Replacing keyboard with the 'recall' of Macbook Pro

albert123

Expert Member
Company Rep
So according to Apple website, and the guy at iStore Menlyn, my laptop 'may' qualify for a keyboard replacement. Most keys 'seem' fine normally but sometimes become sticky and so on. The one Key (Command of all buttons) has now come loose, the actual part that you press.

Question is, has anyone in Gauteng actually managed to get this 'free replacement' ? Or is it one of those things that the criteria is so hard to match that you end up paying for it anyway?

Its Macbook Pro 2017 15". Not under warrenty anymore, bought new at iStore 2.5 years ago.

I cant afford to send the laptop away for a week just to find out I need to pay it anyway, then I will have to rather just go with some 3rd party place to get it fixed.

They want to charge me R600 just for finding out if it will be replaced.

Any ideas would be highly appreciated!

Kola_CT

Expert Member
You should be able to verify with Apple directly if your's qualifies for a replacement.

Seems like the local bliksems want money for nothing, which is quite common.

N@t3

Re-calls and Re-call checks should be free, imagine Toyota charging you just to check if you qualify for a recall based life threating defect on a vehicle. Not the same concept but same principals should apply. Apple SA trying to screw you.

Dean

Expert Member
A friend did this a couple of months ago, at Digicape in Cape Town. Took in his 2017 MBP for assessment, which took an hour or two. They confirmed it's part of the recall and gave the machine back to him. They ordered the replacement part(s), which took a week or two to arrive, and he then took the machine back to them and they did the replacement within a couple of hours. No charge.

Pretty painless. I must still do the same for my 2017 MBP.. this keyboard is insufferable.

albert123

Expert Member
Company Rep
A friend did this a couple of months ago, at Digicape in Cape Town. Took in his 2017 MBP for assessment, which took an hour or two. They confirmed it's part of the recall and gave the machine back to him. They ordered the replacement part(s), which took a week or two to arrive, and he then took the machine back to them and they did the replacement within a couple of hours. No charge.

Pretty painless. I must still do the same for my 2017 MBP.. this keyboard is insufferable.
I expected the process to be like this. But iStore insist they need to send it away, they insist I cant take it myself to whereever they send it. They also insist it will cost "at least R600". I asked the guy if he thinks people buy a R50k laptop to be able to go without it for a week because a button came loose, he just laughed and said no he dont know. This the "manager" of the iStore Menlyn... Anyway since I cant afford to have my laptop away for at least a week, and cant afford to hear after this week that its not covered so If i want it back I must pay R600 or R2000+ because the entire keyboard must be replaced, I went the old way and bought super glue for R30 and fixed it myself, at least till the next button starts giving the same issue.

Bottom line, if you buy it locally or from overseas 'with a friend' you have the same support from Apple, which is none. So just buy it at the cheapest place you can possibly get it.

Tim_vb

I had mine repaired the day before the one year global warranty ended. They swapped the top half onto a new bottom half so it the laptop is basically new.

Two years later the backlights acted up later and they replaced the entire laptop. Core does honour the Apple international warranty

VanillaBox

Expert Member
My MBP 15" had the keyboard replacement for free, iStore Canal Walk did send it in to the repair centre in the CBD, it took me 4 days, and they also replaced top cover.

I used the time to see if I can do the iPad living.

shadow_man

Executive Member
I thought I'd update here.

Took my 2017 15" MBP in for the keyboard recall to DigiCape - HQ (Pinelands, CPT).

Their process is to first "clean" (+-24-48hours) the existing keyboard, pull key caps and clean with compressed air. They then release the MBP back to you (in my case I sat testing the keys in their office, and immediately confirmed it was still faulty...)

Due to the "clean" not working, they logged a parts claim (+-2 weeks wait, but at least you have your laptop back in the interim). They then take it in and do the repair (they claim it takes 4 hours, but mine needed to stay overnight).

Repair resulted in a new top case, keyboard and battery (1 cycle yay!).

Hopefully this helps someone else.

KCHOLWICH

So according to Apple website, and the guy at iStore Menlyn, my laptop 'may' qualify for a keyboard replacement. Most keys 'seem' fine normally but sometimes become sticky and so on. The one Key (Command of all buttons) has now come loose, the actual part that you press.

Question is, has anyone in Gauteng actually managed to get this 'free replacement' ? Or is it one of those things that the criteria is so hard to match that you end up paying for it anyway?

Its Macbook Pro 2017 15". Not under warrenty anymore, bought new at iStore 2.5 years ago.

I cant afford to send the laptop away for a week just to find out I need to pay it anyway, then I will have to rather just go with some 3rd party place to get it fixed.

They want to charge me R600 just for finding out if it will be replaced.

Any ideas would be highly appreciated!
Hi Albert

I'm wondering if you ever took this further and actually had to get your keyboard repaired?

I'm experiencing the same issues with my keyboard. I took my Mac in last week, paid the R600 assessment fee (to be refunded if they found my Mac was eligible for the keyboard service program). Some of the keys were replaced but I was told my Mac still wasn't eligible for the program (not sure why the keys had to replaced then?!) so I didn't get refunded. I checked the list of MacBooks eligible for this program on the Apple site and my model is one of them. I've had my laptop back for one day and am still experiencing the same issues, with some sticky keys and some keys repeating themselves. I'm at a loss now.. Apple doesn't seem to want to help AT ALL. I didn't pay what I did for this laptop to experience these issues and receive no support..

albert123

Expert Member
Company Rep
I am still trying to get the 'guts' to take it in for a week. problem is, they insist you should have a full backup, as they 'may need to wipe it' (to check the keyboard?), which is okay'ish. but also going without a laptop for a week, just for the assessment, that will cost me R600 just to find out like you 'oh sorrry tough luck, take us to court if you arent happy' is not a tempting solution for me. Cant find anywhere in Gauteng to book it in that wont send it away and force me to hope and pray I get it back in one piece without a huge bill. I've heard of people being told half the laptop needs to be replaced to get it sorted?

So no, for now I'm using a bluetooth keyboard and magic mouse to try and save my laptop keyboard a bit till I have a solution. Mine is also on 'the list' but the list seems irrelevant to any SA iStore despite all the promises when I bought it brand new from them.

If I could find a place that will check it 'today' and tell me if its elligible for the recall fix, I will happily book it in and pay an assessment fee.

albert123

Expert Member
Company Rep
My other problem is 'sticky keys' is something that comes and goes. sometimes buttons would stick, but like we all know if you go to the doctor your cough goes away, if you take your car to the mechanic that funny sound goes away till you drive away, so how do you proof your keyboard is a mess in 10 hours a day use as a developer?

Tim_vb

I am still trying to get the 'guts' to take it in for a week. problem is, they insist you should have a full backup, as they 'may need to wipe it' (to check the keyboard?), which is okay'ish. but also going without a laptop for a week, just for the assessment, that will cost me R600 just to find out like you 'oh sorrry tough luck, take us to court if you arent happy' is not a tempting solution for me. Cant find anywhere in Gauteng to book it in that wont send it away and force me to hope and pray I get it back in one piece without a huge bill. I've heard of people being told half the laptop needs to be replaced to get it sorted?

So no, for now I'm using a bluetooth keyboard and magic mouse to try and save my laptop keyboard a bit till I have a solution. Mine is also on 'the list' but the list seems irrelevant to any SA iStore despite all the promises when I bought it brand new from them.

If I could find a place that will check it 'today' and tell me if its elligible for the recall fix, I will happily book it in and pay an assessment fee.
They just replaced my macbook with a rebuild after 3/4 days hence the need to backup.

albert123

Expert Member
Company Rep
who are 'they', the iStore seems to not care that its on any recall list. I wont care for a rebuild just want to be able to type without wordssssss becoming like thisssss or buttons falling off :)

Tim_vb

who are 'they', the iStore seems to not care that its on any recall list. I wont care for a rebuild just want to be able to type without wordssssss becoming like thisssss or buttons falling off :)
iStore although I logged the keyboard issue with Apple before. Then later on the backlight malfunctioned and I just dropped it off for another replacement. They wont commit to anything upfront, they assess then replace

KCHOLWICH

Thanks for your reply. I feel your pain, I really can't think about taking my mac in AGAIN, and being without it for another 5 days, just to be told the same thing. I'm really shocked with this service. Apple SA don't seem interested in trying to help us.

My other problem is 'sticky keys' is something that comes and goes. sometimes buttons would stick, but like we all know if you go to the doctor your cough goes away, if you take your car to the mechanic that funny sound goes away till you drive away, so how do you proof your keyboard is a mess in 10 hours a day use as a developer?
I also experience keys that are sticky some of the time, and sometimes they'll be absolutely fine. It made me wonder how they actually assessed the keyboard. If you sit with this keyboard for 5 mins (which I'm sure they did), they keys will seem fine. Give it another 5 to 10 minutes and they'll be awful.

Also an update: After fighting a bit, I was told my mac is actually eligible for the program, and I should have been refunded the assessment fee. It was due to 'incorrect wording' that I wasn't refunded initially. It just keeps getting worse :')

Pho3nix

The Legend
Thanks for your reply. I feel your pain, I really can't think about taking my mac in AGAIN, and being without it for another 5 days, just to be told the same thing. I'm really shocked with this service. Apple SA don't seem interested in trying to help us.

I also experience keys that are sticky some of the time, and sometimes they'll be absolutely fine. It made me wonder how they actually assessed the keyboard. If you sit with this keyboard for 5 mins (which I'm sure they did), they keys will seem fine. Give it another 5 to 10 minutes and they'll be awful.

Also an update: After fighting a bit, I was told my mac is actually eligible for the program, and I should have been refunded the assessment fee. It was due to 'incorrect wording' that I wasn't refunded initially. It just keeps getting worse :')

So what was your outcome?

I've taken my MacBook to the iStore as it's been a on and off issue with the 2017 model.

Only just arrived at the service centre so I'll find out what the situation is.

I've been told it could take 7 business days so only expecting the machine back next Friday.