Resign with immediate effect?

PotatoGuardian

Wondering if anyone has done this in a probation period and if the company pursued any action against you.

Yes I know it's bad form and looks bad etc. etc.

There is a very good reason I need to

Craig

Honorary Master
Explain to them and try to not leave on bad terms. You obviously received another offer? A beter one?

PotatoGuardian

Explain to them and try to not leave on bad terms. You obviously received another offer? A beter one?
I don’t want to give much info but it’s looking likely I’ll get the offer yeah but if I do they need someone to start ASAP. The opportunity is kinda too big to pass up

Calkem

It will all depend on your contract at the end of the day, you should look at that first on what it says. If it says nothing its likely that you would have to give notice, unless if they is compelling reasons for you resigning immediatly. Say for example the workplace is unsafe

Eitheir way it is best to give notice or discuss with them the reason you resigning immediatly

PotatoGuardian

I've always found the best employers are reasonable and willing to wait two months, never mind two weeks.
I guess that’s fair. It’s just such a good opportunity there is a mild panic I may get sidelined if they find someone they also like but can start sooner.
I don’t think it’s because they are meaning to be unreasonable there just is a real need

|tera|

Master of Messengers
I guess that’s fair. It’s just such a good opportunity there is a mild panic I may get sidelined if they find someone they also like but can start sooner.
I don’t think it’s because they are meaning to be unreasonable there just is a real need
If they need you so bad, they would be willing to wait 2 weeks, which is what the Labour Law states it is.
Just being honest here :)

PotatoGuardian

If they need you so bad, they would be willing to wait 2 weeks, which is what the Labour Law states it is.
Just being honest here :)
I mean I know it’s contractual. Was just trying to see if anyone has been held to it.

seems like everyone here are model citizens do not a scumbag like me:X3:

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
OK I did it once.. in 2012...
BUT, the company I was at, was a douchebag company... I hadn't received any contract.
I just upped and left the one day... a week later the recruiter who placed me there came shouting at me (obviously because of her commission).

After they harassed me a bit I wrote them a long email and that was the end of it. I claimed the place was unsafe and the co-worker was farting all the time and making me inhale it

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
surely when you applied/were approached you made it known you have a calendar month etc notice period?

Edit: I notice it is your probation, check your contract notice should be like a week or two.

Last edited:

|tera|

Master of Messengers
I mean I know it’s contractual. Was just trying to see if anyone has been held to it.

seems like everyone here are model citizens do not a scumbag like me:X3:
I am not trying to discourage you.
Work is tough to find these days. Better opportunities even rarer.
I wish you the best and that the best will come out of this. :)

diapason

Expert Member
Just tell your new employer that if you are not prepared to mess around your old employer, they know that you won't mess them around.

AlmightyBender

Expert Member
Fsuk them, the company wouldn't give two poops to get rid of you immediately in a probation period if they realised you weren't a good fit.

That is the whole point of that time, for both parties to decide if the fit is good. If it isn't either is entitled to walk away.

You owe them nothing. Seize the opportunity dude, your future and wellbeing always come before that of any company.

ponder

Honorary Master
What does your contract say?