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
I can already imagine the amount of users that will go home later, switch of the water mains and open the hot water taps...
@Steamy Tom, I will report back tomorrow morning regarding my plumbing haha

haha nice, remember whatever is in the pipe will obviously come out, but the water should stop once the pipes are drained and the initial high pressure is gone, it shouldnt take very long

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
haha nice, remember whatever is in the pipe will obviously come out, but the water should stop once the pipes are drained and the initial high pressure is gone, it shouldnt take very long
Sometimes. If the vacuum breakers are not correctly installed, the entire geyser will siphon empty.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
I just need a solution until I get the courage to take out the element. I have no clue how to do that without creating a mess.

View attachment 935896 View attachment 935898
The sequence should be:
1. Switch off power at the isolator in the back wall. Better still, also throw the CB for geyser in the DB. Wait for the water to cool off, say overnight.
2. Disconnect the cables from the thermostat and remove the earth wire as well. Remove the thermostat.
3. The copper pipe entering the geyser at the bottom is the cold water line. Follow it back to the top and see if there is a stop cock installed which will allow you to cut off the cold water supply. If there is, then close it. Otherwise, you will have to cut the water supply to your unit.
4. Open hot water tap somewhere in the bath preferably and let the water drain until the water stops running.
5. The cold water line has a drain cock installed just before it enters the geyser at the bottom. attach a hosepipe to the outlet on that drain cock and lead the water into a bath or outside -- DON'T rely on the miserable of an excuse of a tray installed in the bottom of that cupboard! then open the drain cock and drain the geyser. You will have to drain it completely as it is mounted vertically.
6. Remove the ring of bolts holding the element in place.

But why? If you install a geyserwise control unit or similar, then you control the amount of energy drawn by the element anyway.

whipper

Had a Pow2 connected to my kwikkot 150L geyser. Used to to draw about 2.7kw at about 12.5A or so. Had a scene setup to switch off on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 5:30am and switch back on at 2:30pm..well it worked well for a month and finally burnt out.. I think when the geysers starts heating from cold it takes a while before the water reaches it set temp. It doesn't seem like it can handle that kind of loads for long periods..

Attachments

• IMG_20201026_174729.jpg
    IMG_20201026_174729.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 30

petum

Has anyone used a sonoff switch and the geyserwise control? Or knows if it's possible?

I've got geyserwise Tse.

gbyleveldt

Had a Pow2 connected to my kwikkot 150L geyser. Used to to draw about 2.7kw at about 12.5A or so. Had a scene setup to switch off on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 5:30am and switch back on at 2:30pm..well it worked well for a month and finally burnt out.. I think when the geysers starts heating from cold it takes a while before the water reaches it set temp. It doesn't seem like it can handle that kind of loads for long periods..

‘And yet many have claimed to use the POWs without issue and even recommended their use. It just shows, just because it borderline works, doesn’t mean it’s a good idea. Thanks for your post; it brings reality to the arguments of the past.

Has anyone used a sonoff switch and the geyserwise control? Or knows if it's possible?

I've got geyserwise Tse.

I sort of got it to work. In my case, I have a EV solar setup but with a 220v pump. All fine and well till the power is off the whole day - no hot water from renewable energy. There is no way to split the geaser load from the Geaserwise so that I could run the 220v pump off my inverter.

What I ended up doing was to install a contactor that powers the geaser element. Now the Geaserwise is running off my inverter and will happily drive the small 220v pump when the grid is down. It’ll also switch the contactor to supply grid to the geaser when required, while being isolated from the grid. While I was up in the roof, I decided to add a Tasmotized CBI Astute into the mix. I’ve removed all schedules from the Geaserwise and have those schedules now as automations in Home Assistant. The Geaserwise is still my safety net as far as temperature control of the EV tubes and geaser is concerned (by means of the contactor), but I can decide if the geaser needs a boost in the mornings or not, based on whatever metrics I have available.

Edit: I did consider not using a contactor and have the Geaserwise control the CBI Astute directly. It would be more elegant. But I’d rather not risk a blown geaser because of a DIY modded WiFi device that runs uncertified software which may have bugs in it. So I have the contactor and CBI Astute in series, with the Geaserwise cutting power to the contactor if temps hit 65C. A kind of a belts and braces approach.

Last edited: