Renew Drivers license - Let the games begin

lived666

Executive Member
My card expired when I was overseas in 2009.

When I came back to SA in 2013 I just went to traffic cop shop and applied for a new one. Paid normal fees and got it no questions asked.
Yes, The ANC managed to break a working system. Now, for no logical reason, you can't walk go into your local license dept that is within walking distance to your home - you need to book online and if the appointment is 80km away so be it. ****ing clowns.

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
Yes, The ANC managed to break a working system. Now, for no logical reason, you can't walk go into your local license dept that is within walking distance to your home - you need to book online and if the appointment is 80km away so be it. ****ing clowns.

That one is easy...
Millions of people going to a single "shop" with only 2 staff members in it to get a lic while other "shops" have 5+ staff members and not a single client in site. <-- cant have that.

Instead of looking at demand and increasing the staff/shops where its needed, we stuff up every one else's experience and look like we doing something about it <-- its that simple. :)

koeksGHT

Dealer
Got a booking for Midrand 2 weeks ago, didn't need booking, joined ques, done in 40 minutes.

unobeat

So drove all the way to Fochville, old school type little town, has more fire trucks than the city of JHB (shhh), lots of traffic police all over, very neat popo, haven't seen uniforms this smart in a long time. Took 3 hours on the dot - about 2 hours 20 mins for the registration and 40 minutes to pay.

They only have two stations and two cashiers but they don't always run simultaneously, also the cashier line gets very long after 12 because you have all the learners etc.

Anyhow, no drama, except the queue was formed wrong way round, caused a lot of confusion, and white people just don't like waiting - man the complaints. Having the eye test done early doesn't stop you from waiting in line, it just saves time and you don't have to put your head on their machine.

Anyhow supposedly 6 weeks wait - not sure if I can check if its ready or not - it is just too far a drive if its not.
Thanks for update.

I guess i will look at other areas in Gauteng to get the renewal done and just take the drive because finding a spot in areas around me has been fruitless.

Interestingly Fochville seems to always have spots available for booking.
BTW how much was the renewal with the temp as i guess you need to do it. What documents did you take with?

lived666

Executive Member
Thanks for update.

I guess i will look at other areas in Gauteng to get the renewal done and just take the drive because finding a spot in areas around me has been fruitless.

Interestingly Fochville seems to always have spots available for booking.
BTW how much was the renewal with the temp as i guess you need to do it. What documents did you take with?
no, don't need a temp - mine expires in May and there is a grace period until August. They say you need a copy of ID but they didn't appear to, but then who knows.
Where do you stay - there are spots right now in Edenvale, Carletonville, Fochville, and a few others

unobeat

no, don't need a temp - mine expires in May and there is a grace period until August. They say you need a copy of ID but they didn't appear to, but then who knows.
Where do you stay - there are spots right now in Edenvale, Carletonville, Fochville, and a few others
PTA
I checked as well, will book Edenvale.

Elax

Went back to Sandton on Monday, and they had my license, so roughly 2.5 months after applying.

Elax

I think slots are released at random times. Keep trying throughout the day.

Moosedrool

Executive Member
Got a booking didnt need a booking

Do you even english?

Think he meant he didn’t need a booking when he was at the license centre. Something similar happened to me last time. The untrained idiots didn’t know where the forms where to fill in. After finally getting it they just let me through without looking at any booking.

JOEY_8

I applied a few weeks ago. They gave me a letter which allows me to drive for 4-6 weeks in the meantime.

Here in KZN I didn't need to book anything. I just went to the local licensing department and it took around 30-40 minutes to sort out.
That being said, I was lucky it was surprisingly quiet, because when it's busy you're looking at 3-5 hours in the queue.

Kornhole

Blackburn Fan
Managed to get a booking on my first day trying. It was just luck that Midrand had slots open when I looked.

I tried in the morning and the site just kept freezing but they do open slots at random it seems.

lived666

Executive Member
checked enatis for my licence update and it says:

Your driving licence card has been produced and posted to the Driving Licence Testing Centre (DLTC). Check in a few days when you can go and collect it.

I seriously hope they don't use the ****ing post office when they say post because in that case, if I'm lucky, I might get the new card next year sometime.