Replacing an engine

marco79

Expert Member
I am having endless mechanical problems with a cheap car I bought cash last year. It is a 2006 Nissan Almera. A friend of mine suggested that I should replace the engine.

Should I get an import engine or a second hand local one?

What processes do I follow after the engine is replaced with regards to police clearance, etc? Do I need to re-register the car with new engine number? Must I redo the roadworthy of the car?

Has anyone here have a vehicles engine replaced?

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
Here in JHB we have a shop that deals in engines that have been imported from Japan, some are in very good nick. I think it would be best to find a shop like this in CT and buy one from them.

As for the other questions I have no idea, my dad has done some engine swops for clients and ive never seen anything like re-registering and stuff like that.

gelid

The import engine usually have around 30k km on them and they are cheap after it is swapped you have to get police clearance and sort of re register it to state you changed the engine. What problems have you had?

pboy

Expert Member
mikes place in CPT.
you should pick up an engine cheaply. nissan 1600-2000cc engines should be under 10k.

silver6933

Expert Member
1. What problems are you having?

2. Buy from a registered importer and he must give you a valid sale document with engine number.

3. After it is swapped. You do a police clearance. They (police-out source this part) an new(crappy looking) plate is riveted to your car chassis.

It is not too much of a hassle , but it takes time.

acidrain

Executive Member
mikes place in CPT.
you should pick up an engine cheaply. nissan 1600-2000cc engines should be under 10k.

I thought they only do bakkie engines? If not I can also vouch for that place... Got a engine for a Ford Ranger and IIRC it was 15k fitted.

PsYTraNc3

Expert Member
I thought they only do bakkie engines? If not I can also vouch for that place... Got a engine for a Ford Ranger and IIRC it was 15k fitted.

Nope.

They do all sorts and will be your best bet for something decent.
There are other similar places around CPT but Mikes Place is the most well known and trusted.

Necropolis

Executive Member
Get rid of the car and get something that doesn't need a new engine.

Problem = solved.

:D

marco79

Expert Member
I could probably sell the car as is for R30k, what do I get in a reasonable condition for this amount? Maybe add the R10k for the new engine making it R40k.

Then I could spend R10k on a new engine and have a car that would last me another few years.

The car overheated due to the fans not switching on, now the head gasket is blowing out water. The head has been schemed earlier in the year, so I wouldn't want it schemed again. A second hand head is probably around R4500 and with fitment works out to just over R6000. Then because of the overheating, the water pump, radiator cap and thermostat needs replacing. That's maybe another R1000. Making it R7k to repair head or R10k to replace engine.

I would go for an import engine. They range from about R6500 to R8000 excl. fitment.

I'm in Kroonstad, Free State so either the mechanic would supply and fit or I will buy direct from an engine importer in Jhb and have the mechanic do the fitment.

skeptic_SA

Executive Member
I could probably sell the car as is for R30k, what do I get in a reasonable condition for this amount? Maybe add the R10k for the new engine making it R40k.

Then I could spend R10k on a new engine and have a car that would last me another few years.

The car overheated due to the fans not switching on, now the head gasket is blowing out water. The head has been schemed earlier in the year, so I wouldn't want it schemed again. A second hand head is probably around R4500 and with fitment works out to just over R6000. Then because of the overheating, the water pump, radiator cap and thermostat needs replacing. That's maybe another R1000. Making it R7k to repair head or R10k to replace engine.

I would go for an import engine. They range from about R6500 to R8000 excl. fitment.

I'm in Kroonstad, Free State so either the mechanic would supply and fit or I will buy direct from an engine importer in Jhb and have the mechanic do the fitment.

^ I think I found the problem^

UserZ

Here in JHB we have a shop that deals in engines that have been imported from Japan, some are in very good nick. I think it would be best to find a shop like this in CT and buy one from them.

As for the other questions I have no idea, my dad has done some engine swops for clients and ive never seen anything like re-registering and stuff like that.

Care to share the name? And what are the prices like in general?