Reposting private PM/EMAIL and posting of personal information - Ban warning

Status
Not open for further replies.

antowan

Honorary Master
Hi guys! Some folks see it fit to repost without permission some private communication done via email or PM when it suits them. This is not how email or PM's work. If any person repost PM or email content without permission and somebody points it out, the person who posted it can expect a 1 day ban from me! Private communication is PRIVATE!

Thanks
Antowan

<added>
Does this rule apply to only posting the EXACT contents of the PM (i.e. copy n paste) or would it also hold if 'one' paraphrases the contents of a PM?
Both, do not publicly post anything that anyone else has written in a private message, also the permission clause is revoked, i.e. only the original author of something written in a private message is allowed to publicly post what they personally have written, and anything that anyone else has written [e.g. p.m. quote blocks] must first be deleted prior to the original author posting what they have personally written, that means that only the original author may grant them self permission to publicly post what they have written in a private message.
</added>

Last edited by a moderator:

munwaal

antowan said:
Hi guys! Some folks see it fit to repost without permission some private communication done via email or PM when it suits them. This is not how email or PM's work. If any person repost PM or email content without permission and somebody points it out, the person who posted it can expect a 1 day ban from me! Private communication is PRIVATE!

Thanks
Antowan

a WHOLE day?!

Vio

Expert Member
antowan said:

Thanks
Antowan
lol, its private only as long as the reciever of the information wishes to keep it that way, unless the sender stuck in some disclaimer/request I don't see whats wrong with quoting a pm.

antowan

Honorary Master
No ajak is not banned but next time anybody does that it will result in a ban. :)

This should not be big issue. Just please ask the sender if you can repost the PM or email content. It is simply good practice.

:)

Vio

Expert Member
Well, If someone sends me and agressive pm I feel it is within my right to expose that persons attitude if need be.

Vio

Expert Member
antowan said:
No ajak is not banned but next time anybody does that it will result in a ban. :)

This should not be big issue. Just please ask the sender if you can repost the PM or email content. It is simply good practice.

:)
So he pm's me "up yours you suck" I ask him "can i post this" he saiz "no" I go ahead and post :D

Vio

Expert Member
Lol fine; I just like the option of taking the "law" into my own hands instead of running to the "police" ;)

So, where do you stand when someone else quotes someone else's pm: e.g. pm recieved -> pasted in irc -> some one else quotes wihtout knowing.

ajak

Expert Member
personal?

antowan said:

Thanks
Antowan
So anyone can launch a personal attack on anyone they please, and nobody can read it, I think that if you send me e-mail that mail belongs to me and I can use it as I see fit, correct me if I’m wrong. The forums are open. But a pm becomes personal (as in MY property) if such an email is perceived by the recipient to warrant action on his or her part, action in my opinion must be taken. What you are now propagating is that if you send me mail(and you insult my race etc)I need your permission to go to the cops, those days are gone where the dislike of a person can result in punishment,(as in this case) your threat to punish, those that you think do not obey your instructions for a day is in my opinion the first step to a autocratic management of myadsl,if you however want to ban me from myadsl YOU apparently have the POWER to do so. But please post it.

ajak

Expert Member
ic said:
For the record this is the p.m. that I sent ajak, that ajak did not ask my permission to publish on the forum - not just posted by ajak once, but a second time this morning - all that was required was for ajak to ask my permission to post the contents of my p.m., or ask me to post the message, which ajak has still not requested.If a p.m. is quoted/posted on this forum without prior consent from the sender, then report it as a bad post, and the moderators will then deal with it. If it is pasted into irc, then take it up with ops for the specific irc channel.
if a e-mail gets send to me,and the sender has nothing to hide,i`m not shy,what you send me make it public.That all can read it,and not post links to outher site`s.

kingmonty

Expert Member
*sigh* ajak: I don't see how it (the PM in question) was a personal attack on you, nor do I see the relevance to this forum of you trying to argue about it.

ajak

Expert Member
kingmonty said:
*sigh* ajak: I don't see how it (the PM in question) was a personal attack on you, nor do I see the relevance to this forum of you trying to argue about it.
My friend I’m not argueing, what riles me is the tone and the instruction to me that I must not post a link, that’s what` it’s all about. I browsed the gaming threads and links aplenty, but they don’t get warnings. Do they? And what in gods name has gaming to do with myadsl,if myadsl is soly adsl so be it, BAN EVERYTHING ELS

Vio

Expert Member
I don't want to be dificult but I'm heavily against this, I can understand if a post is moderated because the material is sensitive, but what you guys are trying to say is the equivelent of that any email a person recieves remains the property of the sender and I believe its quite difrent in practise anything recieved becomes your property unless the sender requests that it not be made public. Oh and ontop of that instead of just moderating you want to ban, wich is over kill.

Emjay

Expert Member
I do not understand why you are making a fuss over this Vio. antowan has made a simple request and if you choose to ignore the request you will get a 24 hour ban (IMO this is light punishment). I am sure you will not be pleased if you saw your PMs posted for everyone to see.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
All the administration is saying is if you want to quote a pm then ask - simple really. This isnt a democracy regardless of what anyone thinks. When you join you agree to be bound by the terms and conditions - plain and simple - if you dont like it then dont post. Its not a difficult concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.