Replacing keyboard with the 'recall' of Macbook Pro

maxxis

Expert Member
That sounds like an assistive setting that’s enabled, not a hardware problem.

Like typing space twice on iOS to make a full stop.

That is what I thought on mine as well. It turned out to be hardware issue in the end and the top case was replaced on mine.

I did have to include screen recordings of the issue and push back multiple times to encourage the tech to keep testing until he found the issue.

iStore Eastgate.

shifttymike

Well I took it in on Thursday last week and received feedback today:

Along with this, a quote for R5k which includes the assessment fee. Kind of cheeky since I specifically took it in for the keyboard recall which wasn't supposed to cost me anything. Apparently they found no issues with the keys, which was what I was worried about - I've asked them to check again.
I suppose that if replacing the top case replaces the keyboard, R5k is not an absolute dealbreaker. I'd obviously just prefer that they replace it for free under recall (which expires in a month).
A month and 3 emails later and nothing from Digicape. I called them and apparently they weren’t getting my emails.
They’re standing their ground - it passed the keyboard test so there’s nothing they can do. I asked them nicely to test it again, so waiting to hear back from them. If they can’t confirm the (intermittent) fault then I’m R5k out of pocket to get it fixed despite the recall programme. :(
I offered to record the issue happening and they didn’t seem to care, keyboard test is what they show Apple when ordering the part. Pretty bleak about the whole thing tbh.

shifttymike

Laptop “passed” the second test after a week. They weren’t being very helpful but I suppose there wasn’t much they could do. Although they weren’t exactly apologetic either. Sad to not have had the kind of positive experience people have reported with Digicape.
I told them to go ahead with the battery replacement they quoted on because I’d really like my laptop back now and want this saga to be over. R5k for a “recall”. Thanks, Apple