Removal of Afrikaans at Unisa unlawful and unconstitutional - SCA

Chris_the_Brit

High Tory
The Supreme Court of Appeal (SCA) has ruled that the removal of Afrikaans as a medium of instruction at the University of South Africa (Unisa) was unlawful and unconstitutional.

The appeal was brought by lobby group AfriForum following a ruling by the Gauteng High Court in Pretoria on 26 April 2018, in favour of a language policy determining that English be the primary language of instruction at this institution.

Delivering judgment electronically on Tuesday evening, SCA president, Judge Mandisa Maya, ruled that the "university's decision to replace its dual-medium language policy with [an] English-only policy infringed [the] principle of legality and [was] unlawful".

The SCA held that the university "failed to establish that it was not reasonably practicable to continue offering tuition in Afrikaans" and upheld AfriForum's appeal with costs.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
I never understood what the problem was here.

There are no lectures if you study through UNISA. The only time you are ''exposed'' to Afrikaans is when you receive your exam papers which are in both English and Afrikaans, so you just ignore the Afrikaans stuff.

As for your study material, if you stipulate English you only receive English material.

Lucas Buck

Expert Member
I never understood what the problem was here.

There are no lectures if you study through UNISA. The only time you are ''exposed'' to Afrikaans is when you receive your exam papers which are in both English and Afrikaans, so you just ignore the Afrikaans stuff.

As for your study material, if you stipulate English you only receive English material.
Were all courses and exams available in both languages or only certain courses where the lecturer was bilingual?

Shaun108

Executive Member
Probably triggered lil boerseuns complaining that they can't understand Engels and went crying to their daddies, who took it up with Afroforum.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Were all courses and exams available in both languages
When you enroll you choose what language you want to do your course in. At least that option was available when I done my online registration. I chose English and I only ever received English study material. Some exam papers had instructions and questions in both languages or else I just received everything in English.

or only certain courses where the lecturer was bilingual?
UNISA is online, there are no lectures. There are tutors you can speak to and of course they would speak to you in a language you both understand.

Lucas Buck

Expert Member
When you enroll you choose what language you want to do your course in. At least that option was available when I done my online registration. I chose English and I only ever received English study material. Some exam papers had instructions and questions in both languages or else I just received everything in English.

UNISA is online, there are no lectures. There are tutors you can speak to and of course they would speak to you in a language you both understand.
There are lecturers who set the coursework, as well as the exam papers. If all courses need to be in both languages and the lecturer doesn't read or write in Afrikaans, does someone else need to translate the coursework and exams into Afrikaans.
If Unisa like other institutions are hiring more black foreign and local academics, more people may need to be hired as translaters. Aside from the political aspect when it comes to language, this could have been a cost saving exercise by unisa.
Unless it was a case of resources. Not sure what the demand is, perhaps they could not justify the cost of replicating material in two languages.
Possibly this as well.

Last edited: