Replacing keyboard with the 'recall' of Macbook Pro

KCHOLWICH

So what was your outcome?

I've taken my MacBook to the iStore as it's been a on and off issue with the 2017 model.

Only just arrived at the service centre so I'll find out what the situation is.

I've been told it could take 7 business days so only expecting the machine back next Friday.
Can I ask which iStore you took it to?
After telling them my issue wasn’t resolved, they said I can book my lap top in again, which will take another 3-7 working days. They weren’t very apologetic at all about the fact that the first service didn’t work. As far as I can tell, it’s the same keys that are sticky or repeating themselves, so I’m not sure which keys they actually replaced.

I asked what would happen if I booked it in a second time and got the same results, and they couldn’t really answer me.

I’m meant to go into the store again to receive the refund I should have received when collecting my Mac, just haven’t had the time yet. When I do this I’m hoping to speak to someone who actually wants to help so I can escalate this issue. I can’t keep typing on this keyboard, it’s immensely frustrating.

Pho3nix

The Legend
Can I ask which iStore you took it to?
After telling them my issue wasn’t resolved, they said I can book my lap top in again, which will take another 3-7 working days. They weren’t very apologetic at all about the fact that the first service didn’t work. As far as I can tell, it’s the same keys that are sticky or repeating themselves, so I’m not sure which keys they actually replaced.

I asked what would happen if I booked it in a second time and got the same results, and they couldn’t really answer me.

I’m meant to go into the store again to receive the refund I should have received when collecting my Mac, just haven’t had the time yet. When I do this I’m hoping to speak to someone who actually wants to help so I can escalate this issue. I can’t keep typing on this keyboard, it’s immensely frustrating.

Took mine to the Clearwater iStore

chrisc

Executive Member
My 2017 MacBook was taken to Digicape for the keyboard fix. They determined that somehow, the butterfly mechanism on the "U" key had been forced, so I received an invoice for R3950

When it was handed in, their tech looked at it and agreed it was a warranty fault

I called them after and asked to speak to this same tech, and was told he does not take phone calls

albert123

Expert Member
Company Rep
Pho3nix please give update, I am planning on taking mine in also for the '7 days' but not very positive about the outcome of it. So will wait till I hear what came of yours. How old is yours? I bought mine beginning 2018 and was frowned upon that its 'older than 3 years' (by a few months).

Pho3nix

The Legend
Pho3nix please give update, I am planning on taking mine in also for the '7 days' but not very positive about the outcome of it. So will wait till I hear what came of yours. How old is yours? I bought mine beginning 2018 and was frowned upon that its 'older than 3 years' (by a few months).

It was bought originally in 2018. I bought it this year for a steal.

I have gotten a response so far that they've cleaned the laptop and would like to return it. I've told them that isn't good enough as if this problem reoccurs when I'm out of the Recall Warranty this will be for my account. I'm waiting for a response now

Pho3nix

The Legend

The recall is valid for 4 years. So 2017/2018 would still be okay

albert123

Expert Member
Company Rep
The tech at Woodlands also very quickly after typing on it agreed its 'that fault', but said is has to be sent in in order to be assessed. so no idea who decides the criteria of this fault and warrenty. where did you see the 4 years? So I can have my evidence ready about not being 3 years. Will probably take mine in next week sometime

Pho3nix

The Legend
The tech at Woodlands also very quickly after typing on it agreed its 'that fault', but said is has to be sent in in order to be assessed. so no idea who decides the criteria of this fault and warrenty. where did you see the 4 years? So I can have my evidence ready about not being 3 years. Will probably take mine in next week sometime

Right at the bottom it speaks to 4 years

albert123

Expert Member
Company Rep
thank you, yes that helps to have on hand next time he comes with 3 years. Please keep me posted when you get it back on what they did.

KCHOLWICH

Has anybody had a positive response? I took my lap top back in last week Friday. After complaining to the manager at the iStore the repair was meant to have been expedited but I only heard back again today (this was a longer waiting time than the first time I took it in). This was the response: "Kindly be advised that the MacBook Pro keyboard has been extensively tested by a senior technician, he is unable to replicate any keyboard issues."

I've asked how it was tested, as sometimes typing on the keyboard it'll be absolutely fine, but after a few minutes of typing the keys will be become sticky. Waiting for a response but feeling particularly frustrated.

albert123

Expert Member
Company Rep
Thats exactly why I havent taken mine in yet. how do you 'test' a keyboard. why not just replace it if someone sends it in for this known recall issue. nobody with a macbook pro can afford to go a week or two without it just for the joy of having another keyboard. we all use it 24/7. Must say its a big turnoff how this issue is handled. Not being able to take in the device to the actual workshop and having it 'done' while you are there is a big problem for me.

KCHOLWICH

Thats exactly why I havent taken mine in yet. how do you 'test' a keyboard. why not just replace it if someone sends it in for this known recall issue. nobody with a macbook pro can afford to go a week or two without it just for the joy of having another keyboard. we all use it 24/7. Must say its a big turnoff how this issue is handled. Not being able to take in the device to the actual workshop and having it 'done' while you are there is a big problem for me.
My thoughts exactly! They know it's an issue, so if a customer comes in complaining of this exact issue the keyboard should just be automatically replaced. This back-and-forth is exasperating. And I completely agree with you, Apple is not handling this issue properly at all.

Pho3nix

The Legend
You need to take it back twice. That's the scam.
Got the same feedback. Told to bring it back again if it does the same and then they'll organize the repair

KCHOLWICH

Such a waste of time! They don't seem to care at all that we actually need our lap tops for work. It's not as easy as they think being without them for 5 days.

albert123

Expert Member
Company Rep
exactly. and then the guy in store is like 'yeah well' as if everyone has a bunch of them at home lieing around. please let me know what your outcome is. I will have to make a plan to take mine in but need to prepare mentally that 'i will not fight' before taking it in. haha

KCHOLWICH

Yeap, their attitude is so nonchalant. Hahaha I'm trying my hardest not to fight! I'll keep you updated though

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
You should @Apple on twitter and complain about Core, the more complaints maybe they will do something about it.

KCHOLWICH

You should @Apple on twitter and complain about Core, the more complaints maybe they will do something about it.
Thank you for the suggestion, I think I will actually do that, have had enough of the lack of help.

Update: I received a phone call from the iStore manager who said the service centre still can't find any faults. He asked which keys in specific are experiencing problems, so I gave him a list. Next thing I receive an email saying my unit has passed quality control, so obviously they still couldn't find any faults and my lap top will arrive back soon without any changes. Yay.

KCHOLWICH

To anyone thinking about taking their mac in for this issue, I would suggest taking a video of you typing if you can. (A waste of our time, I know, trust me, but this seems to be the only way they'll actually believe we have an issue). They can't replicate the fault at the service centre (probably because they're not spending hours typing on our keyboards like we are) so video = proof.