Renewing drivers license in Cape Town (Durbanville)

Praemon

Expert Member
My driver's license expires next month, so I have to get it done in the next 2 weeks, probably at the Durbanville DLTC. For anyone who has done theirs recently, can you confirm:
  1. Is there any point printing and completing the DL1 form at home, or will they just make you do it again on "their" forms?
  2. Is there any point in going to an optometrist to do the eye test before hand or do they make you do the test there regardless?
Wanting to make the process as smooth as possible, but not sure about the above, so appreciate any recent experiences!

dualmeister

Honorary Master
My driver's license expires next month, so I have to get it done in the next 2 weeks, probably at the Durbanville DLTC. For anyone who has done theirs recently, can you confirm:
  1. Is there any point printing and completing the DL1 form at home, or will they just make you do it again on "their" forms?
  2. Is there any point in going to an optometrist to do the eye test before hand or do they make you do the test there regardless?
Wanting to make the process as smooth as possible, but not sure about the above, so appreciate any recent experiences!
Did mine at Durbanville.

I printed the DL1 form at home and took an eye test certificate. They will not accept these.

You have to fill out their precious green form. And you have to do their eye test. Only if you fail their eye test then they will look your eye test certificate.

I was told this very nicely by the Manager who has "been in charge there for 35 years" :cautious:

Praemon

Expert Member
Did mine at Durbanville.

I printed the DL1 form at home and took an eye test certificate. They will not accept these.

You have to fill out their precious green form. And you have to do their eye test. Only if you fail their eye test then they will look your eye test certificate.

I was told this very nicely by the Manager who has "been in charge there for 35 years" :cautious:

Okay, thanks - saved me wasting time and effort on that then. I guess trying to do something that will speed up the process will always be frowned upon by government :rolleyes:

Praemon

Expert Member
Did mine at Durbanville.

One other question: did they accept card payments instead of cash or is it cash only?

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
But the Taxi Driver announced recently that eye test certificates would be accepted everywhere in the country now?
And that pre completed forms are also now accepted?

dualmeister

Honorary Master
But the Taxi Driver announced recently that eye test certificates would be accepted everywhere in the country now?
And that pre completed forms are also now accepted?
You are well come to go and try that at Durbanville :ROFL:
Let us know what happens.

• Haha
Reactions: "D"

Big Rat

The test is easy, pick a red dot that shines. so no worries. If you cannot see the dot appear you really should not be driving :ROFL:
for driver renewal it is a few ticks on the form, less than a minute.
And remember a proof of residence letter.. And not the notice they mailed you.
Did mine Mid July

Magandroid

Expert Member
Okay, thanks - saved me wasting time and effort on that then. I guess trying to do something that will speed up the process will always be frowned upon by government :rolleyes:
You can download and print the forms - they accepted my form (black and white). You can have a drivers vision test done at an optometrist. Just beware that not all optometrists do them though. Cost varies but costing about R80 and there is a special form they need to complete. If renewing license then 1 photo will do (black and white or colour). If temp license is needed 2 photos are required. Cost for just renewal is R140 and if temp is needed then cost is R180 or R185 (can't remember). I paid cash though. Also proof of residence is required and be prepared to stand in long queues.
(Edit: Forgot to add - this was Goodwood Traffic Dept.)

Last edited:

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
I downloaded the forms, proof of residence (which they did not want), and 2 colour and 2 b/w photos (which they also did not want), A copy of my ID, a copy of my existing Licence card (both sides), both of which they wanted, got a FREE test done at my Optometrist, and then spent hours in queues (over 3 Wednesdays) to get mine renewed (October last year) and then another queue 6 weeks later also on a Wednesday to collect.

(Centurion in GP)

Praemon

Expert Member
Just thought I'd update this thread since I did my renewal on Tuesday at Durbanville. Got there just after 2PM and it was pretty empty (less than 10 people). They accepted my already completed DL1 form that I printed at home, and didn't require proof of address since my address hadn't changed. The only thing that took time was the queue for the eye test/finger prints due to only one operator (the second came back when it was my turn though). Waited about 30 min for that. The whole thing from start to finish took about 40min.

Once they start accepting 3rd-party eye tests the process should be really quick. Overall a better experience than expected.

The_Mowgs

Honorary Master
Just thought I'd update this thread since I did my renewal on Tuesday at Durbanville. Got there just after 2PM and it was pretty empty (less than 10 people). They accepted my already completed DL1 form that I printed at home, and didn't require proof of address since my address hadn't changed. The only thing that took time was the queue for the eye test/finger prints due to only one operator (the second came back when it was my turn though). Waited about 30 min for that. The whole thing from start to finish took about 40min.

Once they start accepting 3rd-party eye tests the process should be really quick. Overall a better experience than expected.
Thanks for the update, I need to renew mine before next year so will go to Durbanville.