Replacing till slips with digital receipts - Woolworths and Checkers respond

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member

Pick n Pay recently announced that it would launch a digital receipts service in an attempt to improve the shopping experience of its Smart Shopper customers.

The retailer said customers who opt in will receive their full receipt on their digital devices, and will only receive a small summary slip at check-out.

“We are always looking at ways we can reduce waste within our stores and help our customers lead easier lives by making their shopping experience quicker and more convenient,” said Pick n Pay retail marketing executive John Bradshaw.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Makro does it as well. Handy when searching for that elusive receipt when you need to make a warranty claim. Of course Makro insists on also printing a receipt because they need you to prove you didn't steal anything when you leave the store. :mad:

Couldn't care less about groceries though.

Apogee

Woolies unfortunately still run their systems on Windows 7, so they are not exactly leading the technology charge.

Herr der Verboten

Executive Member

Pick n Pay recently announced that it would launch a digital receipts service in an attempt to improve the shopping experience of its Smart Shopper customers.

The retailer said customers who opt in will receive their full receipt on their digital devices, and will only receive a small summary slip at check-out.

“We are always looking at ways we can reduce waste within our stores and help our customers lead easier lives by making their shopping experience quicker and more convenient,” said Pick n Pay retail marketing executive John Bradshaw.
If you don't have a smart phone?

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Woolies unfortunately still run their systems on Windows 7, so they are not exactly leading the technology charge.
Pretty sure they'd be on the extended security patches then. Probably a lot cheaper than upgrading the entire system.

I still find it strange so many PoS devices have such old looking UIs, I know most of the stuff was sold in the early 2000s and works well, but most companies would not want to pay the cost of that for an internal system.

Botha22

I hope with time you will be able to extract useful info via software e.g. prepare monthly or grocery list with prices extracted from the slips, analyse my till slips (the way FNB can analyse your transactions) to see how much money I have spent over the month on each product etc

tjma2001

Pretty sure they'd be on the extended security patches then. Probably a lot cheaper than upgrading the entire system.

I still find it strange so many PoS devices have such old looking UIs, I know most of the stuff was sold in the early 2000s and works well, but most companies would not want to pay the cost of that for an internal system.
Its called POS for a reason

MightyQuin

Not amused...
Makro does it as well. Handy when searching for that elusive receipt when you need to make a warranty claim. Of course Makro insists on also printing a receipt because they need you to prove you didn't steal anything when you leave the store. :mad:

Couldn't care less about groceries though.
You don't need a receipt at Makro for a warranty claim. All your purchases are stored in a DB that's linked to your Markr Card/Number.

From my personal experience at 2 different Makro in CT.

Herr der Verboten

Executive Member
I hope with time you will be able to extract useful info via software e.g. prepare monthly or grocery list with prices extracted from the slips, analyse my till slips (the way FNB can analyse your transactions) to see how much money I have spent over the month on each product etc
Already been done on pos level for shops with the knowhow/software. Well, the systems not run by dinosaurs.

You know that information you are already passing on as you shop being gathered, analyzed an sold back to participating stores.

Hell, you might be surprised who knows what about you where based on 'pos scraping' and even ai number plate reading.

RedViking

Nord of the South
They just want your contact info so they can sell your data and send you spam.

They can print the slips, thank you.

mercurial

MyBB Legend

You think that's bad? Have you seen what pharmacies use? :sick:

aktiv

Exactly what RedViking say

They just want your contact details

Bought an item at Computer Mania Tyger Valley
Wanted my email to send receipt - I declined and ask for printed copy - was told can't do printed version

I ranted about being a computer shop and no printer !

Anyway gave them a throwaway/old email for the warranty
True to form - got 3 spam emails from them in first week

They will never get another sale from me again