Retrenching a domestic and covering your bases - have I left anything out?

bromster

Expert Member
This thread would have won an iRobot Roomba.

I can't believe how much you can do for and give to a domestic worker, only to be spat on when money is tight. Ours must have broken over R25k worth of appliances, ornaments etc. over the years. We have given her money, clothes, microwaves etc, but they will still be knocking on the CCMA's doors the day after they are let go.

cerebus

Honorary Master
I recently discovered that my favourite North Face rain jacket was probably nicked by our previous domestic... that crushed my soul.

MisterBigglesworth

Expert Member
Seems she starts first thing Monday, 5 days a week so no free days. As accidents happens, ja well no fine...thinking back...it adds up though.

Well my wife is now worried she will steal and take a chance as she arrives when no one is there as my wife and I work long hours. Most days there is some else in the house in the afternoons when she leaves...but hey...like I said...ah fun times...

MisterBigglesworth

Expert Member
Well, seems there has been a misunderstanding. She has not found a new job yet, she went to a placement agency who are finding her a job. Wow. After all this, I drew up the new contract for her 3 day a week, presented it to her, told her about our financial situation (which was not easy) etc..she said she was fine with it but didn't yet sign the new contract. Guess that should have been a sign...

So this means she has resigned, given only 3 days notice so loses her 5 days leave payout and she cant claim UIF as she has resigned. I really have no idea what she was thinking or what her grand plan is? Added, she tells me she doesn't want to work for the hours I set in the new 3 day working week contract. WTF...it's not even a 8 hour work day...8:30 - 16:30 with 1 hour lunch? She wants to work 8:30 - 15:45. We have a little kid...the idea being she would stay and watch him sometimes if we run very late...but ja, guess not huh?

I dunno...I tried to be as accommodating as possible so we don't just turf her, explained it all and through the last 24 hours...her true character seems to be coming out...man this irritates me.

@cerebus - I dunno dude...I would have said ja that's fine, and told her about some possible work, but right now I can't say I'm comfortable recommending her. She does a good job cleaning etc, but her character that is coming out is a bit worrying. It's up to you though, let me know...

Hosehead

Executive Member
I recently discovered that my favourite North Face rain jacket was probably nicked by our previous domestic... that crushed my soul.

Horrible feeling. I have one too and every time I can't find the inner fleece it I go into a blind panic.

I don't care what anyone says, but the reality is that they all nick something sooner or later - Coffee, tea, and sugar are to be expected to deplete mysteriously.

Some of them have exceedingly good taste. A bottle of a 1959 Muscadel was most likely nicked by a former domestic but unless you have cameras all over you can't prove these things. I can't stand petty theft. It irritates the living hell out of me.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Some of them have exceedingly good taste. A bottle of a 1959 Muscadel was most likely nicked by a former domestic but unless you have cameras all over you can't prove these things. I can't stand petty theft. It irritates the living hell
out of me.
This I completely agree with.

My folks had a priceless set of leaded Boer war glasses and a jug ruined because a maid decided we wouldn't notice the jug and one glass missing because they were stored in a cupboard and never used.

cerebus

Honorary Master
Horrible feeling. I have one too and every time I can't find the inner fleece it I go into a blind panic.

I don't care what anyone says, but the reality is that they all nick something sooner or later - Coffee, tea, and sugar are to be expected to deplete mysteriously.

Some of them have exceedingly good taste. A bottle of a 1959 Muscadel was most likely nicked by a former domestic but unless you have cameras all over you can't prove these things. I can't stand petty theft. It irritates the living hell out of me.
A guy I travel with recently had to set up a sting and then openly confront and fire his domestic :/

If anyone wants a 1-2 day a week our current domestic is on the lookout, also in the Strand area. Of all the maids we've used I can recommend her the most highly, she's quite a sweet woman actually and we trust her alone with the boys. Again, PM me.

CF: Yeah no I think I'll pass sorry. She'll find work I'm sure.

MisterBigglesworth

Expert Member
Well, she just didnt pitch for her last day of work today and I cant get hold of her. WTF. Seriously pissed off...not a chance in hell she will get a reference from me! :mad: Added...now I'm worried she has actually taken stuff and that's her reason for not coming in. Going to have to go through the house and check our stuff when we get home :mad:

@cerebus - might need someone for the next few weeks while we try sort out what we going to do. Will chat to my wife and get back to your ASAP.

SmartKit

SmartKit Rep
Well, seems there has been a misunderstanding. She has not found a new job yet, she went to a placement agency who are finding her a job. Wow. After all this, I drew up the new contract for her 3 day a week, presented it to her, told her about our financial situation (which was not easy) etc..she said she was fine with it but didn't yet sign the new contract. Guess that should have been a sign...

So this means she has resigned, given only 3 days notice so loses her 5 days leave payout and she cant claim UIF as she has resigned. I really have no idea what she was thinking or what her grand plan is? Added, she tells me she doesn't want to work for the hours I set in the new 3 day working week contract. WTF...it's not even a 8 hour work day...8:30 - 16:30 with 1 hour lunch? She wants to work 8:30 - 15:45. We have a little kid...the idea being she would stay and watch him sometimes if we run very late...but ja, guess not huh?

I dunno...I tried to be as accommodating as possible so we don't just turf her, explained it all and through the last 24 hours...her true character seems to be coming out...man this irritates me.

@cerebus - I dunno dude...I would have said ja that's fine, and told her about some possible work, but right now I can't say I'm comfortable recommending her. She does a good job cleaning etc, but her character that is coming out is a bit worrying. It's up to you though, let me know...
CrazyFig, sounds like you got off lucky without much financial implications. However, she still has an opportunity to go the CCMA claiming "constructive dismissal" on the basis of reducing her compensation and increasing her hours. It would be in your best interests to get her to sign a settlement agreement where you pay her her last month's wages and her leave days and in return she agrees to retrenchment. I understand you can ill afford such a settlement but it might cost you a lot more if she doesn't leave quietly.

Sorry to burst the bubble, but in this country it is something you need to be aware of.

SmartKit

SmartKit Rep
Well, she just didnt pitch for her last day of work today and I cant get hold of her. WTF. Seriously pissed off...not a chance in hell she will get a reference from me! :mad: Added...now I'm worried she has actually taken stuff and that's her reason for not coming in. Going to have to go through the house and check our stuff when we get home :mad:

@cerebus - might need someone for the next few weeks while we try sort out what we going to do. Will chat to my wife and get back to your ASAP.
CrazyFig, as I mentioned, let's hope that is the last you hear from her. If so then you have avoided what could have been a rather unpleasant and costly situation.

Good luck!

MyWorld

Executive Member
So this means she has resigned, given only 3 days notice so loses her 5 days leave payout and she cant claim UIF as she has resigned.
Don't be so sure. We just went through this exercise with our latest employee who's contract expired. He worked one day into the notice month and went AWOL and never showed up for work again, never even contacted us for about two months. So on the UIF form we issued him two months afterwards when he finally requested it, we mentioned that he was absent without leave.

The labour department FORCED us to change this. I told them outright it is fraud and I will not do it unless I have the request on a letterhead and signed. A couple of hours later the ex-employee showed up with the letter.
:wtf:

cerebus

Honorary Master
That could work out nicely... we need someone full time for about 2 weeks in July (MrsC's having nr3) and if she does a few weeks stint with you guys it could segue nicely for us to use her over that period. Eh well let me know anyways, I'll give you her contact details if you need.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Don't be so sure. We just went through this exercise with our latest employee who's contract expired. He worked one day into the notice month and went AWOL and never showed up for work again, never even contacted us for about two months. So on the UIF form we issued him two months afterwards when he finally requested it, we mentioned that he was absent without leave.

The labour department FORCED us to change this. I told them outright it is fraud and I will not do it unless I have the request on a letterhead and signed. A couple of hours later the ex-employee showed up with the letter.
:wtf:
I would have told the labour department to fsck off, even with the letter on their letter head.

Its plain and simple fraud.