Repeated outages twice an hour - anyone have the same issue?

For the past 3 days I've had a very odd ADSL issue. The ADSL line remains up the whole time, but every half an hour the ISP connection drops and refuses to let me back on for 5 minutes. Then it all works fine for another 25 minutes, then off for 5 minutes, repeat ad nauseam. I've logged the fault with Telkom and they haven't been able to sort it out.

• I went to far as to rule out the modem by buying a replacement modem.
  • I've checked all the wiring that goes anywhere near telephone lines on my property, and there's nothing anywhere that could affect internet connectivity.
  • I've looked at the signal to noise ratios and line attenuation and there's absolutely no difference between when the ISP connection won't connect and when it connects fine.
  • I've tried 3 different ISPs - MWEB, Axxess and the Telkom guest account. There's no difference between any of them - they all do exactly the same thing.
  • I've driven around my area to see if there's any construction or maintenance anywhere that could be causing interference, and there's nothing.

Has anyone experienced anything similar, and if so, how was it solved? I'm on the Glenvista exchange in Joburg south, and my ADSL line quality is generally excellent, with the exception of these bizarre five minute outages every half an hour.

Thanks guys!

Willy2580

Glenvista exchange having problems

I spoke to a Telkom techie this morning, he said that the exchange is having problems. It seems Glenvista ext 1,2 and 3 are experiencing the same problem.

alchamy

Expert Member
Thought I was the only one but similar issue in Brackenhurst on two DSL lines, perfect line and then crash boom bam dropped connection for a few minutes. Rinse Repeat all weekend.

sand_man

Honorary Master
Yip. I been experiencing the same on the houghton exchange. Thought it was my router as changing account didn't help while a router reboot often does. I never suspected the exchange.

Willy2580

Slow speed

When I am able to stay connected for more than 10 min my speeds are extremely slow...

This is on a 4meg line.

Can anyone having this issue please update this thread with any info you get from Telkom folks? I've been unable to speak to anyone in ADSL support all weekend, so any info will be at least better than none. Thanks!

Willy2580

Still experiencing problems?

Anyone still experiencing problems?

Received an SMS this morning saying that the issue has been resolved but my speeds are still extremely slow and I still lose connectivity every 20min...

Mez

I am in JHB south and am having my line dropping constantly, I don't know if I fall under Glenvista, i think i fall under City Deep?

This issue seems to be affecting more and more people, and Telkom have done NOTHING to sort it out. Is there anyone on these forums that has any kind of pull to get a proper answer out of Telkom, because I'm going to post on HelloPeter and HellKom about this now. It's simply ridiculous that a problem can go more than four days unresolved, with Telkom not even admitting there's an issue.

Willy2580

World Class Company

Phoned Telkom again and the fault was escalated for the 4th time...
You think a "World Class" company would at least let their customers know that there is a problem...

StoneCold

Expert Member
I have the exact same issue !

Everything was working fine this morning before I left for work, since 2pm this afternoon when I got mine, I've not been able to connect and after about 30min it connected. Thought it was fine, but now every 5-10min I would lose access and sometimes my line would desync. I sms'd a friend which is one the same exchange, he has the same problem, so something else must be buggered somewhere on Telkom's network.

BTW, I'm in Bloemfontein on the Langenhovenpark exchange.

I think we need to differentiate between unrelated connection problems and the specific issue I raised to begin with: My ADSL line is UP the whole time, but ISP connectivity goes down regular like clockwork every 25 minutes, for a period of 5 minutes.

D4N

Expert Member
I think we need to differentiate between unrelated connection problems and the specific issue I raised to begin with: My ADSL line is UP the whole time, but ISP connectivity goes down regular like clockwork every 25 minutes, for a period of 5 minutes.
When did this start to happen? I've been experiencing this since Thursday. I'm on 011 432-xxxx

Willy2580

Ive been experiencing these problems for nearly a week, but it seems to be getting worse...
I'm also 011-432-XXXX.
Does anyone also have poor line speed? My line is syncing at what it should be, but I only get 384k speeds when browsing etc...
I really hope this gets resolved soon...

D4N

Expert Member
Ive been experiencing these problems for nearly a week, but it seems to be getting worse...
I'm also 011-432-XXXX.
Does anyone also have poor line speed? My line is syncing at what it should be, but I only get 384k speeds when browsing etc...
I really hope this gets resolved soon...