Research shows Netflix, Disney+, and Showmax will dominate in Africa - driven by South Africa and Nigeria

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member

eg2505

Honorary Master
unless they have a very small bouquet of titles and hide many things for "reasons"

friedpiggy

Expert Member
Considering the Showmax app on my Hisense smart tv is absolutely horrible, I am not surprised that Netflix dominates. The Showmax app is frikken slow, has been broken multiple times where it is impossible to watch anything (the latest one was it getting stuck on launch asking you to choose between Polish and English but not being able to select either option) And the Genre selection thing was filled out by a toddler with dementia, forget alphabetical order or any other order. The interface is also clunky when trying to fast forward or rewind.

JohnStarr

Executive Member
Not sure why Showmax unless it's for local stuff. For the rest it has nothing!
Netflix and the Disney+ version with ESPN thanks! And Britbox.

GreGorGy

BULLSFAN
Considering the Showmax app on my Hisense smart tv is absolutely horrible, I am not surprised that Netflix dominates. The Showmax app is frikken slow, has been broken multiple times where it is impossible to watch anything (the latest one was it getting stuck on launch asking you to choose between Polish and English but not being able to select either option) And the Genre selection thing was filled out by a toddler with dementia, forget alphabetical order or any other order. The interface is also clunky when trying to fast forward or rewind.

On my appletv, it drops the sound signal quite often as well causing the soundbar to briefly sleep. Very annoying.

As a result, I get a showmax voucher every few months to see if there is anything I can catch up. Just did it now for Avenue 5.

I wonder if BritBox is any good. I see they have that bucket woman!

krycor

Honorary Master
Not sure why Showmax unless it's for local stuff. For the rest it has nothing!

HBO + other things for kids mostly though Netflix sorts that lately and Disney+ will kill that next year.

So HBO shows till they open up shop. Amazon has similar limited appeal..

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
If you're going to spend $7.99 for Disney and $6.99 for ESPN they you might as well get the bundle which includes Hulu, which if you enjoy series is the best one to have anyway, for $1 less.

At that point I don't see the point of Britbox since you'll also have access to all UK broadcast programming gratis.

JohnStarr

Executive Member
If you're going to spend $7.99 for Disney and $6.99 for ESPN they you might as well get the bundle which includes Hulu, which if you enjoy series is the best one to have anyway, for $1 less.

At that point I don't see the point of Britbox since you'll also have access to all UK broadcast programming gratis.
Oh right, I didn't know that. Makes sense to do so when it arrives!

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Oh right, I didn't know that. Makes sense to do so when it arrives!
Arrives? The only ESPN content SA likely to see will be via SABC. If you want a Disney/Hulu/ESPN bundle you'll need to get that from the US.

JohnStarr

Executive Member
Arrives? The only ESPN content SA likely to see will be via SABC. If you want a Disney/Hulu/ESPN bundle you'll need to get that from the US.
We will see. Still hoping it's all bundled. I don't even have an aerial plugged into my TV as we only stream or watch Blu-Rays.

Creag

The Boar's Rock
If the resultant maelstrom of streaming gives up some sport, all the better.

Nurple Derple

Honorary Master
Soon DSTV will only have HBO, NBC, Discovery, Nollywood, local made content and domestic sports.