Rental Problems Advice

RPJBotha

Good day!

I hope this is the right area to post such a thread.

I need some advice on a situation that we are going through.

We moved into a new place in a "secure" complex beginning of last month. It looked very secure and neat. The first night staying there we had a guy trying to climb over our garden wall which came crashing down leaving a big hole for easy access for the next attempt.

The night after, a unit very close to ours got broken into and then two more such incidents the same week.

Needless to say we where quite rattled and started upgrading security, But the uneasy feeling has not subsided.
Which led to us giving notice to vacate the premises end of next month.

The are in which I need advice is with regard to the body corporate, they required a deposit to be paid of R1500 for the utilities, including usage up to date of R375. I gladly paid for the usage but refuse to pay the deposit just for them to come up with some reason not to pay it back or deduct ridiculous amounts for admin fees.

They have now today threatened to cut the electricity at 13:00 if I don't pay the deposit even though I paid the usage in full.

What would you suggest I do and do I have a valid reason not to want to hand over a R1500 for them ending up not paying it back?

Thanks for the help,
Ru

Billy

Expert Member
You are lucky that you have been supplied with electricity without paying a deposit. You have little alternative to paying it now.

RPJBotha

Yes True but I can also say that I was not told upfront who to contact for this and what it will cost, very bad agents and hard to get hold of. I just feel its ridiculous to pay a deposit now after I have already given notice that I will be moving out. They have already supplied me with a cancellation document which I need to complete my banking details to have the deposit paid back.

Honey Badger

Honorary Master
I doubt they'll pay it back considering the wall which came "tumbling down" while you held residency of the place

RPJBotha

I read now, Under the rental and housing act, that the landlord may not cause the non-supply or interrupted supply of services to a dwelling without a court order, does that mean they first have to go to court before switching off the electricity?

F1 Fan

Expert Member
I read now, Under the rental and housing act, that the landlord may not cause the non-supply or interrupted supply of services to a dwelling without a court order, does that mean they first have to go to court before switching off the electricity?
Most likely yes. But if they do turn it off, why can you do about i? Nothing other than go to court as well. So it's a lose lose situation for you.

Venomous

Honorary Master
Most likely yes. But if they do turn it off, why can you do about i? Nothing other than go to court as well. So it's a lose lose situation for you.
Could be...

But as OP has given notice, it is likely they will move before court case starts, nevermind the case concluded.

RPJBotha

Essentially I'm not breaking the law if I don't pay them on time or according to how they see fit, however they would break the law by stopping the services. Only after the court has ordered me to pay them and I don't then I would be breaking the law. Tell me if I'm wrong?

RPJBotha

I contacted my attorney and it is totally illegal to cut water and lights without a court order, which they already did. New ball game just started.

RPJBotha

Yes I clearly see their ways of doing things surfacing here, and this is not even with the rental agency its with the body corporate who handle the utilities.

Cius

Executive Member
Cutting electricity by a body corp or rental agency is a clear act of Spoilation. Sue them and sue them hard. You can't really loose that portion of the case.

RPJBotha

I have already contacted my attorney, and he said exactly what Cius said. So I got to throw the: My Attorney will be in contact with you biatches!!