doobz

Hey guys,

So the gist of it: I recently moved back to South Africa, therefore I had all of my belongings with me when I landed. Well as my luck would have it, within one hour of landing and packing my stuff onto a truck to go to my new apartment, I was robbed and beaten by 5 men armed with guns, who then proceeded to take all of my belongings, which included basically all of my money and of course they drove away with the truck that contained everything I owned... So I had nothing left. They then left me on the street so I had to walk for about 5 hours to get to my new place.

So my main problem is that I'm a student and I need a car to go to university. I was supposed to buy a car, but then the robbery happened and I lost upwards of R80000 (Which is like R1.2 Million for a uni student eh). I figured it'd actually be MUCH cheaper to get a rent-to-own vehicle instead of hopping taxis, never mind how much safer it'd be. I opened a student account at FNB, but they said that they don't do vehicle finance for students.

So what I wanted to know was:
  • Is it possible for a foreign student to get a rent-to-own vehicle in SA?
  • Do any of you know a dealership or individual that allows monthly payments of a vehicle, but without involving a bank?

If you're wondering what my budget is, it's:
R2000 - R3500 a month if there's a deposit
R2000 - R5000 a month if there's no deposit

I'm 19 years old if it's of any significance

Thanks

Zoomzoom

Executive Member
Hey guys,

So the gist of it: I recently moved back to South Africa, therefore I had all of my belongings with me when I landed. Well as my luck would have it, within one hour of landing and packing my stuff onto a truck to go to my new apartment, I was robbed and beaten by 5 men armed with guns, who then proceeded to take all of my belongings, which included basically all of my money and of course they drove away with the truck that contained everything I owned... So I had nothing left. They then left me on the street so I had to walk for about 5 hours to get to my new place.

So my main problem is that I'm a student and I need a car to go to university. I was supposed to buy a car, but then the robbery happened and I lost upwards of R80000 (Which is like R1.2 Million for a uni student eh). I figured it'd actually be MUCH cheaper to get a rent-to-own vehicle instead of hopping taxis, never mind how much safer it'd be. I opened a student account at FNB, but they said that they don't do vehicle finance for students.

So what I wanted to know was:
  • Is it possible for a foreign student to get a rent-to-own vehicle in SA?
  • Do any of you know a dealership or individual that allows monthly payments of a vehicle, but without involving a bank?

If you're wondering what my budget is, it's:
R2000 - R3500 a month if there's a deposit
R2000 - R5000 a month if there's no deposit

I'm 19 years old if it's of any significance

Thanks

Except apparently your piano which was too heavy for the truck.

Hey guys,

So imma need some serious help here. Don't know how many musicians are on MyBB, but I'm sure you're out there.

Anyway, I was robbed recently on my way back from the airport. They stole everything from me, including my passport, except for my piano due to its weight. The power supply for my piano was in my laptop bag, which they stole. I've been driving around looking for a replacement for a few days now but I can't find a store in JHB that sells 12v 500ma Korg Power supplies. I have a gig in a few days so I'd really appreciate it if someone would tell me where I could get a power supply for a Korg SP170s. The only one I was able to find was on Wantitall and it retailed for R2300 •-•.

So if anyone knows where I could find an SP 170s power supply, I'd greatly appreciate it.

doobz

Except apparently your piano which was too heavy for the truck.

I was in a car with a truck accompanying me, my piano was in the car with me, in the backseat, wedged diagonally between the floor and ceiling so it wouldn't move. So yeah, it was too heavy for them to just pick up and go with, and they didn't have the time to remove it from the wedge so they left it. The car was this old automatic Toyota, don't remember the make, anyway, they took the keys and left us. So I decided to walk home. Got my piano back later when the guy managed to get the car running.

Arthur

Honorary Master
What a miz story.

Have you tried contacting any of the car rental companies. They have long-term lease options.

Here's Avis, for example.

doobz

Yeah, English isn't my first language, so yeah, I guess "Toyota" would be the make. I think I meant "model"

Idk how Police works over here, but my case number is 807-03-17 at the Douglasdale Police Station, since it happened in some dark corner near Douglasdale.

Idk how else I can prove it to you.

Sumen

Expert Member
Anyway, Let's just give you the advice.

How much are you willing to spend monthly ?

KleinBoontjie

Honorary Master
Toyota would be the make?

Your story sounds made up.

+1, yeah, what foreigner in their right mind will come to South Africa to study? Probably from a country with no TV and news. OP, go google "fees must fall" and you'll see how they torched the Universities here.

doobz

+1, yeah, what foreigner in their right mind will come to South Africa to study? Probably from a country with no TV and news. OP, go google "fees must fall" and you'll see how they torched the Universities here.

Yeah I read about that before, not much to deter me, though, seen way worse. Honestly, this is still the best country on this continent to study in. That fees must fall thing is stupid af, tho. The university fees here are actually pretty reasonable.