Renualt Stepway Towbar

Jiggy

does anyone know where i can get a towbar fitted for my stepway at a reasonable price? I have tried the well known brands and either they dont do them or im looking at R4500 upwards.

we fitted a towvar to my inlaws i20 and that was R2500 - thats acceptable, R4500 is madness

"D"

Expert Member
Buy one from a scrapyard, have a reputable installer do the fitment.

But, before you do that, take a moment and think it over, because if your Stepway is a 2014/2015 (or newer) model, then you will be fitting a tow bar onto a car that has a 900cc engine.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Buy one from a scrapyard, have a reputable installer do the fitment.

But, before you do that, take a moment and think it over, because if your Stepway is a 2014/2015 (or newer) model, then you will be fitting a tow bar onto a car that has a 900cc engine.
It has a rated braked towing capacity of 760kg and unbraked of 500 so it's not a slouch. I took my 900c Clio down to the coast recently and it performed better than my older Cruze did on the same trip.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Years ago I had a towbar fitted to my Megane. The cheapest option worked out to be buying the towbar direct at the dealer and having it fitted at a kwikfit.

(I have found over the years sometimes parts are a lot cheaper at the dealer)

"D"

Expert Member
@Lupus

But at every single pull-away, while still under 2000rpm, it will most probably be a slouch ... and that is such a drag.

Jiggy

Its for family Luggage. For family trips, 2 - 3 times a year. my kayak is on the roof so i cant fit a carrier on top.

Jiggy

i Have a old towbar for a corsa, if i cut and weld the plates in place for mounting would i need to have it certified? i can fit and wire myself, im just not sure of the legal ramifications, also would it affect my insurance?