Renault Kiger (cross between a Kwid & a Triber)

ronz91

Expert Member
My Sandero Stepway is fairly cheap, dunno about the new models. But damn, just worked out the finance on the top of the range without residual, and you are looking at R5300-6500 pm depending on deposit and term. Maybe I'm just getting old, but it feels expensive.
is there a good online calculator out there for this?

Dylan_G

Expert Member
Very very interesting.

Might seriously consider this. Ticks many of the boxes for me.

FiestaST

Honorary Master

DRIVEN: Renault Kiger SUV hits SA with R200 000 starting price​

What features does it have?

The Renault Kiger is available in three spec grades, namely Life, Zen and Intens, and the middle model is the only one available with both engines.

In terms of standard spec, the Life comes with manual air conditioning with additional rear air vents, a conventional four-speaker DIN radio with USB port, remote central locking, front electric windows and 16-inch steel rims with plastic wheel covers.

The Zen, priced from R214 900, adds an 8-inch touchscreen infotainment system with Bluetooth, CarPlay and Android Auto connectivity, reverse camera, as well as steering-mounted controls, push-button start, rear electric windows and 16-inch wheels with ‘Flex’ covers designed to look like alloys – and they really do!

The range-topping Intens trim grade comes with automatic air conditioning, one-touch up functionality for the driver’s window, 3-D Auditorium sound system with 4 tweeters, wireless smartphone replication, TFT instrument cluster, rear window defogger, cooled lower glove box, selectable driving modes and 16-inch Diamond Cut alloy wheels.

As for safety, the Life base model (rather ironically) has fewer safety features than the two top models, although the basics like dual front airbags and ABS brakes are still part of the deal. Front side airbags are fitted from Zen upwards, while all turbo variants also come with ESP stability control.

The normally aspirated models are sold with a two-year/30 000km service plan and the turbo variants get a three-year/45 000km plan. All models are sold with a five-year or 150 000km mechanical warranty.

Renault Kiger prices (2021)

1.0L Life manual – R199 900
1.0L Zen manual – R214 900
1.0L Zen AMT – R224 900
1.0L Turbo Zen manual – R249 900
1.0L Turbo Intens manual – R269 900
1.0L Turbo Intens CVT – R289 900

FiestaST

Honorary Master

Renault Kiger (2021) Launch Review​

The new vehicle market’s compact family-car segment continues to expand rapidly and many of the newcomers are priced around the R300k mark. The Renault Kiger is the latest model to enter the fray and we sampled the Indian-made budget crossover at its local launch in Cape Town.​

Renault Kiger Pricing (September 2021)​

Kiger Life 1.0LR199 900
Kiger Zen 1.0LR214 900
Kiger Zen 1.0L AMTR224 900
Kiger Zen 1.0L TurboR249 900
Kiger Intens 1.0L TurboR269 900
Kiger Intens 1.0L Turbo CVTR289 900

Summary​

Without a shadow of a doubt, the Renault Kiger offers good value for money in the budget crossover segment. The price is very competitive in a busy pocked of the new-vehicle market where top-spec derivatives usually retail for R300k, if not more. The Kiger is well-equipped inside with the modern standards for connectivity, as well as nice-to-have features such as a reverse-view camera and parking sensors for most derivatives.

The 1.0-litre turbopetrol engine delivers enough oomph to make the Kiger feel nippy round town and, in combination with the CVT, offers the most balanced and comfortable driving experience.

Some of the interior material choices may be a bit iffy, but that’s balanced out with class-leading practicality in the form of a large load bay and split-folding seats, as well myriad storage spaces in the cabin.

Renault SA expects to sell several units of the newcomer a month – in a segment of the market that has seen the largest growth in 2021. At first glance, it seems the Kiger has a decent shot at meeting those ambitious targets.

3228CA2A-70D1-439D-8AE2-3FDD0C4C7260.jpeg 5B00DA63-8339-47C0-827C-10597834CC82.jpeg B0D8AED1-86D4-4B84-9CAD-9115508EB0CD.jpeg

TheChamp

Honorary Master
with the roads the way they are and the ability to get more space for a decent price, I can understand why
Except those things don't have much in terms of space, the good, old fashioned hatchback is still the best, station wagon if you want more.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
DRIVEN | The new Kiger SUV continues with Renault's budget-friendly formula in SA

• Renault's new Kiger is now available in South Africa and replaces the popular Sandero.

• Priced from R199 900, the Kiger offers new buyers an opportunity to enter the SUV game.

• The Kiger is built on the Renault-Nissan CMF-A+ platform.

The drive

All engine and gearbox combinations were on offer at the launch, with us opting for the turbocharged 1.0-litre three-engine fitted with the five-speed manual and five-speed CVT (continuously variable transmission). The turbo mill offers 74kW and 160Nm, all of which are sent to the front wheels. Drivers can also switch between three driving modes (Normal, Eco, Sport) using the rotary knob next to the gear lever to alter the vehicle's drivetrain characteristics.

The route allowed for the Kiger's on-road abilities to come to the fore. In Eco, the little SUV offers, expectedly, a more sedated drive. It does not feel as alive as in Sport, and the engine does not chase the redline with the same vigour. Cornering abilities are also not its strongest suit, but it feels justifiably stable on the road when driven to its strengths.

Renault knows, perhaps better than most, that affordability is vital in these trying times. And because not everyone can afford fancy vehicles with all the bells and whistles, they saw a gap that needed addressing. The Kiger continues where the Duster, Kwid, and Triber left off and continues with an approach that made Renault a reckoned contender where tight budgets are concerned.

https://www.news24.com/wheels/newmo...ults-budget-friendly-formula-in-sa-20210910-2

FiestaST

Honorary Master
8 Cheapest Compact SUVs Under R300k

Do you have up to R300k to spend on a new compact SUV? Here are your choices!

The demand for compact SUVs is surging in South Africa and car manufacturers are meeting that demand with a flurry of new products, giving consumers lots of choice across a broad price range.

Times are tough and many consumers will be eagerly eyeing out the lower end of the compact SUV market for an affordable and compact urban runabout. This list, therefore, focuses on offerings up to R300k. Let’s take a look!

Pricing is accurate as of September 2021.

Cheapest Compact SUVs under R300k in South Africa

1. Renault Kiger – From R199 900

2. Suzuki Vitara Brezza – From R244 900

3. Mahindra XUV300 – From R254 999

4. Toyota Urban Cruiser – From R255 300

5. Nissan Magnite – From R256 999

6. Kia Sonet – From R269 995

7. Honda WR-V – R289 900

8. Haval H2 from R294 900 / Haval Jolion from R299 900

FiestaST

Honorary Master
I trust Brenwin's opinion.

I honestly thought this would be some arse licking review but I was pleasantly surprised. A good piece from Brenwin, calling a spade a spade.

On the topic of BN he also has a reason to celebrate:

Tweet.png

Dylan_G

Expert Member

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Damn. So i guess it's "cheap" because it's actually cheap.

R289k for the top spec model undercuts the competition by quite a bit.
Def & the pov spec at under R200k is crazy on-paper value.

ronz91

Expert Member
Damn. So i guess it's "cheap" because it's actually cheap.

R289k for the top spec model undercuts the competition by quite a bit.
Am I right in saying this would also mostly depend what car you are coming from?

Dylan_G

Expert Member
Am I right in saying this would also mostly depend what car you are coming from?
Do you mean the "cheap" part or the undercutting part? I drive a really old car, so a Kiger would be an upgrade and would *probably* not feel cheap.

I was actually comparing it to the other cars in its "class" (Urban Cruiser/Sonet/Magnite/2008/TCross). They are all a bit more expensive, but I'm yet to see such a critical review of any of them.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Do you mean the "cheap" part or the undercutting part? I drive a really old car, so a Kiger would be an upgrade and would *probably* not feel cheap.

I was actually comparing it to the other cars in its "class" (Urban Cruiser/Sonet/Magnite/2008/TCross). They are all a bit more expensive, but I'm yet to see such a critical review of any of them.
The T-Cross and the 2008 are in a different class to this lot, the price is justified by the higher spec. Others like the Sonet are just overpriced mediocrity.

Last edited:

Dylan_G

Expert Member
The T-Cross and the 2008 and the is in a different class to this lot, the price is justified by the higher spec. Others like the Sonet are just overpriced mediocrity.
True. Thats why I added "class" in quotes... I loosely group those vehicles together as they are "compact SUVs" (to me at least)