Replacing keyboard with the 'recall' of Macbook Pro

albert123

Expert Member
Company Rep
let me know if that helps. My buttons are falling off by now, not sure if its part of the problem... if he cant even replicate that his side then I dont know really

KCHOLWICH

let me know if that helps. My buttons are falling off by now, not sure if its part of the problem... if he cant even replicate that his side then I dont know really
I sent a video in on Friday and only received a response today:

"Based on the video I would suggest we get the device back and replace the keyboard.
There is stock of these keyboards so we can expedite the repair. "

FINALLY. This process has been absolutely ridiculous. This will be the THIRD time I'm taking my laptop in for this issue. Utterly outrageous. And NO apology whatsoever.

But the video definitely helped, would definitely suggest doing this.

albert123

Expert Member
Company Rep
who did you send this video to? I am assuming they need to log on to laptop to test it, so did you create a seperate user for them? I am thinking of doing that with this video on the desktop so they cant miss it. So maybe that way get it done first time. Since they say they have stock and all :-D

albert123

Expert Member
Company Rep
Glad they finally agreed to replace yours though, at least there is that

KCHOLWICH

Glad they finally agreed to replace yours though, at least there is that
Thank you, me too! Such a relief.

I sent the video to talk2us@myistore.co.za, as I was already in contact with them. But I think if you send it there it should be fine, it's for general queries as far as I understand.

They created another user yes. I'm not sure if they have to do that themselves or if you can do it beforehand. But worth a try I guess. I think having the video ready before booking it in will definitely make the process go much quicker!

albert123

Expert Member
Company Rep
Thanks, will make some video and put it on the desktop and send to them, then book it in. Thanks for the feedback!

greg0205

Honorary Master
Right, gather around y'all, it's time for me to spread the gospel of DigiCape.

So, two weekends ago, after many a smug, 'aw, that's too bad' reading about other folks' keyboard issues that I *wasn't* having, my Mac revealed itself as Apple's 13" Karma Pro.

I called the iStore in Fourways because I had it in my head that they had a repair centre there, and I certainly wasn't up for dropping off my baby at an iStore and waiting on them to send it to Jet Park for assessment and repair, and then waiting on them to send it back to the store before I could get it back.

I was wrong. One Jet Park and three Hail Mary's penance.

So, I called DigiCape in Sandton.

24 to 48 hours for the assessment, which would include the replacement of the Karmic keys was much more my jam.

Dropped it off on the eighth, 'cos we had the keynote the evening before and I didn't want to miss it.

Call-back and mail from DigiCape's Dewald on the ninth...

They'd replaced the keys, but the problem persisted, so the entire top case would need to be replaced, but no worries, it was covered by Apple's quality program. They'd already ordered the top case and it would take 7 to 12 days to get to DigiCape... There was a discussion about picking up my baby while we waited out the seven to twelve, followed immediately by a drive to Sandton.

Two days later, on Friday, my phone rang, with the news that the top case had arrived. A quick chat revealed that their technicians were fully booked that day and we agreed I'd bring my baby back in on Monday.

Dropped it off Monday, had it back yesterday afternoon... protective stickers still on the Touch Bar and Thunderbolt ports.

If you're in Johannesburg, and you're having keyboard issues, and your Mac is covered by the quality program, and you can get to DigiCape in Sandton...

Just do it.

Dewald and his team are the absolute business.

Amen.

shadow_man

Executive Member
Right, gather around y'all, it's time for me to spread the gospel of DigiCape.

So, two weekends ago, after many a smug, 'aw, that's too bad' reading about other folks' keyboard issues that I *wasn't* having, my Mac revealed itself as Apple's 13" Karma Pro.

I called the iStore in Fourways because I had it in my head that they had a repair centre there, and I certainly wasn't up for dropping off my baby at an iStore and waiting on them to send it to Jet Park for assessment and repair, and then waiting on them to send it back to the store before I could get it back.

I was wrong. One Jet Park and three Hail Mary's penance.

So, I called DigiCape in Sandton.

24 to 48 hours for the assessment, which would include the replacement of the Karmic keys was much more my jam.

Dropped it off on the eighth, 'cos we had the keynote the evening before and I didn't want to miss it.

Call-back and mail from DigiCape's Dewald on the ninth...

They'd replaced the keys, but the problem persisted, so the entire top case would need to be replaced, but no worries, it was covered by Apple's quality program. They'd already ordered the top case and it would take 7 to 12 days to get to DigiCape... There was a discussion about picking up my baby while we waited out the seven to twelve, followed immediately by a drive to Sandton.

Two days later, on Friday, my phone rang, with the news that the top case had arrived. A quick chat revealed that their technicians were fully booked that day and we agreed I'd bring my baby back in on Monday.

Dropped it off Monday, had it back yesterday afternoon... protective stickers still on the Touch Bar and Thunderbolt ports.

If you're in Johannesburg, and you're having keyboard issues, and your Mac is covered by the quality program, and you can get to DigiCape in Sandton...

Just do it.

Dewald and his team are the absolute business.

Amen.

Did mine at DigiCape HQ in CPT - I'd also recommend over iStore. Relatively painless - although the annoying part is they clean it / hand it back the first time round --> replace on the 2nd time round...

greg0205

Honorary Master
Did mine at DigiCape HQ in CPT - I'd also recommend over iStore. Relatively painless - although the annoying part is they clean it / hand it back the first time round --> replace on the 2nd time round...
From the email Dewald sent me...

The technician has done the assessment and these were his findings:
Down Arrow Key does not work intermittently. We replaced the up and down arrow key as well as the left command key. The Down Arrow key still has an intermittent issue. We did also clean under the keycaps. We Conducted VMI and unit passed. Unit needs a replacement Top Case because replacing and cleaning keycaps does not resolve the issue.

The Johannesburg guys checked the whole list in that first 24 hours.

shadow_man

Executive Member
From the email Dewald sent me...

The Johannesburg guys checked the whole list in that first 24 hours.

You're lucky. I had to take it in --> they cleaned, did whatever --> said all fixed...

I then sat there - tested all the keys --> took a video of problematic key and made them book it back in for a full replacement.

Once done - all good. They're just very hesitant to replace (as I think Apple shat on them for the sheer number of keyboard replacements!).

albert123

Expert Member
Company Rep
thanks, this is priceless info. Will take a drive to sandton digicape then rather and hand it in there. I assume it doesnt matter if I bought from iStore and take it to digicape for this repair?

greg0205

Honorary Master
thanks, this is priceless info. Will take a drive to sandton digicape then rather and hand it in there. I assume it doesnt matter if I bought from iStore and take it to digicape for this repair?
Won't matter at all. They're an authorised repair centre.

Block 2, Commerce Square,
39 Rivonia Rd, Sandhurst

albert123

Expert Member
Company Rep
So some feedback for those with same issue, took the drive to Digicape in Sandton, handed laptop in, got a call next day that its been fixed, some buttons replaced. no charge as Apple has confirmed its still part of recall warranty (its now 3.5 years old already). Was sceptical about the 'repair' but was told if its still an issue Apple will probably replace entire keyboard. Took it home, been using it non stop since then, basically like a brand new keyboard since I got it back. Ticket is now logged so any issues in the next few months will be covered as well by Apple.

so yes, certainly a MUCH better experience and attitude as what iStore has had, can recommend DigiCape for any repairs to your macbook.

shifttymike

Thanks to all who came before me for the various accounts. I'd "booked a slot" with iStore Fourways but then figured there would probably be some feedback on MyBB. Will be taking it to Digicape Sandton instead.
My fear is that my keyboard (on my 2017 mbp) is currently working 100%. In 2018 it started acting up, but it wouldd come and go. Oh... never mind, look at that "wouldd" :)
Anyway, been using it with external keyboard almost exclusively so it's in relatively good shape. Easy target to be told "it passed QC, sorry we can't do anything"
I called Digicape and the lady on the phone said they could do it but it wouldn't really help. Why, I don't know. We'll see what they say when I bring it in.

shifttymike

Well I took it in on Thursday last week and received feedback today:
The unit has failed combined battery test, in order for the issue to be resolved the top case with battery will need to be replaced.
Along with this, a quote for R5k which includes the assessment fee. Kind of cheeky since I specifically took it in for the keyboard recall which wasn't supposed to cost me anything. Apparently they found no issues with the keys, which was what I was worried about - I've asked them to check again.
I suppose that if replacing the top case replaces the keyboard, R5k is not an absolute dealbreaker. I'd obviously just prefer that they replace it for free under recall (which expires in a month).

shadow_man

Executive Member
Anyone gone for a 2nd keyboard replacement?

When I hit SPACE a few times I get a . inserted. My keyboards clearly acting up, wonder if I'll get a 2nd replacement and if the program is still active?

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017)

Guess I need to phone DigiCape on Monday and see...

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Anyone gone for a 2nd keyboard replacement?

When I hit SPACE a few times I get a . inserted. My keyboards clearly acting up, wonder if I'll get a 2nd replacement and if the program is still active?

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017)

Guess I need to phone DigiCape on Monday and see...

That sounds like an assistive setting that’s enabled, not a hardware problem.

Like typing space twice on iOS to make a full stop.

shadow_man

Executive Member
That sounds like an assistive setting that’s enabled, not a hardware problem.

Like typing space twice on iOS to make a full stop.

You sir are a genius! Thank you!

No f'ing idea how that got enabled, but it's been causing chaos - especially when writing code :ROFL: