Reposting private PM/EMAIL and posting of personal information - Ban warning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vio

Expert Member
MaryJane said:
I do not understand why you are making a fuss over this Vio. antowan has made a simple request and if you choose to ignore the request you will get a 24 hour ban (IMO this is light punishment). I am sure you will not be pleased if you saw your PMs posted for everyone to see.
I'm just trying to understand the valid justification for this "new rule", with its "not so harsh" ban punishment. I'm also debating whether or not it’s a good idea, personally these types of things should just be moderated IMO. Banning because you post someone else's words IS overkill.

I'm not making a fuss about it. I am just disagreeing with the concept and asking for clarification for the need, especialy for such harsh punishment.

If the "staff" just wanted to tell us something finish and klaar and not want debate on it then they should put it in a locked thread under announcements where it will not be open for debate. But as it is it is sitting under Forum suggestions and gripes, which I can say is hardly the place to go put an official "rule".

Just looking at posts like these over the last 2-4 months it has become my concern that there are certain individuals who are trying to "drive" for a more autocratically controled enviroment instead of the free MyADSL environment and effectively lock out posts from people they don't like/disagree with by labeling them as "stirrers" or "trolls". As such I’ve kind of made it my personal mission to question any additional form of control and ask the questions "is this really necessary?" or "isn't this over kill?". Now this might not have much to do with "stirrers" and "trolls", but a law like this will probably be used either to ban them or to silence them. In short I’m playing the devils advocate. Maybe my efort is misplaced, but that's the way I feel about this. :)

Vio

Expert Member
bwana v.4 said:
All the administration is saying is if you want to quote a pm then ask - simple really. This isnt a democracy regardless of what anyone thinks. When you join you agree to be bound by the terms and conditions - plain and simple - if you dont like it then dont post. Its not a difficult concept.
And its not excactly in the terms and conditions is it? I've read it.

antowan

Honorary Master
There is a difference between some joke and private communication. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to distinguish between private and not so private. If somebody tells you his real name for instance, he obviously had a good reason to send it via PM and not post it on the forum. You DO NOT have the right (without asking) to repost that information.

This is just one example. There should be no debate about this. A joke can naturally be reposted seeing as it is public domain anyway. Reposting the joke would be no problem, but some things belong in the private domain and other public. Differentiating between the two is a life skill we all should master...

One thing you can be very sure will get you a temporary ban, is to repost mod PM's directed to you in private, in the public forum... No questions asked! A temporary ban will be coming your way from now on.

:)

I am sure this is not a difficult issue to understand VIO. I am not trying to be vindictive at all. But the word "private" does have meaning...

RolandD

Moderated to death

I have to agree strongly with vio and ajak, the concept of a private message does not imply that any information sent miraculously becomes privileged (not without the concent of both parties anyway, never). Intellectual property......bla bla bla…why don't you apply for a patent ?

Sounds like nothing more than a typical moderator power trip to me. Have been a few too many of them lately.

JStrike

Honorary Master
RolandD : "Intellectual property......bla bla bla…why don't you apply for a patent ? "

Real constructive that. Do you not understand the concept of Intellectual Property rights?

slimothy

Banned
well i'll just post ANY correspondence i get from ANY moderator now, just to piss you off,

slimothy

Banned
Ryder_JHB said:
This place is starting to remind me of the Jerry Springer show...
I know that might have seemed like a clever diss when you thought of it, but you just admitted to watching the jerry springer show

Ryder_JHB

Expert Member
slimothy said:
I know that might have seemed like a clever diss when you thought of it, but you just admitted to watching the jerry springer show
U got me Slimothy... I stay up all night watching re-runs while I comb my mullet :D

Vio

Expert Member
antowan said:
One thing you can be very sure will get you a temporary ban, is to repost mod PM's directed to you in private, in the public forum... No questions asked! A temporary ban will be coming your way from now on.

:)

I am sure this is not a difficult issue to understand VIO. I am not trying to be vindictive at all. But the word "private" does have meaning...
True a day for quoting a mod pm does not seem so bad as these types of comunication are usualy profesional and "priviladged" information.

LandyMan

Executive Member
Ryder_JHB said:
U got me Slimothy... I stay up all night watching re-runs while I comb my mullet :D
BWAHAHAHAHA ... sad state of affairs bud!:D

MaD

Expert Member
It looks as if quite a few people are taking MyADSL for granted and think they can do anything on it. Not so. Abide by the rules, or piss off.

Vio

Expert Member
ic said:
private messages are just that - private.Perhaps an explicit rule needs to be added to the Terms & Conditions, but it does not remove the word "Private" from "Private Message", which makes it an implicit rule that a p.m. is still private unless consent is requested by the recipient(s) and granted by the sender, to publically post/publish.

Everyone has the right to privacy in the confines of a private environment, which is where private messages are - in the confines of a private environment.
All and fair I agree that there needs to be some rules about pm's if they being abused. All I'm disagree with is the severity of the punishment of 1 day. Personaly a moderation and a warning followed by a 1 day if continuously violated seems more sensable. Not every one reads t/c.

ic said:
If one of the moderators is asked to intervene due to malicious abuse of the private messaging system, then you will not find the moderator going and publically posting the contents of the alleged malicious private message, having said that, moderators do not have access to anyone's private messages except their own, and AFAIK an administrator of the vBulletin system, i.e. rpm, also does not have access to anyone's private messages. It is a system designed to protect privacy.
So what that means is if someone sends me a "@#$@#$$ you die beech haha" message that even if I complain to a mod about it there is no way to prove it... :/ Meaning that with this new rule if any one quotes a pm theres no way to prove it either, Its a bit of a concern.

But as I said if anything needs to be layed down in stone: Anouncements/locked thread/updated t/c. Here under under offtopic everything is up for debate :D

Vio

Expert Member
MaD said:
It looks as if quite a few people are taking MyADSL for granted and think they can do anything on it. Not so. Abide by the rules, or piss off.
We not breaking rules are we? We discussing them. :)

MaD

Expert Member
Vio said:
We not breaking rules are we? We discussing them. :)
I was meaning the ones who break them. And what is the point of banging on and on and on and on about something? MyADSL is not a site for a few individuals to come and throw tantrums at it's a site where we can all get together and chat NORMALLY about things.

There are a handful of people who are making this site VERY unpleasant, so much so that I can say with certainty that they are driving people away from this site.

It's not up to them to ruin the myadsl experience for others. If I could ban, I would have a long time ago. Not being unfair, just being fair to MyADSL. Courteousness and respect costs nothing, and the handful of people show none of that to anyone, so they should get lost and go bring down some other forum's name, not this one.

rsd

if such an email is perceived by the recipient to warrant action on his or her part, action in my opinion must be taken. What you are now propagating is that if you send me mail(and you insult my race etc)I need your permission to go to the cops,
The point is if a PM is offensive or *insert random whine here* you should take it to the Moderators / RPM.

If someone sent you an email insulting your race etc, would you run around in the street, rounding up a mob for some good old vigilante justice? I suspect you would, but the correct course of action would be to take the matter to the cops.

Not that comparing moderators to the police is a great analogy, but they do police the forums and try to keep the idiots in check. (And I'm not calling you an idiot, please don't get all excited)

Emjay

Executive Member
MaD said:
I agree with MaD whole heartedly. All this moaning and whining about the way the forum is dealt with is distracting us from the real cause why the majority of us are here. If you don’t like it, then leave. I participate in MyADSL because of its professionalism and a few individuals are causing harm and adding no value whatsoever.

If you want to criticize, then at least let it be about something constructive.

Status
Not open for further replies.