Residents fume as 'dangerous' Cape Town rock art destroyed

schumi

Honorary Master
A spontaneous outcrop of rock sculptures in Kalk Bay has been demolished by the City of Cape Town due to concerns about public safety.

The eye-catching rock stacks - sometimes referred to as menhirs - adjoining the popular Dalebrook tidal pool had been steadily growing in number during lockdown, courtesy of local residents and occasional visitors.

However, they were toppled over on Monday morning, reportedly by city staff working in the area.
More at : https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/so...me-as-dangerous-cape-town-rock-art-destroyed/

Paul_S

Expert Member
Firstly how is that considered art and secondly it is a danger. If a small child bumped one of the stacks and a 30kg rock came smashing down on a limb or even worse a head then I don't think you have a say in the matter especially considering it's a public area.

rietrot

Honorary Master
Firstly how is that considered art and secondly it is a danger. If a small child bumped one of the stacks and a 30kg rock came smashing down on a limb or even worse a head then I don't think you have a say in the matter especially considering it's a public area.
1. because it's nicely stacked/balanced on top of each order.

2. Don't blame a failure of parenting on some innocent rocks.

The Free Radical

And when one of these so-called art works which looks like the work of 4 year olds sandpit game falls on some inquisitive child ? What then? Who's going to held to account?

Last edited:

xeslaro

Executive Member
Fuming, angry, outrage, backlash.

Hardly a day goes by without seeing these words in a headline somewhere.
Manufacturing sensation. Web media's continuing survival is dependant, foremost, on luring traffic. Sadly, borne out of necessity baited headlines are in vogue.

FaSMaN

Expert Member
Menhirs are suppose to be a non destructive, non-permanent structure , if its toppled its normal -_-

Last edited:

konfab

Honorary Master
They are not menhirs. A menhir is a single standing stone.