Renault Kiger (cross between a Kwid & a Triber)

FiestaST

Honorary Master
More SUV choice for local buyers as Renault launches its new Kiger: we have SA pricing

Renault's new Kiger has debuted in South Africa.

Priced from R199 900, the Kiger is powered by the same engine as the popular Kwid.

The Kiger range is available with three trim levels.

The new Renault Kiger has officially been launched in South Africa, offering prospective customers an expanded choice in the Kwid family. The Kiger is the third model in the family, joining the aforementioned Kwid and sever-seat Triber.

Unveiled in the closing stages of 2020, the Kiger boasts a 2 500mm long wheelbase and 16-inch black diamond-cut alloy wheels. Ground clearance is a good 205mm, with the SUV-ness supported by the black wheel arches. Renault claims a boot space of 405 litres.

Six exterior colours - Cool White, Planet Grey, Moonlight Grey, Mahogany Brown, Caspian Blue, and Radiant Red - are on offer with the LED daytime running lights, front grille with a 3D graphic finish, and aluminium finish skid plate. The roof rail bars have a 50kg load capacity.

Range and pricing

• Kiger Life 1.0L: R199 900

• Kiger Zen 1.0L: R214 900

• Kiger Zen 1.0L AMT: R224 900

• Kiger Zen 1.0L Turbo: R249 900

• Kiger Intens 1.0L Turbo: R269 900

• Kiger Intens 1.0L Turbo CVT: R289 900

The turbocharged Kiger models are covered by a three-year or 45 000km service plan, while the non-turbo models come standard with a two-year or 30 000km service plan. A five-year or 150 000km mechanical warranty and a six-year anticorrosion warranty are also included.

Drivetrain

One engine in two states of tune power the Kiger range. In its naturally aspirated guise, the 1.0-litre three-cylinder engine produces 52kW and 96Nm, while power increases to 74kW and 160Nm in turbocharged trim. Renault claims a fuel return of 5.0-litres/100km for the turbocharged unit. Three gearboxes channel power to the front wheels, the first being a five-speed manual 'box that is available with both engine choices. Renault's AMT (automated manual transmission) is available on the naturally aspirated engine, while an X-Tronic CVT (continuously variable transmission) is used in conjunction with the turbocharged unit.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Lol not what I meant. Doesn't the Triber have a top speed of like 140. So I wonder if this can do highway speed respectably.
It's about 150 on the Triber and it handles the highway fine, speed limit is 120 anyway and don't hog the fast lane.

upup

Executive Member
They are bringing out a lot of new models lately.
I wonder when someone will make a tv screen that fits nicely in front and let everything work from it, radio and aircon.

ronz91

Expert Member
It's about 150 on the Triber and it handles the highway fine, speed limit is 120 anyway and don't hog the fast lane.
Steep road with 5 people and full boot, would it manage?

Lupus

Honorary Master
And I assume this is the turbo. No car should have under 100nm these days
Nope it's the stock 1l N/A my wife was one of the first in the country to get the Triber. But in most cases it's no worse then the 1.2l Spark she had previously.

nazmo

Expert Member
Nope it's the stock 1l N/A my wife was one of the first in the country to get the Triber. But in most cases it's no worse then the 1.2l Spark she had previously.

I had a kwid for a day. Perfectly adequate city runner. Never had more than 2 people in it though.

NR7

So I wonder if this can do highway speed respectably.

The 1.0 Turbo seems decent at 74kw and 160nm.

The 1.0 NA though is quite anemic. 52kW and 96Nm, which is a downgrade from the 64kw and 128nm that the Sandero made

4 Star NCAP, which is pretty good.

They said they expected that but the official test results aren't out.

The Businesstech article says 3 stars
The body structure of the Renault Kiger is reinforced to meet 3-star GLOBAL NCAP conditions – with safety features including ABS + EBD, 4 Airbags, ISO-FIX, and rear parking sensors.
Source : https://businesstech.co.za/news/motoring/519558/a-look-at-the-new-r200000-renault-suv/amp/

Also Global NCAP is not quite on par with Euro NCAP. I believe that global NCAP only does side impact tests on request (which is necessary for achieving 5 stars) but the test is usually not present on those 4 stars and below. They also don't do a pole test at all.

SHL

Expert Member
Only 2 year service plan for the non-turbo???

What's the maintenance costs on a Renault these days?

Lupus

Honorary Master

That's more then you get with a VW, unless you pay for a service plan, most places you now need to pay for a service plan.

Nuro

Expert Member

My Sandero Stepway is fairly cheap, dunno about the new models. But damn, just worked out the finance on the top of the range without residual, and you are looking at R5300-6500 pm depending on deposit and term. Maybe I'm just getting old, but it feels expensive.