Restrictions and limits on my CAP for Home Network

stormbul

Hi There,

I really do hope someone can help me out here.

My set-up is as follow:

Telkom ADSL with 8 port Switch and Standalone AP

I have 2 PC's linked on LAN with an extra port in the guest room with a fly lead if necessary

There is 3 Laptops connected to the AP, mine, my wife's and my daughters'

NO my problem.

I want to restrict my daughters laptop and the 1 LAN PC to only be able to browse the net and access email. I want to restrict Torrent DL's and normal browser file DL. if possible only bigger than 10MB 'cause I don't mind her downloading a mp3 or 2.

Is there a way i can setup a server with proxy for this?

I do have a spare PC that I can use for such a purpous.

Please let me know, as my CAP doesn't make it through the month, and I can't afford uncapped at the speed I'm currently working on, as I need the speed when connecting to remote PC's all over africa.

Regards

Christo van Dyk

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
How old is your daughter? Easiest way to do this is via something like Parental Control built into Windows 7 - you can block off domains etc quite easily - bit difficult to do if she is old enough that 'her' computer is a no-go for you since PC pretty much means she has no privacy on that machine.

Alternatively, yes, you can setup the spare as a proxy server and set restrictions that way

This article (http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/set-proxy-server-ubuntu-linux/) will get you started.

Have fun