Retail Value of CTi Golf for Insurance

FiestaST

Honorary Master
My uncle had a Blue 94" CTI back in the day...lekker "dangerous" car...

ands45

That premium is crazy. I am with Budget and my 2010 Audi A3 premium is about that a month and insured value is something like 160K.

As a contrast something doesn't sound right there.

mr_norris

Expert Member
When I bought my VW CTi 1995 ,the previous owner had it under insurance, he said it was about +- R600. He went to an ordinary dealership who valued it at R30 000, but a “classic car dealership” estimated value was around R62 000 . i Spent a lot of time & money on this car & plan on selling ,most people offered me R35 000 ‍♂️I can’t say I attached pics below honestly how much can I get for this car ?
I'm gonna be a party pooper here. Take what I say as a worst case. I don't see you getting near 60k. In the end, no matter how much you've modded it and how much time you spent tinkering, you are selling a 25 year old car, built on an old platform, that is also an easy steal and a big red flag for hijacking.

Saying that, perhaps you may find someone with loaded pockets who would appreciate the work you've done and the condition it's in.

As for that insurance premium of R600, what exactly was in the schedule? Was it comprehensive cover, or just third party fire, and theft, did it include household cover? It could have had a higher premium because of the previous owner being a high risk, or because of mods to the car. A high premium doesn't really translate to a high value. I pay ~R600 for my 2013 car with a trade in value of 110k.

As for getting an idea of value, if you add your cat to the FNB app, it'll give you a trade in value. AFAIK even non FNB customers can do this.

Otherwise, just look and see what people on gumtree, etc, are selling golfs for to get an idea. But bear in mind that a lot of people have high hopes and tend to over value what they're selling.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
I'm gonna be a party pooper here. Take what I say as a worst case. I don't see you getting near 60k. In the end, no matter how much you've modded it and how much time you spent tinkering, you are selling a 25 year old car, built on an old platform, that is also an easy steal and a big red flag for hijacking.

Saying that, perhaps you may find someone with loaded pockets who would appreciate the work you've done and the condition it's in.

As for that insurance premium of R600, what exactly was in the schedule? Was it comprehensive cover, or just third party fire, and theft, did it include household cover? It could have had a higher premium because of the previous owner being a high risk, or because of mods to the car. A high premium doesn't really translate to a high value. I pay ~R600 for my 2013 car with a trade in value of 110k.

As for getting an idea of value, if you add your cat to the FNB app, it'll give you a trade in value. AFAIK even non FNB customers can do this.

Otherwise, just look and see what people on gumtree, etc, are selling golfs for to get an idea. But bear in mind that a lot of people have high hopes and tend to over value what they're selling.
Dunno, Dub boys be crazy yo.

Splinter

Honorary Master
When I bought my VW CTi 1995 ,the previous owner had it under insurance, he said it was about +- R600. He went to an ordinary dealership who valued it at R30 000, but a “classic car dealership” estimated value was around R62 000 . i Spent a lot of time & money on this car & plan on selling ,most people offered me R35 000 ‍♂️I can’t say I attached pics below honestly how much can I get for this car ?

Other than the thread necro, I really don't know what you are saying. Plus I will never click on your embedded pictures. I'm cynical like that.

rh1

Expert Member
@Waanie_A96: Are you asking about insurance value or what you think your car can be realistically sold at. Truth is there is a market cap, i.e. even if you dropped R100k into the car, the car wont be worth R100k. I used the word dropped purposely, as it is not an investment. Be careful not to confuse spending money on your hobby vs investment.

If you want to have any hope of recouping your spent money is to find another fanboy who wants a car such as yours but does not want do the work.

Now to a cars value, it is simply what another person is willing to pay for it. You stated people were willing to pay R35k for it, then this is your market value. Putting in your original parts might still yield you a R35k selling price or it might reduced your selling price significantly.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Truth is that a Golf is a poor man's car, no matter what edition it is, so the minute you want to sell it you must understand your market is made up of peasants who just want something to go from A to B.

Having said that some people like me do appreciate a well taken care of car, I don't care for coil overs and all the juvenile stuff, a well looked after, clean car is appealing to me and I would pay slightly more for it.

Hopefully you do find someone who appreciates the value but even then it's highly unlikely they'll appreciate it enough to pay more than R50k.