Retrenchments

RedViking

Nord of the South
Paying salaries on the 25th is just a convention but there's nothing stopping a company from paying your salary on the last day of the month. After all your salary is for the period from 1st of the month to the last day of the month.
Yes there is nothing wrong with it, contract says salary on the 25th. But it is a clear indication they have financial issues.

MEIOT

Expert Member
Yes there is nothing wrong with it, contract says salary on the 25th. But it is a clear indication they have financial issues.

A few more days in the bank accrues the additional interest they may possibly be 'banking' on - so to speak

Cius

Executive Member
If they move the date later they should adjust the salary upwards but the period moved, otherwise they are robbing you for time worked.

Venomous

Honorary Master
If they move the date later they should adjust the salary upwards but the period moved, otherwise they are robbing you for time worked.
If they pay you on the 25th for working 1-31 March they have in effect been paying the last 5 days in advace. And that is why most companies pay a person who's leaving on the last day of that month, to ensure the work is done for the salary paid.

Moving it to the last day in the same month would not be considered unjust.

If they said move it to the 10th of the next month then yes MAJOR alarm bells and other bad things according to law

Cius

Executive Member
Que?
It's for working 1st to last day of the month.
If you start halfway through the month at any company they don't generally pay you the full month, they pay you your daily rate for days worked. Same principle here. If they move the date out by say 5 work days and never make the adjustment you worked a week for free.

Same thing happens if you resign in a company that does not do the whole calendar month thing. If you only work half the month you only get half the pay.

maumau

Honorary Master
So you lose out on the month you join and again on the month you leave?

Last edited:

Venomous

Honorary Master
If you start halfway through the month at any company they don't generally pay you the full month, they pay you your daily rate for days worked. Same principle here. If they move the date out by say 5 work days and never make the adjustment you worked a week for free.

Same thing happens if you resign in a company that does not do the whole calendar month thing. If you only work half the month you only get half the pay.
If you start on the 20th they should pay you from 20th - 30/31st then next month you get your full salary.

One company I once worked at paid over for actual days worked with the first pay payment and then added the remaining 5/6 with the full pay of the next month.

It was a high stress enviroment due to the nature of the industry it was in. And many people left before the end of the first month.
Such persons where then paid what is fairly due to them after they have left.

Aqua_lung

Honorary Master
I just wish I could find a way to get a better income so she can stop working. :cautious:
Same here. I'm now forced to start something on my own and on the look out for a co-founder. I've tried starting a business here but CIPC and SARS are such a pain that I'll be registering a company abroad.

SmuGS

Soo.. I just got the letter today after 12 years with the company.. 2nd time in my life now. Things gonna change drastically in the next few weeks.. FFS..!!!!!

SmuGS

A lot of this will happen now, companies want to wrap things up before the new financial year..