Requesting a manufacturer replace/take back a "lemon" car - Is it a thing?

acidrain

Expert Member
Hi guys,

Topic might be a bit vague but it's the best way I can describe it.

Long story short, got my car about 2.5 years ago straight out the factory and since then, there always seems to be something going wrong with it which shouldn't happen to a car of this age ( in my opinion ). Also to compare, my brother in law has the exact same car and has not once had to send it in for a warranty repair.

Since purchase, and up until now, the following has failed ( pretty much in order ):
1. Radiator bottle in its first month ( bit of a meh issue but an issue non the less )
2. Battery failed after 8 months.
3. Clutch Master cylinder packed up
4. Timing chain and tensioner packed up
5. Clutch slave cylinder packed up.

The car is, and has, been covered by the warranty for all of this so my issue here is not really that stuff breaks. Even the inconvenience isn't much of an issue to me. The issue I have is it seems I may have drawn the unlucky straw and received a "lemon" car so to speak. My concern are these issues may continue even after the warranty period leaving me with an endless money hole which brings me to my actual question, is it possible to request a replacement vehicle, or tell them to take the car back ( and go buy a different car ) on the basis that the current one just wasn't properly manufactured and if so, at what point would that be?

Cheers

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Most likely they will refuse, and most likely the Motor Industry Ombudsman will agree with them.
Personally I never buy cars new for this very reason.
But that's just my own preference, would rather buy a tried and tested car (and yes, you can still get lemons then).

acidrain

Expert Member
Most likely they will refuse, and most likely the Motor Industry Ombudsman will agree with them.
Personally I never buy cars new for this very reason.
But that's just my own preference, would rather buy a tried and tested car (and yes, you can still get lemons then).
Ok so there's likely no legal precedent on the matter. Hopefully by the time the warranty runs out the whole car would have been replaced already :laugh:

Sounds like a Renault.
Haha, one would think so but alas it's not.

acidrain

Expert Member
Yeah, the car is really fantastic, just sucks I happened to end up with the lemon and you know you got a lemon when you and the service adviser are on a first name basis. C'est la vie I guess

Sensorei

Expert Member
The clutch, battery and timing chain have no impact on the reliability of each other. You are just having bad luck. It has nothing to do with the car being a 'lemon'.

thechamp

Honorary Master
Easy, suppose all those components were picked from the lemon bin the first time, what are the chances of them being picked from the same lemon bin again? These things happen and it seems you are mostly having mechanical issues, it could have been worse if your car's ECU keeps on failing, electronics issues are what makes a car a lemon in opinion.

acidrain

Expert Member
The clutch, battery and timing chain have no impact on the reliability of each other. You are just having bad luck. It has nothing to do with the car being a 'lemon'.
More so bad luck yes. Essentially that is my definition of a lemon... constant problem, separate or same. In technical automobile terms as I just read up now, one would call it a friday afternoon/monday morning car and not a lemon.

These things happen and it seems you are mostly having mechanical issues, it could have been worse if your car's ECU keeps on failing, electronics issues are what makes a car a lemon in opinion.
Actually in the beginning it did have electronic issues and eventually it was diagnosed that the battery was to blame, even though they tested it and found nothing wrong. Tbh I'm not at all fussed with things failing as long as the warranty covers it however the inconvenience it causes is more the issue and wanted to see if there was some precedent set where at a certain point it is acceptable to just hand the car back and say enough is enough.

To give you an idea of the inconvenience, the timing chain issue is a prime example: Started the car one morning and the engine sounded like it had suddenly been converted to a diesel. Took it to reeds where they started it up and no noise. Throughout the whole day that it was with them, driving it up, down and around there was no noise. Collected car and 2 days later noise came back. Again took it to them and again no noise when it was with them. On the 3rd visit to them they finally heard the noise and then it took them another 11 days to diagnose it and 2 days to repair because they had never encountered that problem up until that point.

Anyways got the answer I was looking for from the thread.

I drive a 2017 Opel Astra 1.0 T with just over 30000 km on the clock. Firstly the annoying rattles from the interior and creaks from the body panels make me drive with the volume on high. The car felt solid when new but it’s build quality now leaves a lot to be desired.Secondly my car now has a blown turbo and I have to wait for a replacement part while my car remains idle. So much for a vehicle that was bought due to good reviews and winning SA Car of the Year!

Craig

Executive Member
Shoulda bought a French car.
I will deny saying this tomorrow but you may just be right. I myself would never buy a french car, but I have been admiring them a lot over the last few months. The new megane and kadjar looks cool. And there seems to be less complaints from them then from cars like audi's and fords, or opel in this case.

rietrot

Honorary Master
I drive a 2017 Opel Astra 1.0 T with just over 30000 km on the clock. Firstly the annoying rattles from the interior and creaks from the body panels make me drive with the volume on high. The car felt solid when new but it’s build quality now leaves a lot to be desired.Secondly my car now has a blown turbo and I have to wait for a replacement part while my car remains idle. So much for a vehicle that was bought due to good reviews and winning SA Car of the Year!
Sometimes it's the operator. People mistakenly think these small engin turbo cars are sports cars.