Resign with immediate effect?

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
I’m sorry that happened to you. I can relate. A co-worker farted behind me last week. Some keeping a heating fish in the microwave too
Its all good, all good (and funny) life experiences.
I've worked in a place, not so long ago, where people would heat their leftovers. I am sorry but that stuff smelt just like the vomit of my cat

RedViking

Nord of the South
I guess that’s fair. It’s just such a good opportunity there is a mild panic I may get sidelined if they find someone they also like but can start sooner.
I don’t think it’s because they are meaning to be unreasonable there just is a real need
Then they don't really want or need you. If they base their decision on a short waiting period your experience and qualifications means nothing to them.

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
Then they don't really want or need you. If they base their decision on a short waiting period your experience and qualifications means nothing to them.
I've been caught like this before.
A lack of willingness to wait, or a serious urgency with "take it or leave it" isn't a good sign.
I went and worked for an outfit who "couldn't wait". I left the other job with short notice which meant they now cannot be used as a reference because I made them angry by leaving on short notice.
Guess what... the new company was a friggen sweatshop. That's why they wanted me quickly... to work long hours and slave away like a slave in a shoe factory. I asked for one day of leave to see the Dr to get a repeat script of my meds... they gave me endless drama just for that one friggen day.
Within 2 weeks I was looking for yet another job...

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Or they may have a difficult decision to make on a couple of candidates and the one who can start immediately swings it.

eg2505

Honorary Master
I've been caught like this before.
A lack of willingness to wait, or a serious urgency with "take it or leave it" isn't a good sign.
I went and worked for an outfit who "couldn't wait". I left the other job with short notice which meant they now cannot be used as a reference because I made them angry by leaving on short notice.
Guess what... the new company was a friggen sweatshop. That's why they wanted me quickly... to work long hours and slave away like a slave in a shoe factory. I asked for one day of leave to see the Dr to get a repeat script of my meds... they gave me endless drama just for that one friggen day.
Within 2 weeks I was looking for yet another job...
at least you didn't meet the nazi skinheads like I did.

one thing you never quite ever know with recruiters and where they place you.

eg2505

Honorary Master
at least you didn't meet the nazi skinheads like I did.

one thing you never quite ever know with recruiters and where they place you.
I even mentioned it when it happened.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Or they may have a difficult decision to make on a couple of candidates and the one who can start immediately swings it.
I think it is more of a case that OP is desperate to leave where he/she is now and willing to do anything to do it.

Sepeng

Expert Member
To look at it from another angle - why the desperation from this company? Did a bunch of people leave at the same time? Did someone do what you're planning on doing - up and left? Why wasn't there sufficient planning on their side to cater for these things? Or are they expanding so quickly they need the extra resources? What's it like for the people currently working there then?
As an aside, if I'm the one doing the hiring, I don't know if I want the guy that can just leave their job like that - who's to say they won't just do it again to me?

Personally, I rarely make a decision when pressured to like that, especially for something this big. Oh you've got 5 other people wanting this house you say? No problemo, they're welcome to it. This car is the last one available? There's plenty other cars mate. Only you know the whole story but don't let someone else make all the rules - be open about what you're prepared to do.

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
To look at it from another angle - why the desperation from this company? Did a bunch of people leave at the same time? Did someone do what you're planning on doing - up and left? Why wasn't there sufficient planning on their side to cater for these things? Or are they expanding so quickly they need the extra resources? What's it like for the people currently working there then?
As an aside, if I'm the one doing the hiring, I don't know if I want the guy that can just leave their job like that - who's to say they won't just do it again to me?

Personally, I rarely make a decision when pressured to like that, especially for something this big. Oh you've got 5 other people wanting this house you say? No problemo, they're welcome to it. This car is the last one available? There's plenty other cars mate. Only you know the whole story but don't let someone else make all the rules - be open about what you're prepared to do.
from what i gather OP has been made a good offer. which is good and well now, but not so good and well on his CV in 3 years time or when references are checked.

PsYTraNc3

Expert Member
Fsuk them, the company wouldn't give two poops to get rid of you immediately in a probation period if they realised you weren't a good fit.

That is the whole point of that time, for both parties to decide if the fit is good. If it isn't either is entitled to walk away.

You owe them nothing. Seize the opportunity dude, your future and wellbeing always come before that of any company.
Not all companies are like that though...

Where I'm at now and at the previous place, I've seen probation periods extended for 6+ months to give the person a fair chance.

Last year, someone resigned after 1 week of training and getting set up because he got an offer from a different place.
He left a few days later with no recourse.

SAguy

Expert Member
surely when you applied/were approached you made it known you have a calendar month etc notice period?

Edit: I notice it is your probation, check your contract notice should be like a week or two.
I hate that term in contracts, it's ambiguous and often leads to confusion when people resign.

acidrain

Expert Member
Nothing really stops you from just up and leaving. The company cannot withhold any monies either through salary / leave pay etc in lieu of the notice.

The only way they can make you pay for not giving notice is by taking you to court. Here they will need to weigh up the costs because the company will have to prove they suffered damages from you leaving without notice. Very rare that there is a case so employers just leave it but it's an option if you willing to risk it.

As an employer myself, I get a lot of this and all I can say is just be careful what bridges you burn.

The nice way of going about it is saying you intend to leave without notice and agree to pay them the notice period, in accordance with the BCEA, either through monies owed or leave accrued. As much as they may not like it, they will, or at least should, respect you for your honesty and that goes a long way in my books.

PotatoGuardian

Appreciate all the replies and view points. Trying to be as vague as possible just in case.

I mean I’ve been burnt by companies before so I no longer feel bad about just leaving because even in places where they said we look after our people etc etc things can change in an instant and they won’t feel anything letting you go.

So I do have context into this next company because someone I know really well works there. There is nothing bad about why they want to hire quickly. They just grew a bit in the last few months. As someone else mentioned previously it isn’t that they wouldn’t be willing to wait for me they might need to make quick choice.

Anyhow it’s a mix of this being a really good opportunity balanced against current place that is terrible. Like “urgent” messages at all hours all times that really isn’t that urgent (that’s just one aspect don’t want to divulge any more).

So partially it’s a panic of wanting this awesome job and wanting to leave the meh one.

I know leaving a job like that is bad form and can follow me elsewhere so I was just looking for opinions.

Bobbin

Executive Member
If you're still in probation I doubt you're offering much value to your current employer already anyway. You're probably still learning the ins and outs? Perhaps they would be okay with it, though it sucks for them now having to go through recruiting again. Maybe they will just give their 2nd choice a ring and let you go.