Return policies for xbox one game discs bought in the past 3 months that are defective

WolfG0d

Just got my first console late july xbox one x and early august my first game Red Dead Redemption 2 , I started leaving the disc in the xbox because I had no other game discs to swap out and thought this was ok as I have left discs in drives before on my pc with no incidences for new discs getting damaged ever. Didn't play for two weeks and now the disc refuses to recognize the game key, still reads the disc and launches the game but asks for the play disc to be inserted as it cannot read the game key...I tried to troubleshoot it according to xbox assist but I dont have another xbox to test it nor could i find a store that had a working xbox on the floor you can use for testing, I did buy a used game that had scratches on it and the xbox worked fine installed that game from disc even and let me play. Paid a lot for this game does anyone know what the return/refund policy is on xbox one games bought from Game4u stores or if there is anything I can do to get it working I have also submitted a support ticket with rockstar support last week but they havent replied looks like its just being ignored?

PsYTraNc3

Expert Member
Contact Xbox support.
They are quite helpful and should be able to assist.

I have the One X since launch day and leave disks in the console all the time.
Also have RDR2 since it launched and that spent quite a long time in the console and now back in the box (Played for about 1 hour in total :X3:)

WolfG0d

I've about given up right now unless I can get a refund/replace or a way to get the disk working on another machine , spent last week running around looking for solutions I feel like support will give me the same run around as xbox assist I eventually went and bought the game again from the microsoft store and it now plays without the disc because its linked to the profile so just checking if there are any return/replace policy at game4u stores or do I just throw the disc away

Matt91

Expert Member
I've about given up right now unless I can get a refund/replace or a way to get the disk working on another machine , spent last week running around looking for solutions I feel like support will give me the same run around as xbox assist I eventually went and bought the game again from the microsoft store and it now plays without the disc because its linked to the profile so just checking if there are any return/replace policy at game4u stores or do I just throw the disc away

Might be a little unethical but you could always just sell it as a 2nd hand game to cash crusaders or BT games etc.

WolfG0d

Might be a little unethical but you could always just sell it as a 2nd hand game to cash crusaders or BT games etc.
surely they would want to test it before hand I woudnt to stick someone else with the problem especially when they will end up paying more for what im selling it to these places it doesnt feel right

reactor_sa

Executive Member
I thought physical disc based copies always only worked with the disc in? I mean that's the only way to prevent unlimited amount of people from effectively "copying" the game.

What is the code you speak of? DLC content or a download code for the game on the physical disc (would mean 2 copies for the price of one, so unlikely).

PsYTraNc3

Expert Member
I thought physical disc based copies always only worked with the disc in? I mean that's the only way to prevent unlimited amount of people from effectively "copying" the game.

What is the code you speak of? DLC content or a download code for the game on the physical disc (would mean 2 copies for the price of one, so unlikely).
OP ended up downloading the game from the store.
No disk required or download codes in that case since it's linked to the Microsoft account.

WolfG0d

OP ended up downloading the game from the store.
No disk required or download codes in that case since it's linked to the Microsoft account.
Correct if you have the files downloaded and no disk ,which it reads every few minutes to find the serial key, if you buy it from the microsoft store to won digitally then its linked to your account and wont require a disk to play anymore

WolfG0d

The game is massive around 100gb in size it installs to the xbox from 2 discs and then you always need the play disc to launch the game but you can buy the game from microsoft store and it will link to your account it will automatically detect the game files and let you play

xcaliber

Expert Member
If I recall. The bottom of the disk does not matter but the cover on the top. Could you take a pic of the top ?

Maybe something is scratching the disk top

ponder

Honorary Master
I will have to find a rental store I mean the game store asked if they should try polishing the disc i said no because the guy did a test on a blu ray game they had and it made it worse

Sometimes there is no fix, my gtav boxset had a faulty disc out of the box, no scratches or visible defects. Fortunately I could use the same key on rockstar social club to install off the net.

mattrudlles

Just got my first console late july xbox one x and early august my first game Red Dead Redemption 2 , I started leaving the disc in the xbox because I had no other game discs to swap out and thought this was ok as I have left discs in drives before on my pc with no incidences for new discs getting damaged ever. Didn't play for two weeks and now the disc refuses to recognize the game key, still reads the disc and launches the game but asks for the play disc to be inserted as it cannot read the game key...I tried to troubleshoot it according to xbox assist but I dont have another xbox to test it nor could i find a store that had a working xbox on the floor you can use for testing, I did buy a used game that had scratches on it and the xbox worked fine installed that game from disc even and let me play. Paid a lot for this game does anyone know what the return/refund policy is on xbox one games bought from Game4u stores or if there is anything I can do to get it working I have also submitted a support ticket with rockstar support last week but they havent replied looks like its just being ignored?
Exercise your statutory warranty in terms of the Consumer Protection Act (CPA) - return it on the basis of it being defective in terms of section 56(2) of the CPA.

Section 56(2) states: Within six months after the delivery of any goods to a consumer, the consumer may return the goods to the supplier, without penalty and at the supplier’s risk and expense, if the goods fail to satisfy the requirements and standards contemplated in section 55, and the supplier must, at the direction of the consumer, either—

(a) repair or replace the failed, unsafe or defective goods; or​
(b) refund to the consumer the price paid by the consumer, for the goods.​

Section 55(2) stipulates that every consumer has a right to receive goods that—

(a) are reasonably suitable for the purposes for which they are generally intended;​
(b) are of good quality, in good working order and free of any defects;​
(c) will be useable and durable for a reasonable period of time, having regard to the use to which they would normally be put and to all the surrounding circumstances of their supply; and​
(d) comply with any applicable standards set under the Standards Act, 1993 (Act No. 29 of 1993), or any other public regulation.​

Section 1 sets out what "goods" are:

“goods” includes—

(a) anything marketed for human consumption;

(b) any tangible object not otherwise contemplated in paragraph (a), including any medium on which anything is or may be written or encoded;

(c) any literature, music, photograph, motion picture, game, information, data, software, code or other intangible product written or encoded on any medium, or a licence to use any such intangible product;

(d) a legal interest in land or any other immovable property, other than an interest that falls within the definition of “service” in this section; and

(e) gas, water and electricity;

Edit: Don't let them tell you the CPA doesn't apply to imported video games, or that you have to take it up with Rockstar games. In terms of the CPA, any person who sells a good - whether imported or local - becomes the point of responsibility for the CPA in terms of those goods.

Last edited:

WolfG0d

Exercise your statutory warranty in terms of the Consumer Protection Act (CPA) - return it on the basis of it being defective in terms of section 56(2) of the CPA.

Section 56(2) states: Within six months after the delivery of any goods to a consumer, the consumer may return the goods to the supplier, without penalty and at the supplier’s risk and expense, if the goods fail to satisfy the requirements and standards contemplated in section 55, and the supplier must, at the direction of the consumer, either—

(a) repair or replace the failed, unsafe or defective goods; or​
(b) refund to the consumer the price paid by the consumer, for the goods.​

Section 55(2) stipulates that every consumer has a right to receive goods that—

(a) are reasonably suitable for the purposes for which they are generally intended;​
(b) are of good quality, in good working order and free of any defects;​
(c) will be useable and durable for a reasonable period of time, having regard to the use to which they would normally be put and to all the surrounding circumstances of their supply; and​
(d) comply with any applicable standards set under the Standards Act, 1993 (Act No. 29 of 1993), or any other public regulation.​

Section 1 sets out what "goods" are:

“goods” includes—

(a) anything marketed for human consumption;

(b) any tangible object not otherwise contemplated in paragraph (a), including any medium on which anything is or may be written or encoded;

(c) any literature, music, photograph, motion picture, game, information, data, software, code or other intangible product written or encoded on any medium, or a licence to use any such intangible product;

(d) a legal interest in land or any other immovable property, other than an interest that falls within the definition of “service” in this section; and

(e) gas, water and electricity;

Edit: Don't let them tell you the CPA doesn't apply to imported video games, or that you have to take it up with Rockstar games. In terms of the CPA, any person who sells a good - whether imported or local - becomes the point of responsibility for the CPA in terms of those goods.
I tried they told me they arent any warrantys on games if the game was problematic in the first month they would of replaced it they say its got a couple of scratches and I must contact the supplier directly