Retrenchment in SA is ‘one of the gravest situations in the world’

DreamKing

Executive Member
CR said the economy is getting better now, you guys must be patient and wait, you don't believe him?

:rolleyes:

:p :D

hawker

Honorary Master
Is there data to suggest that the closing down companies are not being replaced by other companies? i.e. competitors, redundant etc.
No data, but in my industry there is nobody taking up the people that get retrenched. It's insane.

The_MAC

Executive Member
No data, but in my industry there is nobody taking up the people that get retrenched. It's insane.
But what do the actual numbers say? e.g. Metal Industry shrinking, but Telecommunications growing

Could it not just be a shift in the required workforce - whether we have the skills is another conversation.

reactor_sa

Executive Member
It's bad, but other economies aren't exactly booming either. UK, Australia, Canada are popular emigration destinations but it's not booming over their either, it's just a lot worse here. The world economy is slowing a lot.

Beyond.Celsus

Expert Member
But what do the actual numbers say? e.g. Metal Industry shrinking, but Telecommunications growing

Could it not just be a shift in the required workforce - whether we have the skills is another conversation.
Telecommunications growing - in some areas.
Brick and mortar shops disappearing leaving many jobless. As things move to online only lots of people become redundant. Companies are starting to contract third party call centers leaving their own jobless.

Look at standard bank and the rate they are closing branches. Why? People do things online now.
Economy is not the only reason for retrenchments.
Being made obsolete by technology is rapidly increasing.

The_MAC

Executive Member
Telecommunications growing - in some areas.
Brick and mortar shops disappearing leaving many jobless. As things move to online only lots of people become redundant. Companies are starting to contract third party call centers leaving their own jobless.

Look at standard bank and the rate they are closing branches. Why? People do things online now.
Economy is not the only reason for retrenchments.
Being made obsolete by technology is rapidly increasing.
I understand the world is changing - industries reduce in size, and the focus shifts into other sectors.

What I am suggesting is that the strain is big, but not as big as the title suggests.

Trilkop

It's bad, but other economies aren't exactly booming either. UK, Australia, Canada are popular emigration destinations but it's not booming over their either, it's just a lot worse here. The world economy is slowing a lot.
LOLOLOLOLOLOL :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

I am making a killing with my US shares. Economy is going great all around, only SA and its fellow loser countries suffering.

Do not believe the propaganda that the world is suffering.

ɹǝuuᴉM

Expert Member
Link? The world is doing just fine. Not exactly booming but not in recession either. South Africa had over - 3% in first quarter and the second one doesn't look much better either. Go jump...

garp

Executive Member
Anecdotally, I've never seen more negative sentiment in the business environment in 30 years of running my own business. I don't think these imbeciles in charge understand the impact of their policies. It's not that it's impossible to make money, it's that everyone is just fed up with constant union issues, insane levels of crime, constant threatening about land, SOEs being driven into the ground soaking up more and more of our tax money, and the never-ending corruption without even the hint of any major prosecutions. There is this sense of impending doom and endemic decline. So many people are packing up and leaving and so many businesses are looking at ways of doing business outside of SA. It's not good to live with such negativity.

Quicks

Well with all these brilliantly thought out policies, who would have expected any less. Government spending and corruption surely does not help their case either...