Renewal of Driver's Licence

vorman

Expert Member
What does it cost to renew one's driver''s licence & is there a fine for late renewals?
Isn't it free for renewal? Not sure about late renewal fine.

You will do the Eye test at the traffic department, just not sure about the photos anymore. Last time i went i took photos myself.

P924

Expert Member
Isn't it free for renewal? Not sure about late renewal fine.

You will do the Eye test at the traffic department, just not sure about the photos anymore. Last time i went i took photos myself.
It is not free. But I do not know the current cost.

If it is late, you have to pay for a temporary drivers license. But only if more than a month IIRC.

DMNknight

Expert Member
What does it cost to renew one's driver''s licence & is there a fine for late renewals?
I renewed this year and I think R300 cash on the dot. One for the renewal and another bit for the temp license.
No late fee's were incurred. I had allowed a previous license expire by failing to collect it.

Get your eyes tested at an optician and the photo's done at a photography studio. It cuts out a lot of the queue.
2pm at the Randburg station on a Friday is apparently the best time to go. I did and it was as quiet as the grave in there, with the exception fo the people that wanted to go home early until I pitched up.

There's also a .gov site somewhere with all the details.

Venomous

Honorary Master
Did mine in December.
Make sure you have cash.
Just DL and temp.
Need 2 copies of valid ID. They moan about passport.
And 2 ID pics.

Unless prices increased you'll get change if you take R350. Can't remember exact Rands.
Cash, is a must.

I must call to find out if ready as that was before xmas, and still no SMS.

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
This is from the Western Cape Government website. Not sure if it's different for other provinces.

Renewing your driving licence

Your credit card driving licence is only valid for five years and needs to be renewed before the expiry date, which appears on your licence. Don't wait for the renewal notification. Check your licence to make sure you don't miss the date.

You can renew your licence at any time before your licence expires. The new licence will be valid for five years from the date of the renewal.

To renew your licence, you need to complete the DL1 application form at your nearest Driving Licence Testing Centre. You will also need:

Your current driving licence card.
Your ID.
One black and white or colour ID photographs if you're renewing your licence before the expiry date of your current licence or two photographs if you're renewing your licence after the expiry date.
Before your licence can be renewed, you will need to have your fingerprints taken and you will have to undergo an eye test. If your sight has deteriorated since your licence was issued, new restrictions may be attached to your licence. For example, you may be required to wear glasses when driving. Should you fail the eye test completely, your driving licence will not be renewed.

You are not required to undergo the driving test again.

South Africans who are overseas at the time that their driving licences expire can only renew their licences when they return to the country. At present, there are no penalties for late renewal.

If your driving licence has already expired when you go to renew it, you will have to get a temporary driving licence while you wait for the credit card licence to be issued. In this case, you will need an extra two black and white or colour photographs.

There is a R140 licence renewal fee. There is also a fee of R45 if you require a temporary licence.
I'm going on Monday to renew mine. Do optometrists charge for an eye test? Is it expensive to do?

Dan C

Honorary Master
Did mine today.

Was not even one person in the queue :D Passed eye test, but the last 4 objects I couldn't recognise .. hahaha.

Paid R216.

Tips:

* Download the form online and fill out beforehand
* Take proof of residence
* Take copy of ID / Drivers licence
* Photo's 3 of them (some departments need it , others don't)

Side note : They had card machines, so I didn't need to pay in cash.

BTW. If you are in East London, go to Wilsonia at about 1pm or just before.

Last edited:

KT-B

Honorary Master
I do mine in Midrand. I don't live there. They are fast and efficient.

Batista

Executive Member
Gordons bay center - In and out within 40 mins.There is a guy taking photos outside for R40.

mpya

5 hours in one place with strangers

Today i went to kempton park to renew my licence..my experience maybe might benefit someone ....i go there at 10:30am and left at 15:30.
oh 3 hours standing outside in the sun and 3 hours playing musical chairs on wrickety broken chairs ....with all the money that goes through that place one would think they would keep it in tip top shape and maybe put in a tv or music an a machine for refreshments....

I did not need photos for the renewal.they use digital cameras.
I did not opt for the temporary licence--- i would have needed a photo for it should i had opted for the temporary.
I needed proof of residence....photocopy of i.d ...original i.d and old licence came in handy...i needed R228 for the licence.
If i had opted in for the temporary;i would have popped R300 and some .....

i hope that comes in handy and prepares you like the other comments did for me..

thank you.

Holla as you will.

Dan C

Honorary Master
Today i went to kempton park to renew my licence..my experience maybe might benefit someone ....i go there at 10:30am and left at 15:30.
oh 3 hours standing outside in the sun and 3 hours playing musical chairs on wrickety broken chairs ....with all the money that goes through that place one would think they would keep it in tip top shape and maybe put in a tv or music an a machine for refreshments....

I did not need photos for the renewal.they use digital cameras.
I did not opt for the temporary licence--- i would have needed a photo for it should i had opted for the temporary.
I needed proof of residence....photocopy of i.d ...original i.d and old licence came in handy...i needed R228 for the licence.
If i had opted in for the temporary;i would have popped R300 and some .....

i hope that comes in handy and prepares you like the other comments did for me..

thank you.

Holla as you will.
5 hours !! Man I will drive without a licence if I had to go through that ...

JackWhite

Expert Member
Any tips for which centre is quick and efficient in the East Rand Jhb? I am in Benoni and the room that hands you the form closed at lunch coz the line is too long for the day.

TheFriendlyGhost

Expert Member
I did not need photos for the renewal.they use digital cameras..
This applies if you do the eyetest at the centre. The eyetest machine and camera are at the same station. If you opt to do the eyetest at an optometrist, then you need to take photos with you

ISP cash cow

Executive Member
This applies if you do the eyetest at the centre. The eyetest machine and camera are at the same station. If you opt to do the eyetest at an optometrist, then you need to take photos with you
I just recently did my renewal for my license and I wanted to do my eye test at the optometrist and was told they won't accept it, you have to do their eye test. The irony is if you fail their eye test then they will accept an eye test certificate from an optometrist or send you around the corner to get one from that Optometrist.

we also still needed ID photos for the renewal although they did the digital photos as well.

This department of license this is one of the most ****ed up thing I ever came across.

biena

Executive Member
Wapadrand Pretoria

* Download the form and fill out beforehand
Not accepted, they hand out forms and mark it, only those with the correct mark for the day is allowed into the office.

AniCar

Does anyone know about the queue estimate at Marlboro station for license renewal?