Retail Value of CTi Golf for Insurance

MiY4Gi

Expert Member
Hi, dad's 1994 CTi golf is insured for R15000 (Retail Value). His installment is R635 with Budget. Am I getting a good deal?

I checked Gumtree and I don't see any CTi's in similar condition going for R15000 or less, so if the car get's written off I won't find a CTi for that price. How does my insurance arrive at a retail value of R15000? Is this normally how insurance works for second hand cars?

Pitbull

Verboten
How much your dad want for it? :eek: Let's kill 2 birds with 1 stone...

dunkyd

Executive Member
What else is on the policy ? House contents of 1 million Ront and a small 4 seater plane?

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
That is a very good deal. CTi values at R15k should cost about R1500 to insure, it is a very high risk machine.

shooter69

Expert Member
Hi, dad's 1994 CTi golf is insured for R15000 (Retail Value). His installment is R635 with Budget. Am I getting a good deal?

I checked Gumtree and I don't see any CTi's in similar condition going for R15000 or less, so if the car get's written off I won't find a CTi for that price. How does my insurance arrive at a retail value of R15000? Is this normally how insurance works for second hand cars?

Just take 3rd party. That car is too old and you are paying too much in insurance. Rather put R1000 away monthly and within 2 years you can replace the car in cash if something happens..

Reactions: rh1

MiY4Gi

Expert Member
Lol, no, we're not selling. In fact, I'm slowly trying to restore it. I I usually drive it, that's why I'm so concerned about the seemingly low insured value. Well, the car has seen better days (before my sister started driving it), but the car's been insured at that value since 2001, and at that time it looked pretty good.

I just want peace of mind knowing that if I accidentally total the car, I can get myself another CTi. I don't feel that way with the current insurance.

That is a very good deal. CTi values at R15k should cost about R1500 to insure, it is a very high risk machine.

Very high risk? How so? You mean coz it's usually used for dicing?

Last edited:

Coasti

Expert Member
Just take 3rd party. That car is too old and you are paying too much in insurance. Rather put R1000 away monthly and within 2 years you can replace the car in cash if something happens..

+1, you should have stopped paying insurance quite a while ago already, you could have saved up much more than R15000.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Very high risk? How so? You mean coz it's usually used for dicing?
Yes, dicing cars worth more than most people's houses. So you can expect a premium that is about a 10th or the same price as the car.... each month!

dj_jyno

Expert Member
*cough* Bulls**t *cough*

@ the OP - you are getting shafted. My 2000 Citi 1.3 was insured for R30 000 at R102 / month with Santam.

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
It's very old but I have it as:
1994 CITI GOLF 1.8 L CTI
Market:150900
Retail: 18300
Trade: 13500

Insurers normally have a minimum sum insured which means up till that value the premium stays the same, which would cover at least 1x windscreen claims costs etc.

Beware of Budget and their driver policy stating who is the normal driver etc and if you use the vehicle often you could be in for a surprise.

Yes they are hi risk vehicles because of theft and for parts etc. And because as you state used for dicing and "hotting up".

$m@Rt@$$

Expert Member

That feels high. My 3 series goes for R1k. But I suppose it's a high risk car since you can steal it with a fork. You can insure for retail with the ceiling being the book value.

Topdoggdbn

The vehicle is insured at retail/market/book value.
Just had my tazz taken and was paid out slightly above market value which was about half of replacement value.
Get 3rd party and save the rest. It is a diminishing risk.

I.am.Sam

Honorary Master
my golf is valued at 36500 or something and im paying R420

its normal

saturnz

Honorary Master

thats the reality of the insurance industry, you can ask for a higher insured value but that will come with costs and terms&conditions which would basically render the car useless for daily driving.

when my superboss was written off they wanted to pay me 10k on the basis that the car's market value was around R15k according to them, they ended up paying me R90k after I wrote a report showing the car's market value to be significantly higher than their 15k figure. This was a third party claim so much easier, but theres basically nothing you can do to get a better payout with your current premium.

Last edited:

dunkyd

Executive Member
Just checked mine……..3 cars with value of R220,000 and paying R919. With M & F.

Budget is screwing you!

Parrie

I checked on the following model:
Make = VOLKSWAGEN / Model = CITI GOLF 1.8 L SPORT H/B
Year = 1994

The retail value is R16500. This value comes from an auto dealers catelog to which the insurance company's system is connected, hence they actually "buy" that information from a reputable auto dealers company.

Remember the value of the car is just one aspect of determining the premium you pay. Claims history, area, age, license type and number of years you have your lisence is also taken into consideration.

Given all that the premium I got quoted was R 293.02.

muazzamb

Paying R635 for 15k insurance is excessive in every way. You can buy a 15k golf every 20 months if you saved that instead.

I.am.Sam

Honorary Master
I checked on the following model:
Make = VOLKSWAGEN / Model = CITI GOLF 1.8 L SPORT H/B
Year = 1994

The retail value is R16500. This value comes from an auto dealers catelog to which the insurance company's system is connected, hence they actually "buy" that information from a reputable auto dealers company.

Remember the value of the car is just one aspect of determining the premium you pay. Claims history, area, age, license type and number of years you have your lisence is also taken into consideration.

Given all that the premium I got quoted was R 293.02.

who is this with ?

MiY4Gi

Expert Member
Thank you people, your input has been really helpful. You've given my folks a lot to think about. Anyway, any idea how much 3rd party might insurance cost?