Resign with immediate effect?

Freddl

It can also mean a period of 4 weeks ... so from the 14th of one month to the 14th of the next month.
You are wrong. A calendar month is from the first of the month to the end of the month. A month's notice is any day of the month to the same day the next month.

SAguy

Expert Member
You are wrong. A calendar month is from the first of the month to the end of the month. A month's notice is any day of the month to the same day the next month.
No, you are ;)
From Merriam-Webster:
Definition of calendar month

1 : one of the months as named in the calendar

2 : the period from a day of one month to the corresponding day of the next month if such exists or if not to the last day of the next month (as from January 3 to February 3 or from January 31 to February 29)
From Cambridge Dictionary:

From Collin's Dictionary:

Attachments

maumau

Honorary Master
moonlighting is generally frowned apon and not tolerated as it is very hard for someone to keep their time separate, also when candles are burned from both ends generally the performance will suffer.
Yeah, suppose both jobs will suffer.

Matt91

I upped and left Homer Simpson style (middle fingers in the air), granted my 3 month probation contract was already expired and they were delaying making me permanent and not sticking to the terms we had agreed to before I started.

Long story short they promised me a salary of X amount after 3 months and obviously I would then be made permanent (job security and all that). A week after my contract expired I approached the MD, he spun me some BS story that that the HR exec who hired me had no right to promise me anything. Literally walked out straight after the meeting.

Mars

Honorary Master
Nope, calendar month can also mean from a specific day to another day. There's been a couple of cases of this ended up at CCMA that I know of.
A calendar month is from the first day till the last day of the month, even if that month is February. It does not mean from a specific day to a specific day.

SAguy

Expert Member
Incorrect. A calendar month is from the first day till the last day of the month, even if that month is February. It does not mean from a specific day to a specific day.

I cited three dictionaries above which indicate that it can mean both. My point is that it is ambiguous, which the dictionaries show as well.

SAguy

Expert Member

ponder

Honorary Master
Someone sees calendar month in their contract, they aren't sure what it means so they google it, and the first result says it could be either.
The person simply has to ask themselves why are the specifying a calendar month and not simply saying a months notice.

SAguy

Expert Member
The person simply has to ask themselves why are the specifying a calendar month and not simply saying a months notice.
Leaving it up to the interpretation of the person reading it.
It's ambiguous, even labour lawyers agree - the confusion can be cleared by just using different phrasing or terminology.

Or a calendar month should be defined somewhere in the contract as well.

SAguy

Expert Member
My contract says 30 days.
Plain and simple. Why aren't they all like that?
Yeah, leaves no room for error.
Or say one month but resignations can only be done on the last day of the month - if you want people to work out a full month from start to end.

EADC

Expert Member
Nope, calendar month can also mean from a specific day to another day. There's been a couple of cases of this ended up at CCMA that I know of.
So you make a good point so I actually went to my own contract and states with effect the last day of the month, with minimum notice being 1 calendar month.

So that clears up any confusion.

SAguy

Expert Member
So you make a good point so I actually went to my own contract and states with effect the last day of the month, with minimum notice being 1 calendar month.

So that clears up any confusion.
That helps clear up the confusion yeah, some companies don't clarify that and then the employee ends up in a fix if the new employer can't wait for them.