Renewal of Driver's Licence

Hamster

Resident Rodent
I just recently did my renewal for my license and I wanted to do my eye test at the optometrist and was told they won't accept it, you have to do their eye test.
The SO renewed hers 3 or so months ago. Optometrist eye test was accepted.

eehellfire

Executive Member
I've heard some complaints about Randburg over the last month.
Should I rather go to Sandton? Or Edenvale?

StrontiumDog

Executive Member
The SO renewed hers 3 or so months ago. Optometrist eye test was accepted.
Did mine today at Milnerton traffic dept (CPT). First you go to enquiries to get the DL form. The eye test guy accepted the optom cert, but ran me through their test in any event, and said I passed their test too so I didn't need the optom cert. I also had to queue in the fairly long queue for the eye test despite having the optom eye cert, and that queue took me 45 minutes to get through from start to finish. I'm terrible at filling out forms so half the time in the queue was filling out the DL form.

All in all it took me 1 hour and I went there at 2:20pm (they close at 3pm), by 3:30pm they closed the entrance gates. The dude at enquires was in a bad mood, and very curt with me. The guy arriving after me was told to not waste his time and to go home by the aforementioned enquiries guy who also bumped into late arriving guy when he was behind me in the queue. They almost had a little "don't touch me on my studio" moment when late arriving guy took exception to being bumped. Most of the other staff there seemed quite friendly though.

Oh, they have card facilities there, but I guess this is more of a W.Cape thing than elsewhere around the country.

Easter Bunny

Expert Member
i did mine today at the marlboro one in sandton. it was actually not that bad. i showed up at 6:50am and was about the 15th person in the queue. around 7:00am they start letting people in to collect their licences while the rest of us wait outside.

when they let us in, we sat down and a dude checked that everyone has ID, copies of ID, proof of residence and photos, then he gave us a green form to complete. after that it was eye tests and then i paid. my licence expired at the beginning of the month, so i took a temporary one as well and paid R300.

so you'll need:
- one photo (black&white) for the application
- one photo (black&white) for temp licence (if you need that)
- R300 for the two above (not sure what each one costs)
- proof of residence
- ID
- a copy of ID (i went with 4 certified copies, just in case)
- a pen so you don't have to borrow one or use the communal pen

go middle of the month, seems to be good. i was done at 8:30am

vorman

Expert Member
Just an update or for those interested in the Paarl Driver Licencing Centre.

Went exactly on the day my licence was expiring. Got there around 1:15pm. Was out around 1:45pm.
Take a form from the desk and sit in queue if there is one, fill in while waiting in the queue to save time.
The queue is for the eye test, picture and fingerprints all done in one booth. After doing that, wait in payment queue to pay. R140 for renewal card only (Additional R80 for temporary licence).

I took copy of ID, proof of residence and colour photos because I thought I will need a temporary licence. Upon paying, the lady said I do not need it even though my licence expired on that day. She did take 1 colour photo though to attach to the form, not sure why. Will update once card arrives to indicate time of processing.

A colleague went to same centre 2 months ago, and still did not receive the card. This is because of the strikes in PTA apparently. He also waited a bit longer in the queues. I was a bit lucky in that there was literally no queue at all.

vorman

Expert Member
So a post card came in the mail reminding me to collect my licence.

Well that escalated quickly....

Edit: not sure why picture added twice. I did make an edit though for rotation, maybe a bug.

20181031_190817~4.jpeg

Attachments

thestaggy

Honorary Master
I tried the online booking route - https://online.natis.gov.za/#/E7062

Online process was quick and easy. Select province, select a centre, select a date, pick a time slot.

Now, the time you pick seems to mean nothing and I'll elaborate as I go. The booking confirmation tells you what you need to bring with you; R228 for the license renewal, your ID, a copy of your ID, two photos and a certificate from an optometrist. The booking confirmation also tells you to arrive an hour early, and you'll soon see why. You can print out the renewal form as well and fill it in before you get there. I printed out two copies just in case they found fault with the one I filled in.

I selected the Xavier Junction license center in Jo'burg and arrived about 50-minutes before my appointment which was for 10:50. I had with me;

* R400 - R228 for the license renewal, R72 for the temporary license and R70 for the photos. At the Xavier center there were two private vendors taking photos, I'd imagine you'd find the same or similar at all centres. I'd advise smaller denominated notes and coins for the photos (50s, 20s, 10s, 5s) as the vendors struggle with change. They don't accept old R200 notes when paying for your license either.
* Printed proof of my booking which can be downloaded after you've made your booking and is also emailed to you.
* A certificate from my optometrist.
* My ID and a copy thereof.
* Proof of residence (Booking confirmation said nothing about this but my optometrist actually advised me to do this)
* A black pen. Do not rely on them being able to provide you with stationary.
* Filled in renewal form and a spare copy.

My experience:

* The time you booked means nothing. All booking online means is that you avoid the hellish walk-in queue.
* I lost about 15-minutes waiting to have my photo taken outside by one of the private vendors. R70 for 4 colour photos.
* I entered the building at 10:20 (30-minutes before my booking) and went to reception. They checked my forms and then spent about 5-minutes trying to find a stapler to staple my forms together (Add stapler to your list of things to bring?). Once this was sorted I was directed to a guy that was sitting at an old school desk with a roll of clear sellotape and an ink pad. He taped one of my photos to my renewal form, asked if I booked online or not and then directed me to a specific area where there were some chairs and a few people waiting. I'll call this the ''online queue''. They will check if you have your proof of booking with you.
* There were three people servicing the ''online queue''. They take your fingerprints, a digital photo and they can also do an eye test, but as I already had mine done it was just fingerprints and photo. I was assisted at 11:10, 20-minutes later than the time I booked. At one point all three employees servicing this queue disappeared simultaneously without saying anything. Once I was done here, I was then directed to a cashier.
* At the cashier I paid R300 for the renewal and temp license, received a receipt and my temp license before being directed back to the person sitting at the old school desk. He took another one of my photos, taped it to my temp license and took my left thumb fingerprint which was placed on the temp license. This guy was the friendliest and most efficient of the lot, the rest seemed as if they wanted to be anywhere but there.
* Walked out by 11:30.

Conclusion:

Time booked only means you avoid the hell that is walk-in. Those that book online are seen to on a first-come, first-serve basis so get there an hour before your booked time and get in the ''online queue'' ASAP. Bring a pen and possibly even a stapler. I'd recommend a spare renewal form as the guy that took my fingerprints tried to argue that my form was incorrect before I asked him to check it again. Can't really complain about anything as I was there for around an hour-and-a-half while the walk-in queue was barely moving. Most of the people I saw when I walked in were still waiting in the walk-in queue when I walked out.

Last edited:

powermzii

Expert Member
I tried the online booking route - https://online.natis.gov.za/#/E7062

Online process was quick and easy. Select province, select a centre, select a date, pick a time slot.

Now, the time you pick seems to mean nothing and I'll elaborate as I go. The booking confirmation tells you what you need to bring with you; R228 for the license renewal, your ID, a copy of your ID, two photos and a certificate from an optometrist. The booking confirmation also tells you to arrive an hour early, and you'll soon see why. You can print out the renewal form as well and fill it in before you get there. I printed out two copies just in case they found fault with the one I filled in.

I selected the Xavier Junction license center in Jo'burg and arrived about 50-minutes before my appointment which was for 10:50. I had with me;

* R400 - R228 for the license renewal, R72 for the temporary license and R70 for the photos. At the Xavier center there were two private vendors taking photos, I'd imagine you'd find the same or similar at all centres. I'd advise smaller denominated notes and coins for the photos (50s, 20s, 10s, 5s) as the vendors struggle with change. They don't accept old R200 notes when paying for your license either.
* Printed proof of my booking which can be downloaded after you've made your booking and is also emailed to you.
* A certificate from my optometrist.
* My ID and a copy thereof.
* Proof of residence (Booking confirmation said nothing about this but my optometrist actually advised me to do this)
* A black pen. Do not rely on them being able to provide you with stationary.
* Filled in renewal form and a spare copy.

My experience:

* The time you booked means nothing. All booking online means is that you avoid the hellish walk-in queue.
* I lost about 15-minutes waiting to have my photo taken outside by one of the private vendors. R70 for 4 colour photos.
* I entered the building at 10:20 (30-minutes before my booking) and went to reception. They checked my forms and then spent about 5-minutes trying to find a stapler to staple my forms together (Add stapler to your list of things to bring?). Once this was sorted I was directed to a guy that was sitting at an old school desk with a roll of clear sellotape and an ink pad. He taped one of my photos to my renewal form, asked if I booked online or not and then directed me to a specific area where there were some chairs and a few people waiting. I'll call this the ''online queue''. They will check if you have your proof of booking with you.
* There were three people servicing the ''online queue''. They take your fingerprints, a digital photo and they can also do an eye test, but as I already had mine done it was just fingerprints and photo. I was assisted at 11:10, 20-minutes later than the time I booked. At one point all three employees servicing this queue disappeared simultaneously without saying anything. Once I was done here, I was then directed to a cashier.
* At the cashier I paid R300 for the renewal and temp license, received a receipt and my temp license before being directed back to the person sitting at the old school desk. He took another one of my photos, taped it to my temp license and took my left thumb fingerprint which was placed on the temp license. This guy was the friendliest and most efficient of the lot, the rest seemed as if they wanted to be anywhere but there.
* Walked out by 11:30.

Conclusion:

Time booked only means you avoid the hell that is walk-in. Those that book online are seen to on a first-come, first-serve basis so get there an hour before your booked time and get in the ''online queue'' ASAP. Bring a pen and possibly even a stapler. I'd recommend a spare renewal form as the guy that took my fingerprints tried to argue that my form was incorrect before I asked him to check it again. Can't really complain about anything as I was there for around an hour-and-a-half while the walk-in queue was barely moving. Most of the people I saw when I walked in were still waiting in the walk-in queue when I walked out.
Interestingly when i went to Akasia - they checked what time you had booked for then put all 10:00 - 10:15 online bookers in the same group for servicing. If you were later, say 10:20 you had to wait to be called (around 10:15)

Still glad it went off without a hitch :)

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Interestingly when i went to Akasia - they checked what time you had booked for then put all 10:00 - 10:15 online bookers in the same group for servicing. If you were later, say 10:20 you had to wait to be called (around 10:15)

Still glad it went off without a hitch :)
Wow, okay. So between us it seems as if each centre has their own interpretation.

Mikedup235

Does anyone know what the SMS number is to find out if your license is at the centre of application

Mal79

I'm going tomorrow,
I have:
- a printed NATIS online booking confirmation form,
- my ID document,
- a couple of copies of my ID (Not certified),
- Optometrist eye test certificate,
- 3x color photos,
- a black pen,

Problem: No Proof of residence...

Would an electronic bank statement work as proof of residence?
I would also like to know if a bank statement will be accepted?

Mal79

I'm going tomorrow,
I have:
- a printed NATIS online booking confirmation form,
- my ID document,
- a couple of copies of my ID (Not certified),
- Optometrist eye test certificate,
- 3x color photos,
- a black pen,

Problem: No Proof of residence...

It went surprisingly well. No need for the 3x color photos nor proof of residency.
I arrived at 08:00 am (my booking stated 09:30 am) and was out by 09:30 am.

Feeza

Do you need a booking confirmation letter?
I booked today, but didn't get any confirmation
When I try to book again it says already booked

Mal79

Do you need a booking confirmation letter?
I booked today, but didn't get any confirmation
When I try to book again it says already booked
It makes things easier to have a print out of your booking confirmation letter.
I checked my booking info here:

https://online.natis.gov.za/#/E7063

Fill in the required info and you should be able to get your info.
Save the .PDF file.