Retrenchments

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
My wife just got a letter that they will officially start paying salaries on the last day of the month. It used to be before the 25th. I do not understand the logic behind it.
Probably cashflow.

You might find that there is a customer that is paying them late and its that 5 days with an empty bank account that is killing them.... sounds tight !

Cius

Executive Member
Hearing of a lot of companies that are shutting or downscaling. A lot just lost too much money due to loadshedding, or just the general slump in the economy. Really tough times ahead. Sorry to all those being retrenched. Good luck and hope you find something soon again.

Cius

Executive Member
They just announced a major restructure in my company that will include potential job losses. Fortunately it is not in my division. Still no view of how many jobs will be lost but sounds like it may be a few in the retail and business banking space.

hawker

Honorary Master
I'm in consulting engineering and we are in our 3rd round of "right sizing" in as many years.

Luckily we figured out a way to get a lot of work from overseas so our department is ok for now, but we had to do that because the local industry collapsed .

thechamp

Honorary Master
And you hear people baying for the scalps of 15 000 employees at Eskom, as if job losses are not a big deal.

Cius

Executive Member
And you hear people baying for the scalps of 15 000 employees at Eskom, as if job losses are not a big deal.
If Eskom has to run at a profit, due to headcount it is running at a loss. If its debt problem continues it will cause South Africa's credit rating to be downgraded to junk. If that happens hundreds of thousands of jobs could be lost. So yes, we want a few people who are not contributing anything to be fired from Eskom.

thechamp

Honorary Master
If Eskom has to run at a profit, due to headcount it is running at a loss. If its debt problem continues it will cause South Africa's credit rating to be downgraded to junk. If that happens hundreds of thousands of jobs could be lost. So yes, we want a few people who are not contributing anything to be fired from Eskom.
It is mostly the callousness with which it is being treated with that I have an issue with, something I don't see in this thread, everyone is considerate and appreciate the impact things like retrenchments and job losses has on the livelihood of people.

Perhaps Eskom employees look like cadres and ANC voters to some, I don't know.

Emjay

Executive Member
It is mostly the callousness with which it is being treated with that I have an issue with, something I don't see in this thread, everyone is considerate and appreciate the impact things like retrenchments and job losses has on the livelihood of people.

The salaries and benefits at Eskom are beyond ridiculous. They used to call me often to try and head hunt me. I would never work there, or for any other government organization in my life. The waste and sheer incompetence at government organisations made me cold to my bones. I am amazing every day that somehow things still manage to stay together.

Cius

Executive Member

Understood and agreed. My sister (an engineer) works for Eskom and it could impact her. So I don't say it casually. It will obviously be very painful for the people retrenched. Unfortunately though it has to be done. If you don't adjust a business headcount when needed the outcome is worse, as the whole company can instead fail, Rather lose 10% of your jobs than 100%. In the case of a state owned entity the country can be negatively affected as a whole. Comparisons between Eskom and other power utilities around the world show that we are astonishingly overstaffed for the amount of power we generate. All the government bailouts, and electricity hikes of the last few years is money that is wasted that could have created other more productive jobs. Waste never helps an economy. I know of many business that closed due to their business using electricity as a large portion of their base cost and the crazy above inflation price increases year after year eventually put them out of business. One cannot look at job cuts in isolation.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
They just announced a major restructure in my company that will include potential job losses. Fortunately it is not in my division. Still no view of how many jobs will be lost but sounds like it may be a few in the retail and business banking space.
My group has shed 800 jobs nationally since the start of the year. My company alone cut 60 over the past two months.

1558089203895.png

http://www.statssa.gov.za/?p=12115

TelkomUseless

Executive Member

Hmm.. Eskom has R1.6 BILLION food bill... how the fck? That is insane ... you earn a salary, bring your own food.

How many jobs can be saved by cutting R1.6Billion food parcel? But that is what irks me...

Cius

Executive Member
Hmm.. Eskom has R1.6 BILLION food bill... how the fck? That is insane ... you earn a salary, bring your own food.

How many jobs can be saved by cutting R1.6Billion food parcel? But that is what irks me...
What? 1.6 billion divided by 30K employees is like over 50K per employee if my math is right. That is insane.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
I'm very thankful that in 2013 I was sent off to join a team working off site as part of a "start up vibe". There I spent long hours developing something few others knew about yet the entire business depends upon. That year shaped me in many ways, gave me good job security, a passion for what I do. My first threesome with two ladies... Anyways, I love my job - 6 years in and 17 more years of it I'll retire at 55.

Tander

Executive Member
I'm very thankful that in 2013 I was sent off to join a team working off site as part of a "start up vibe". There I spent long hours developing something few others knew about yet the entire business depends upon. That year shaped me in many ways, gave me good job security, a passion for what I do. My first threesome with two ladies... Anyways, I love my job - 6 years in and 17 more years of it I'll retire at 55.
Cool story bro...