Restoring WhatsApp chat history via iCloud

TFTC

So this last week I bought an iPhone 11 to replace my ageing iPhone 6 which was no longer receiving iOS mainstream updates. I carefully backed up my chat history including videos going back to 2014 when I first used an iPhone. When I restored the backup on new iPhone, only the chats came but no media. Reached out to Apple and they suggested reinstalling the app which I did but that did not solve the problem. Reached out to WhatsApp and they said if I am not seeing any media it means my backup was corrupted during the backup process. I have since backed up about three times still with not success. Online, it seems that is a common problem with many other people having exactly the same issue as seen on this Apple discussion thread. On some forums they have even said since my last backup was done on iPhone 6 whose latest update is 12.4.6 the database with the media is incompatible with the new phone which is running iOS 13.4.1. Both phones are running the latest version of WhatsApp. does this mean iOS versions are not backward compatible regarding old backups? Has anyone moved to a newer iPhone from an old device no longer supported and successfully restored their chats and media?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Have you tried a manual backup via a PC/Mac?

Also have you ticked this box in WhatsApp before making the backup?

TFTC

Have you tried a manual backup via a PC/Mac?

Also have you ticked this box in WhatsApp before making the backup?

The option to include videos is checked but I think I will have to try and restore via PC and see if it works

mercury12

Expert Member
So this last week I bought an iPhone 11 to replace my ageing iPhone 6 which was no longer receiving iOS mainstream updates. I carefully backed up my chat history including videos going back to 2014 when I first used an iPhone. When I restored the backup on new iPhone, only the chats came but no media. Reached out to Apple and they suggested reinstalling the app which I did but that did not solve the problem. Reached out to WhatsApp and they said if I am not seeing any media it means my backup was corrupted during the backup process. I have since backed up about three times still with not success. Online, it seems that is a common problem with many other people having exactly the same issue as seen on this Apple discussion thread. On some forums they have even said since my last backup was done on iPhone 6 whose latest update is 12.4.6 the database with the media is incompatible with the new phone which is running iOS 13.4.1. Both phones are running the latest version of WhatsApp. does this mean iOS versions are not backward compatible regarding old backups? Has anyone moved to a newer iPhone from an old device no longer supported and successfully restored their chats and media?
Did you resolve this issue? I had this issue twice, where whatsapp did not restore the media from my icloud backup. For some reason I had to ensure my display was kept on (dont let the phone lock) and had whatsapp open while the backup was restored. Sounds strange but it worked.